Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Any doctors in the house?
  • slowjo
    Free Member

Nothing urgent and if necessary I will wander off to the GP but….

My guts like nothing better than to produce copious amounts of gas, particularly when they are subjected to legumes, brassicas, citrus fruit etc.

Anyway, last night the boss happened across the NHS website and reference to the potentially beneficial application of alpha-galactosidase. It looked interesting but what we were unable to tie down was how to get hold of some for use.

I had a chat to a pharmacist who confirmed she knew about it but it was more a case of trying ‘Health Food’ shops like Holland and Barrett. They in turn were unable to assist apart from suggesting something crammed full of other enzymes or these bio yoghurts. Being lactose intolerant, this would be a disaster!

Faced with failure thus far, I decided to chat to the GP but tbh it seems like it would be a waste of his time. I may be wrong about this but I am sure there are people who would benefit from an appointment more than I would. On the off chance then…..to prevent burping for Britain becoming an Olympic Sport (and my getting the gold medal) can anyone help?

(I already have a highly modified diet but it doesn’t cure everything!)

Cougar

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=alpha-galactosidase&tbm=shop

The word “potentially” in your post makes me itch, mind. Why not go to your doctor and ask for their opinion, rather than for something you’ve read about on the Internet. I’m sure there are more deserving cases, but that doesn’t mean your problem isn’t worth treating.

cinnamon_girl

Your problem may or may not be related to low stomach acid. I find this works for me:

http://www.avogel.co.uk/food/molkosan-digestion/

Take first thing before breakfast, mixed with orange juice is fine.

Drac

I already have a highly modified diet but it doesn’t cure everything

Maybe it causes it.

Speak to your GP if you’re concerned.

globalti
    Free Member

See your GP and ask for a referral to a gastroenterologist. My cycling buddy is one and nobody had a better understanding of the chemistry of digestion and the workings of the gut. He will do tests and sort you out properly without the mumbo-jumbo.

slowjo
    Free Member

Sage advice! I will pop along and see him then.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Any doctors in the house?’ is closed to new replies.