• This topic has 9 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Alex.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Any compressor deals / recommendations?
  • geoffj

Junior 1 wants to go tubeless which is a great excuse for me to buy a compressor, but which one?
    Need it primarily for tyres (bikes and cars) and a cleaning line.

I seem to recall that Aldi sometimes have deals on, but anything in machine mart / ebay worth a punt?

snownrock

I was going to ask the same thing.

zilog6128

Unless you actually need a compressor for something else, I wouldn’t bother. Cheap ones are as noisy as ****; I actually have a silent one but don’t use it for tyres now I’ve got an Airshot which is just loads more convenient.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I posted a couple of days ago, Clas Ohlsen are having a clearance on their compressors, not on the website but I picked up the 197l/min 50l version for £69 in store this week (down from £150).

Otherwise, SGS Engineering seemed to be by far the best/cheapest on paper.

Yes compressors are noisy (no noisier than a lawnmower, but it’s an irritating constant tone noise), but for bike jobs you only need to run it for 2 minutes and the tanks full. And quieter than me swearing at an uncooperative tubeless setup. I did think of an airshot, but why have a dog and bark yourself when a compressor is the same price.

scotroutes

And I’ve never needed anything other than a track pump for tubeless

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

And I’ve never needed anything other than a track pump for tubeless

Depends on how much faff I’m prepared to put up with, I’ve one particular setup (DT x470 rims and WTB steel bead tyres) which requires a lot of tape and repeated attempts to get it seated. Did yesterday with the compressor and it just went up first time with no effort. I dread to think how many evenings I’ve wasted cursing some setups!

geoffj

Thanks all
    Small bump for the day crowd

Northwind

Try your local lidl, there was a decent looking one in mine recently for £80.

I’d agree, I wouldn’t buy one just for tubeless- I’d buy an airshot or build a fire extinguisher inflator. But I already have a compressor, and I only use it for tubeless now, and it’s great to have.

(I have some tools for it, can’t be arsed with it though, hoses and such are a pain unless you’re using it a lot)

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

what wheels tyres are you looking to setup tubeless, some wheels/tyres just work, for others a compressor is definately the way forward.
    after buying an airshot i moved onto an sgs compressor and havent looked back, paid £115 delivered next day incl. extras kit earlier this year.
    (it seems to have hit £192 though)

its also great for cleaning the dyson and lawnmower, amazing how much dust they contain.

Alex

SGS are great. The Aldi one is the same with a different badge on it. I have an airshot but I love my compressor. Makes tubeless a total non event, also use the air line for quite a few other things. My favourite of which is drying a bike using the air gun.

I fitted a smart head off a broken track pump to replace the schrader attachment it comes with. You can buy adaptors but it’s so much better with a proper connection.

Mine’s sat in the shed with two 15m hoses on it, one has the air gun, the other the inflater. So pretty convenient.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Any compressor deals / recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.