Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Any decorators in?
  • jambourgie
    Free Member

I’ve got some water damage to a woodchipped room at my Nan’s place. The leak was fixed ages ago and it’s all dry now. I need to somehow patch the damage with new paper and paint over. Any tips on how to do this? Also, will I need to add a stainblock before the paper?

Thanks 🙂

Marin
    Free Member

Cut away all loose paper. Use a blade to get straight lines to make patching in new paper easier. Any oil based paint as in gloss or undercoat will do to go over stains . If bare plaster visible use a watery mix of paper adhesive to seal plaster or it wil grab new paper it you’re slow applying it, getting fixed into position.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Thanks Marin.

So, undercoat on the wall, or on the new paper?

councilof10
    Free Member

I wouldn’t use a blade, spray it with lots of clean water, peel back to decent paper and then tear the bad stuff off. A feathered, teared edge will paste down far flatter than a cut edge.

If you’re going to paint it, do the same with your patch pieces – just tear to roughly the right shape, absolutely saturate with adhesive and pack it down with the edge of a clean brush.

Marin
    Free Member

Undercoat on the wall to stop stain potentially coming through. Straight edge cut as far neater and sticks perfectly well.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Thanks everyone!

choppersquad
    Free Member

I’d cut the rubbish paper away then put the patching paper overlapping over the top. Then with a sharp blade cut through old and new,chuck the edges you’ve cut off away, and voila…. a seamless patch.

teef
    Free Member

Do it properly – strip the paper off the ceiling and both walls and then re-paper. Anything else will be a bodge job and will always look like it. You may of course be happy with a bodge job.

jambourgie
    Free Member

teef – Member
    Do it properly – strip the paper off the ceiling and both walls and then re-paper.

Rubber_Buccaneer

teef – Member
    Do it properly

Whoa, hang on there just a moment. How good is your Nan’s eyesight and what sort of inheritance are you looking at? A bodge may be plenty good enough 🙂

chorlton
    Free Member

Strip the ceiling and walls?
    Wood chip?

It will need nuking from orbit, you know?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Any decorators in?’ is closed to new replies.