Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Any chefs about? Calimari/squid help…
  • Albanach
    Free Member

Cooked a Jamie recipe for concertina squid for the first time tonight but a lot of liquid was released from the squid when in the frying pan?? Because of this I probably cooked it for too long as it never went golden brown as per recipe. What would the reason be for the liquid? Also it curled up when it hit the frying pan?? Any tips for getting it right as other than that it was damn nice!

very similar to this recipe http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/seafood-recipes/chargrilled-whole-squid-with-chilli-and-mint

joepose
    Free Member

This is such a simple recipe.
    Just go to Corfu, catch the ferry to paxos and in the port on the left side theres an old lady with one table outside thats got it down to a tee.
    Aint the simple things the best x

tk46hal
    Free Member

buck53

Tricky one without seeing but I’d guess a combo of the squid not being as fresh as it could be and the pan not being hot enough.

Less than completely fresh will account for the liquid and the golden rule with cooking squid is either very hot and very quick or super low and long cooking time.

martinhutch

Was it defrosted squid? That would account for the extra water too.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

If its not going in frying flour i normally let it air dry a bit first.

Albanach
    Free Member

Bought fresh from fish monger today, didn’t pat dry or apply flour though, schoolboy. How about the curling up?

daftvader
    Free Member

best bet imho is to throw it in the bin and boil up an inner tube instead! 😀 (can’t stand the stuff but have had to cook it a lot in the past)
    on the other hand did you have the pan really **** hot. this is the best way to cook squid… hot and fast as buck said.
    to stop it curling just use a fish slice to hold it down

TuckerUK
    Free Member

best bet imho is to throw it in the bin and boil up an inner tube instead!

Ah, that’ll be overcooked squid then. People cook it way too long worried about making people sick.

theblackmount
    Free Member

>Bought fresh from fish monger today<

Or at least so you thought. Could have been days at sea / previously frozen.

Been there. Squid needs to be very fresh / cooked quickly. Or slowly allegedly tho why you would braise something as simple and relatively tasteless as squid for hours is beyond me.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

previously frozen

gets my vote. Certainly happens with supermarket fish, but at least in the small print on the packet it says (somewhat vaguely): do not freeze.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Any chefs about? Calimari/squid help…’ is closed to new replies.