Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Any computer boffins on today? I need some help…
  • Jammy111
    Free Member

Hi,

I have a cheap wireless usb adapter that seems to work fine on the front ports of my computer but when plugged into one of the back ones (4x USB 2.0 and 2xUSB3.0) it wont connect to the network but will recognise that it is present.

Has anyone got any idea on how to solve this/what could be causing the issue as i dont really want the adapter sticking out the front in case it gets knocked.

Thanks,
    J

EDIT: I should probably also say that I am a bit of a novice when it comes to networking.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

Is the computer tucked away in a corner of the room? There’s probably no wireless signal back there

samuri
    Free Member

Try one of these.
    http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/3384423/Belkin-PRO-Series-USB-Extension-Cable-4-8M/Product.html?_%24ja=tsid:11518|cat:3384423|prd:3384423

See if it has issues when it’s plugged into the front but is physically round the back of the computer.

uplink
    Free Member

Have you tried anything else in the non-working ports?

rocketman
    Free Member

If your computer is anything like my D*ll you will need to plug the adaptor in round the front, make sure it’s working then uninstall it via Device Manager. Reboot, plug it in round the back and let Windows go through its ‘found new hardware’ routine. HTH

Jammy111
    Free Member

right then, yes the computer is tucked away but it recognises the network still, just wont connect. (i get a little yellow sun over the wireless bars in the icon tray (win7)- says network detected – not connected)

my keyboard/mouse work in the non working ports

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I’ve just decomissioned the old family desktop PC last night.
    Consequently I’ve got a 54G card and antenna (with about a 1m lead)going spare, which you could try if you’ve got a spare PCI slot.

If/when you get to the point where you’ve eliminated everything else, let me know if you’re interested.
    HTH

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Any computer boffins on today? I need some help…’ is closed to new replies.