Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Any Chainsaw Experts in the House?
  • namastebuzz
    Free Member

OK I looked at some chainsaw forums but it was all guys in checked shirts with big beards talking about 42″ Stihls so got scared and came on here….

My 2yr old Aldi chainsaw has behaved perfectly with light but regular use.

Recently it cuts fine when it’s just been started from cold but by the time you’re nearing the end of the first tank of fuel it begins to cut slower and starts burning the wood – smoke comes out from the cut and the cut face of the logs exhibit burn marks.

Next time it’s used it does the same, fine at the start then same problem.

Chain seems to be at the correct tension. Mix is OK. Plenty of chain lube in the reservoir though it’s not specific bar oil.

Advice?

Stoner
    Free Member

chain needs sharpening?

(and Im very much not an expert)

gusamc
    Free Member

probably cobblers but is the motor slowing – ie fuel starvation – blocked filters (fuel or air) – when you refuel it may be allowing air in ???

JAG

Sounds like the oil feed to the chain is blocked.

Mine gets blocked by sawdust – then exactly what you describe happens.

bedmaker

blunt chain, oiler blocked, chain oil a bit thick in this cold?
    Does it use most of the chain oil up over the course of using a tank of fuel up?

sturmey
    Free Member

Chain is more than likely blunt they can be sharpened or just get a new one they arent expensive and still have the old one sharpened as a spare. Does it use the chain lube if not it could indicate a blockage causing the chain to overheat and is now blunt. Have you been cutting close to the ground and possibly caught the teeth on a wall or in the ground this could cause the chain to blunt. Depending on type of wood you are cutting try not to have it on full throttle too fast through hard wood can cause blunting too.

alanl
    Free Member

Blunt chain. They are pretty cheap, so get a new one, and save the old one to be re-sharpened.
    Alan.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Blimey – a lot of chainsaw people in here!

It doesn’t seem to use as much chain oil as it did so a blockage sounds likely.

Thanks gentlemen. I’ll have a look in the morning. 🙂

mattsccm
    Free Member

Just worth checking the fuel cap breather if it has one and the chain side of things proves ok.
    Shagged chain to me tho

banginon

Just sharpen your chain!
    you don’t need a new one if it hasn’t been sharpened before, just make sure all the teeth are at the same angle and length and it’ll cut fine.
    swap the blade over as well ( you should flip it each time you sharpen the saw). All you need is the correct wee round file and a guide if your new to it.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Check chain oil. My Stihl uses a tank of oil per tank of fuel. If the chain doesnt get lubed it heats up and expands. Gets longer – slacker -very dangerous. Chain tension should be so tight you cant pull it away from the bar.

As above sharpen the chain. Clean air & fuel filter. Make sure the oil feed to the chain is clear of sawdust.

When the fuel tank on mine is nearly empty it runs lean and revs like hell.

sweepy
    Free Member

I might be wrong, no professional training, but I always cut on full power, whatever wood it it, I think its more likely to catch/kick on part revs

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I wouldn’t use anything other than chain oil to lube the chain.

69er
    Free Member

Sharpen your chain. You can tell if it’s ok by the nice chippings coming off when cutting. Check oil feed by blipping the throttle and pointing the bar nose at a clean surface. Oil droplets should just be visible.

scotsman
    Free Member

Seems like a combination of things, blunt chain, (buy good quality Oregon or similar) chain bar roller (sprocket type roller at the end of the bar) is not running as free as it should so when it heats up it is expanding and getting tighter heating everthing up, chain bar, chain. Before use slacken off chain and check roller is running nice and free if it seems sticky and not spinning freely WD40 does the trick. Chain bars are relativley cheap for my saw (Husqvarna) not sure about your model though.
    O and good quality chain oil Sthil or similar, not the shite you get from B&Q.

nosherduke996
    Free Member

As above,blunt chain.Just look at the cut,nice woodchips = sharp, and sawdust = blunt.

Jim_Kirk
    Free Member

Chain tension should be so tight you cant pull it away from the bar.

thats too tight and you’ll risk warping or damaging your bar.

Sounds like a blunt saw and maybe your pinching it a little when you’re cutting? Dont forget to look after your bar too – take it off and file any burrs off the top and sides.

you should have got some files, give it a sharpen and again, dont forget to file the dogs down. ( the little bits infront of the cutting edge ) if they’re too small/big they can affect the cutting.

if all the above is fine, maybe its as suggested and something is blocked somewheres?

smiffy

Use proper sawchain oil, it’s probably cheaper than engine or cycle oil. you can then also use the sawchain oil on your bike.

wash you filters out (air and fuel) You can test if they’re causing a problem by cleaning up the saw and running it in a clean, un-dusty place briefly with them removed, if power suddenly comes back you’ve found it. also check the plug; my Stihl has no trouble at all with plugs but others can. Learn to sharpen the chain and do so regularly.

smiffy

Chain tension should be so tight you cant pull it away from the bar.
    thats too tight and you’ll risk warping or damaging your bar.

I think he means so you can’t lift the tangs out of the bar groove.

dobo
    Free Member

i was once riding some single track in the woods at night and came across a chainsaw on the trail!! as much as i was curious i did not stop to investigate…

beanieripper
    Free Member

ALWAYS cut at full revs..it is much safer..

project
    Free Member

Using a blunt chainsaw risks jamming , or you push harder it stalls and shoots up in your face,

starts a new thread , chainsaw injuries.

beanieripper
    Free Member

Also, if you are going to sharpen it make sure you file down the rakers on the chain also, unsafe to use a saw with rakers at the wrong depth…

richmars
    namastebuzz
    Free Member

Thanks for all the info people.

Followed everything:

Sharpened chain, corrected tension, cleaned/lubed bar/roller, cleaned oil tube, put in proper bar oil.

Works a treat! 🙂

(suspect the motor oil was too viscous in the cold weather to lube the bar)

Once again amazed at the depth of knowledge accessible on a Mountain Bike Forum 😮

timber

Damn, too late, I could’ve waffled for ages here.

If you can get hold of a Lantra / NPTC CS30/31 coursebook that should tell you much of the above with a little more background and diagrams. The course would be ideal, but lets be realistic for domestic purposes.

timbur
    Free Member

Me to but I got here late as well :O)

Timber – are you my brother?

😀

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Never mind Timber/Timbur, next time I need to post a chainsaw related question I’ll give you advance warning then you guys can get in first!

😆

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Any Chainsaw Experts in the House?’ is closed to new replies.