Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Any Dr's about? It's a WTF type question!
  • ciderinsport
    Free Member

Ok, Mrs CIS is not a well person.

For a couple of years we have been battling to get some surgery that should improve her life. The local surgeon felt he was unable to make the decision to operate to politics with other Dr’s involved in her care, so he referred her for a second opinion.

Second Dr said yep, lets do the op! Booked her in and last week the date was set for this Wednesday.

Then, today, 1st Dr calls 2nd Dr and tells him to cancel it – 1st Dr wants to meet with Mrs CIS in January to ‘discuss options’ (again!)
    It left to 2nd Dr to tell Mrs CIS the news just 40 hours before it should have happened.

WTF is the point of a second opinion if it can be over-ridden?

grannygrinder
    Free Member

Sounds like Dr2 needs to grow a pair!!!

Cougar

Seniority?

I’ve nothing to offer here really, just wanted to wish her the best and say ‘get well soon’.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

I don’t think you’d be able to give enough personal information, in this open forum, about your wife for anyone who knows the NHS to explain this. Your mention of politics is intriguing…

Also I am unsure whether you mean by Dr 1, the surgeon who sought a second opinion and whether that opinion was at a different hospital. Are they part of a multi-disciplinary team?

I’d love to know more to be able to understand and possibly interpret this for you, but I don’t think here is the place.

You don’t usually get Surgeons warning each other off. Possibilities might include that Dr 1 had not given Dr 2 all the information, or had realised something which made the decision to proceed to surgery less sensible. Or ???

However I can understand why you are pissed off. I would think your best chance of an explanation would come from Dr 2

Sorry not to be more use.

killwillforchips
    Free Member

Blimey Doctors are idiots.

Just thought I’d chip in my tuppence worth.
    Hope it works out for yuh wee lady.

Northwind

Is it possible 1st doctor gave 2nd doctor some valid information that changed his view of the procedure? I’ve had treatment plans vary in this way, not so much a question of overruling as 2 heads being better than one.

lasty
    Free Member

Dad was waiting 2 1/2 years for a hernia op – doc wouldnt operate due to high blood pressure. Got that one sorted in a month, sooowhens the op?
    Still refused to operate, without giving a reason. Mucho pestering and jumping through hoops ensued resulting in a 2nd opinion and he was operated on a week later, by another surgeon … The original chap having been struck off .
    I hate see anyone losing their job but in this case it was well justified as the old man wasnt the only patient hed virtually ignored for quite some time.
    Hope she gets sorted….

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Any Dr's about? It's a WTF type question!’ is closed to new replies.