Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Any Def Lep fans in?
  • Cougar

27 years ago, today.

RIP Steve Clark

27 years ago today we lost our beloved Steve Clark. RIP.

Posted by Def Leppard on Monday, January 8, 2018

One of a kind, our Steamin’.

(Apologies for the FB link, it’s publicly viewable and I couldn’t find it anywhere else.)

plumber
    Free Member

Never the same after Steve died however its seems entirely self inflicted

Reading Phil snoozworthy biog doesn’t really shed any light on it other than Phil decided to quit and Steve didn’t

footflaps

Hysteria was such an awesome album, the guy had some talent….

plumber
    Free Member

Not sure how much Steve had to do with that

Most of the glory surely should be with Mutt

zilog6128

Hysteria is still one of my all-time fave albums. The original, not the dad-rock cover version they recorded for the streaming sites (although I appreciate why they did that!)

There’s a great program in the (I think) Classic Albums series on one of the Sky channels (Arts?) about the recording of it. They play about with the masters in the studio and you can really hear how great the harmonies, etc are in isolation. All the guys were great singers which is somewhat unusual for a rock band, plus great musicians to boot IMO.

Most of the glory surely should be with Mutt

He certainly was responsible for the overall sound and made the album what it was, it wouldn’t have been the same with another band doing it though

plumber
    Free Member

As mentioned a time or 2 by Joe

Mutt was the best singer, guitarist, songwriter, arranger in Def Lep, AC/DC,Shania etc……………..

the-muffin-man

Mutt was the best singer, guitarist, songwriter, arranger in Def Lep, AC/DC,Shania etc……………..

I’ve seen them live a few times and I don’t recall seeing Mutt on stage! 😀 He knows how to produce an album though.

And High ‘n’ Dry and Pyromania still sound good to me.

Haven’t listened to any of the new stuff – is it worth bothering with?

zilog6128

Not for me personally, not a patch on the old stuff.

footflaps

I like Def Leppard (2015)…

Rorschach
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AS6y2Nemves[/video]

Cougar

Not for me personally, not a patch on the old stuff.

I quite like the newer stuff. The problem really is that Hysteria was such a tough act to follow. They released Adrenalize and everyone went “it’s exactly like Hysteria, that’s rubbish!” then released Slang and everyone said “it’s totally different from Hysteria, that’s rubbish!”

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

If you like Def Leopard try Vega. Managed by Joe Elliot

[video]https://youtu.be/_20MzF-DOXc[/video]

bikebouy
    Free Member

Awesome guitarist, it was a very sad day when Steamin’ Steve passed on.. not a happy bunny most of the time but bloody hell he could ram out a rhythm and add style to it.. Once described as “bludgeon riffola” by one of the journo hacks from Sounds BITD.. and I reckon a very apt moniker..
    Best line up ever, best era for the Lepz and Hysteria should always be played awesomely loud..

Photos!

angeldust
    Free Member

probably not appropriate

Frankenstein
    Free Member

It was good in the old day but looking back not sure I would enjoy it now.

Let’s get rocked.

whatgoesup

My favourite band back in my early teens (Hysteria came out when I was 11) – I also had a treasured tape of High’n’Dry. Switch 625 full volume on an 80s Walkman – heaven!

Now, as a grown up with a proper stereo – why is all this missing from Spotify !

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

No, but my big Sister had a 7″ single called Rocks Off or Get Your Rocks Off, which I liked as an early teen. CBA googling.

the-muffin-man

Now, as a grown up with a proper stereo – why is all this missing from Spotify !

Record company wrangles…

https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/a3exya/def-leppards-hysteria-has-rocked-for-30-years-but-you-still-cant-stream-it

whatgoesup

Ah dammit – They don’t own their original masters. Universal Music does, and they can’t come to an agreement on the digital rights.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/def-leppard-singer-slams-former-record-label-over-digital-rights-to-back-catalog/

wrightyson
    Free Member

I remember one lad bringing a taped copy in to school and it was “re mastered” about 20 times in the first 48 hours. It was so immediately popular.

