Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • any computer wizz people about
  • firestarter
    Free Member

ive got an old laptop that had vista on originally but recently ive been running linux mint . i wanted to install a version of windows so i could use certain things on windows and the rest on linux.

ive created a working version of windows vista in a virtual box on linux and thats all good but the vista wont update at all. ive looked around and i think its a vista problem rather than the way ive got it working as it seems people are struggling every where

anyone know of a solution or is it a matter of having to buy another operating system just to run it in virtual box

thanks for any help

ta

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

scrap the virtual machine and go for a dual boot instead?

cranberry
    Free Member

Are any updates still available for Vista – it is now old technology and MS might have removed support.

allan23
    Free Member

Why?

Vista was a dogs breakfast version of Windows and is now three versions behind. Last notification I saw was that only Vista SP2 will get updates.

Unless you have an absolute need to have Vista to run some life support software or something that makes you money then stick with Linux.

701arvn
    Free Member

Assuming that Windows update is the problem, try the trouble shooters here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

Cougar

Install this.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=51871

Failing that, google “windows update fixit”

Cougar

Last notification I saw was that only Vista SP2 will get updates.

Probably worth installing the latest service pack manually, and IE9 if you don’t have it.

Are any updates still available for Vista

I’m not 100% certain but I think so, yes.

jb72
    Free Member

I’d agree – start by manually downloading SP2 and install it.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Download WSUS windows update offline installer, Microsoft always make it difficult to update from a clean install of a dated OS. Windows 7 is just as bad now.

firestarter
    Free Member

Well seem to have ie9 and sp2 now but updating still an issue will try wsus vr6 thanks. I may end up buying a newer os if I can’t get it working but it seems a shame as I only want if for certain bits
    Thanks all

oldnpastit

What do you want to use under Windows?

If you’re lucky you might find that the programs you want will work under Wine or the commercial version, crossover.

Some things work surprisingly well, others can be a bit hit-and-miss.

sirromj

If you’re lucky you might find that the programs you want will work under Wine or the commercial version, crossover.

Some things work surprisingly well, others can be a bit hit-and-miss.
    Do a search in the App DB for the software you want to use. You can get problems where software will run with some versions of Wine but not others, in which case to make life easier, you can use PlayOnLinux to install the Wine version necessary to use it.

firestarter
    Free Member

I was after memory map for my mapping and garmin basecamp and connect I think it is. And the daughter wanted it for something but I forget at the min

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘any computer wizz people about’ is closed to new replies.