Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Any Doctors/Dermatologist GP's Advice wanted
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

My wife went to the GP today as for sometime she has had a very small brown mark (almost like a blood spot) on the tip of her finger under the skin its not raised doesn’t hurt ooze/bleed.
    She has not caught it or cut it.
    The doctor said she had no idea what it is but doesn’t look serious so has referred her to a Dermatologist, my wife asked could it be cancerous the doctor seemed to think not again referred to a Dermatologist.
    My wife thinks she had it before but it went on its own !?!?
    Any ideas could it be fungal/wort of some sort ?

Many thanks in advance (feel free to tell me to shut up and wait for her to go to the Dermatologist )

busydog
    Free Member

Bet the odds are it will go away it’s own, but by going to the dermatologist you will know for sure.
    I am very senstive to that kind of thing as, during a routine exam about 7 years ago, my dermatologist spotted a dark spot on my back and the biopsy turned out to be melanoma. Had it surgically removed and thanfully, no reoccurence, but it sure as hell got my attention.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

that’s probably not the answer I wanted to hear but I did ask !

I’m glad all is okay with you.

I shouldn’t have posted this thread as its not really the place to get an answer.

However feel free to make me feel better ! (its hard to reassure her)

busydog
    Free Member

I think the peace of mind to be had from the visit to the Derm. will do wonders and I’d wager a lot of money it isn’t serious (non-medical opinion of course). I have just gotten almost over-cautious since my incident–and Mrs Busydog (a nurse) now has me off to the Dermatologist at the slightest spot that shows up. Not to mention making investments in copious quantities of sunscreen.

Actually, this forum is known for picking up good bits of advice on a multitude of non-biking subjects

carlphillips
    Free Member

pics?

unfitgeezer
    Free Member
    busydog
    Free Member

I magnified it onscreen and it looks really symetrical, sort of like a blood blister below the skin surface. Did it appear quickly? Is it possible she pinched in at some point without even realizing it? Might be worth giving it a week/10 days and see if it diminishes–I don’t know about there in the UK, but here in the US, it usually takes a little time to get into a dermatologist unless you are already an estabished patient with the doctor. You can make the appointment and if it goes away in the interim, cancel it.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

she has been referred to a dermatologist which will take a few weeks.

not pinched it she cant remember how quickly it came but I do remember that I looked at in a good few months back (possibly 6 months ago) and apparently it went…and has now reappeared

busydog
    Free Member

Mrs Busydog has some small peeling blisters that periodically, suddenly appear along the sides of her fingers (some sort of contact dermatitis) and by the time she can get an appointment to go into the dermatologist they have cleared up–hopefully that will be the case for your wife as well.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Thanks Busydog lets hope it nothing serious

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

normally all the doctors on here give an opinion but I guess I have asked to much and its hard to say what it could/should/is be.

If you have a story to tell about what so and so found or it was this or that please don’t post it here as I don’t want to hear horror stories etc

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Better close-up photo and more details of the story (duration etc) to my email in profile if you want a GP with an interest in dermatology to look at it.

Has she been told it is a “two week wait” referral ?

Basically new dark brown/ black pigmented lesion usually = urgent referral
    But melanomas come in different colours too.

And 9/10 people we send up to those clinics do not have a melanoma

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Doctor didnt say how long it would take to be referred

its been there a while and as stated above it was there 6 or 7 months ago and she thinks it went and has come back.

thanks for your help I don’t have the finger with me at work so can take a pic this eve if that’s okay ? (8ish this eve)

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Stoatsbrother thanks for your offer of help but Im going to pass on it for a number of reasons, you may look at it and if its not good how are you going to reply to that ? also a picture is not the same as actually seeing the real thing.
    Its best to wait to see the dermatologist rather than an email.
    Thanks one again

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

That’s probably a good idea.
    Good luck

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

cheers

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Any Doctors/Dermatologist GP's Advice wanted’ is closed to new replies.