Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Any dentists or dental nurses?
  • pikey999
    Free Member

Last week I had a tooth extracted and I’ve got to be honest it was pretty bad took 20 mins and the use of the drill to get it out anyway turns out there is a piece of tooth left in my gum visible now the swelling has gone down. So my question is, is it common or is it as poor as I feel it is? As you can imagine I’m not keen to rush back to let the same dentist have another bash!

crewlie

Might not be tooth, could be some bone from the socket. It’s not uncommon or always bad for some tooth to be left behind, but you should always be told about it and followed up. Go back and get it checked at least then you’ll know and can decide whether or not to let them have another go. They may choose to refer you to an oral surgeon.

pikey999
    Free Member

It feels loose and looks like tooth dentist didnt say anything about it but then she does seem to like to conduct our consultations without speaking where possible! Thanks for the reply.

Candodavid
    Free Member

From Mrs C. Hi, could be a crest of bone or a small piece of tooth left behind.Its not uncommon and usually if left, it will eventually work its way to the surface when it can easily be removed.
    I can understand your apprehension in returning to the dentist,but if you have concerns you should go back, there’s no medals for people who ignore stuff like that!, and she should be able to answer your questions straight away and will be able to tell you the best course of action where it’s concerned,
    hope this helps, I qualified as a Dental Nurse a few years ago!!!!!

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I had a tooth that came out in bits. There was still some tooth that came through the gum months later. Never caused any issues though.

pikey999
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice all looks like I’m going back. Deep joy!!!

sweepy
    Free Member

I had this, some shards worked their own way out, some I picked out and one bit I went back and the dentist pulled it out for me, I could have done it myself but I didnt know.
    Once that big bit came out it felt a lot better very quickly.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Doh

Wrong thread!

robertgray05
    Free Member

Had the same thing recently when my dentist/fiancee took out an impacted molar. I wouldn’t stress – probably bits of bone that have broken off since the extraction. They’ll make their way to the surface over a week or two (amazing what the body can do!) and will come out of their own accord. Worth going back to the dentist as she’ll be able to get them out rather easier than you will yourself 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Any dentists or dental nurses?’ is closed to new replies.