Northwind

Cougar – Moderator

I quite like the newer stuff. The problem really is that Hysteria was such a tough act to follow. They released Adrenalize and everyone went “it’s exactly like Hysteria, that’s rubbish!” then released Slang and everyone said “it’s totally different from Hysteria, that’s rubbish!”

Personally, I said Slang was rubbish because I’m a charitable sort of person.

ji
    Free Member

Rocks Off is from the album on through the night. That and High N Dry are very different sounds to those from Pyromania onwards – all down to that Mutt not producing the first two. They are still good in their own right IMO – Rocks Off is a favourite of mine

I saw them live on the Hysteria tour, at Nottingham (Rock City?) in around 87. They were excellent, but I remember being really blown away by the support act – Tesla – who were way better than them live.

Saw Leppard a few other times after that as well – a good live band.

carlosg
    Free Member

Not listened to any newer stuff but loved the early music released by the band. They were a big part of my formative years and always a go to if you got lucky 😉 at the rock venue in Leeds.

My dad was door security at their first ever gig in Leeds at the Fforde Greene pub(now a supermarket) he said Joe Elliott was the only one old enough to buy a drink at the bar.

mikey74
    Free Member

I always thought Pyromania was better than Hysteria, and far less polished, which is a good thing. Still, they were/are a talented bunch of guys.

Cougar

Once described as “bludgeon riffola”

Wasn’t that the name of their record label? Is that where it came from?

Switch 625 full volume on an 80s Walkman – heaven!

I adore Switch 625 and it gets no love from anyone ever, so thanks for that.

bikebouy
    Free Member

It was, coined by one of the journos..

footflaps

On a vaguely related note, came across a new band (to me) last year, supporting Magnum. Vega – whose album “Who we are” reminds me a lot of Def Leppard – similar sound on some songs…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ofv3rTWb12s[/video]

Cougar

Vega

I rather like that in a guilty pleasure 80s AOR kind of way. The video is hilarious though. “We’ve got a few quid left over, what shall we spend it on?” – “How about a chick on a horse?”

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Agree with the comment about Tesla – saw them with DL at the NEC – one of only a few occasions I’ve seen where the support band eclipsed the main act

bikebouy
    Free Member

Tesla, awesome and I really don’t think Steve would mind us posting this..
    [video]https://youtu.be/avAvkdYa3qM[/video]

footflaps

“We’ve got a few quid left over, what shall we spend it on?” – “How about a chick on a horse?”

Yes, rather random video…

They are very good live, would recommend catching them….

jimster01

First ever gig I went to, Malvern Winter Gardens, Wytch Craft were the support – Thru the night tour – February 1980, they weren’t bad iirc.

whatgoesup

Turns out there’s a few good few songs from a Taylor Swift / Def Leppard collaboration on YouTube

MoreCashThanDash

Saw Def Leppard 2-3 years ago – still very slick and great sound. Motley Crue were on before them and I was sadly disappointed.

unsponsored
    Free Member

Seen them half a dozen times+. The first time being at Don Valley stadium in 93 ish with Gun, Ugly Kid Joe and Thunder in support. Then in Newcastle every tour since. The Darkness supported them on one tour before they made it big. A great show.

Hysteria is the album for me followed by Pyromania and Slang. The song Hysteria being my favourite song of all time.

whatgoesup

Def Lep now on Spotify !

andygreener

Cool! Thanks

footflaps

Def Lep now on Spotify !

been on for a while, but with a limited album selection, although seems to have just expanded to most of their back catalogue….

ji
    Free Member

30th Anniversary tour tickets for Hysteria (supported by Cheap Trick) on sale next week – https://www.planetrock.com/news/rock-news/def-leppard-announce-december-2018-hysteria-uk-tour/

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Saw them with Whitesnake a few years back in Sheff and they were brilliant. Cant wait to see them again. Hysteria is a mega album.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Any Def Lep fans in?’ is closed to new replies.