Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Any cat psychologists on here?
  • globalti
    Free Member

Our kitten is being terrorised by a neighbour’s cat, which comes round at dusk and stares in the windows. It’s black with yellow eyes and looks quite scarey. At first I thought it was a boy cat who wanted to make our teenage girl cat its wife and drink all my beer but another neighbour thinks it’s a female. We have an older female cat too, she’s been in a few fights with this cat and even got bitten so badly that she got an infection in her leg.

I thought about collecting some of the kitten’s urine (easy from her litter tray) and using a lab pipette to sprinkle it around the perimiters of the garden or even sprinkling my own pee around the perimiter. I pee on the lawn most mornings so our cats must be used to my smell. Could this set up a territory, do you reckon?

ski
    Free Member

Water pistol might be easier, just open the window and spray the offending cat?

I don’t think spreading your kittens urine about will stop the offender, if anything it might attract more to come to visit.

globalti
    Free Member

I’ve already got el Gato Negro full in the whiskers with the super soaker, it runs away now when it sees me.

annebr
    Free Member

Chase the other cat away with a spray bottle of water

annebr
    Free Member

how about your cats urine in the spray bottle

Keva
    Free Member

yup, cats hate water. Mine has come home soaked down one side before. I knew immediately she’d been up to no good 😳

bex
    Free Member

The black cat is trying to take over your cats’ territory and the fact that your old cat has already been ‘seen off’ will put your kitten in an even more vulnerable position. As annebr said, get a spray bottle from a garden centre, keep it by the door, always full of water, and spray the intruding cat every time you see it. Couple this with shouting (sounds daft, but shouting ‘tsss’ cat hiss-stylee is very effective) and arm waving and the black cat will get the message that although your cats may have been beaten, you are now defending them and their territory.

philconsequence
    Free Member

if its a cat then its plotting to kill you, possibly play and taunt you first if its feeling a bit bored.

there is nothing more to cat psychology than that.

kudos100
    Free Member

My cat (18 years old and tiny) was constantly harrassed by next doors siamese. Water and terror seemed to do the trick.

Recently I caught the local alpha cat (twice the size of mine and ten years younger) fighting my cat. I chased it and gave it a huge kick up the arse.

It still comes into our garden, but now it realises it is a war zone, so doesn’t stay for long lol.

bigyinn
    Free Member

War for territory. (see if anyone gets the musical reference…)

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Been done before but never fails to amuse

globalti
    Free Member

Like I wrote, I’ve already soaked the gato negro full in the face with the super-soaker but that has just made it more wary when it sees me, it hasn’t stopped it coming in our territory.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Get a dog.

bex
    Free Member

The point is to keep doing the spraying, shouting (hissing) and gesticulating thing every single time you see the offending feline – the messgae will get through but unless it’s consistently reinforced the cat will think it’s winning and keep trying.

gozarch
    Free Member

bigyinn – Member
    War for territory. (see if anyone gets the musical reference…)

Are you suggesting installing Max as a deterrent?

rocketman
    Free Member

We have mini cat wars like this all the time. They sort it out amongst themselves there are no fatalities

As a dumb human it’s best to not get involved.

McHamish
    Free Member

You need to get yourself better cats.

Make your cats wear little weight vests on a tiny cat treadmill. Play Eye of the Tiger and teach it to box too.

PS pissing everywhere is probably just making the jock cat think your nerd cats are challenging it’s territory.

Keva
    Free Member

Like I wrote, I’ve already soaked the gato negro full in the face with the super-soaker but that has just made it more wary when it sees me, it hasn’t stopped it coming in our territory.

it will take a few times depending on how dense or persistent the cat is but eventually the message will get through.

wallop

I’ve never known a female to be territorial.

Gunz
    Free Member

Keep spray bottles of your own urine around the house. Or is that just me?

jamj1974

My cat is a psychologist but he doesn’t post on here. After lurking for a bit he said this place is puerile…

globalti
    Free Member

Female cats are just as territorial as male cats, it’s all about mousing and birding rights.

mogrim

We have mini cat wars like this all the time. They sort it out amongst themselves there are no fatalities

Generally, though they can get bitten which may require a trip to the vet’s, and the amusement of a cat with a plastic hood on all week. As happened to one of mine a month back.

Still, there’s not a great deal you can do about it. Even if you get rid of el Gato Negro from your garden as soon as your kitten decides to hunt beyond there she’ll be meeting up with him/her again… I basically let mine get on with it, I’m sure they understand the social niceties of cat life better than I do.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Corned beef and a 9 volt battery

sicklilpuppy
    Free Member

buy an air rifle 😈

jools182
    Free Member

not sure what the etiquette is with cats and their owners

seems from these posts that its fine to piss on them, soak them with water and kick them up the arse providing you have your own cat

might have to get myself a cat then

hels
    Free Member

You piss on the lawn every morning ?!? Are you sure it’s just the cat that needs to see a psychologist ??

ell_tell
    Free Member

You piss on the lawn every morning ?!? Are you sure it’s just the cat that needs to see a psychologist ??

Thank you! I was wondering if someone else was going to pick up on that 😕

globalti
    Free Member

Er, why on earth not? The nitrates are good for the lawn, it allows me to get an idea of what the weather is doing and it means I don’t have to flush the loo, which wastes water.

I suppose you’re going to tell me next that stopping mid-ride or mid-walk to nip one off behind a wall is unnatural too?

hels
    Free Member

Wild peeing is fine in, you know, like, the wild.

Not so cool in suburbia.

julianwilson
    Free Member

No idea about yours or cats wee, but better than a water pistol if you can do it is a sprinkler you can turn on from inside the house: if the cat sees you before it gets squirted by water pistol it will just associate getting squirted with seeing humans in that garden (and then just run away as soon as it sees you and wait for quiet to come back and bully your mog: better that the offending cat thinks it will get squirted regardless of if there is a human there or not. 😈

globalti
    Free Member

Who says I live in suburbia? I live at the foot of a big field, so big it goes right to the sky so I don’t have to worry too much about dudes overlooking me.

hels
    Free Member

But you live close enough to your neighbours that their cat hangs out in your garden ? It’s still eeugh.

ell_tell
    Free Member

I suppose you’re going to tell me next that stopping mid-ride or mid-walk to nip one off behind a wall is unnatural too?

Well it would be if you were sat in the beer garden of a country pub 🙂

JoeG
    Free Member

Cover the neighbor’s cat in sudocream! 😆

Squidlord
    Free Member

The nitrates are good for the
    lawn

Thanks for the tip, my lawn’s in a terrible state.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Best not to intervene in kitty turf wars…

MrNutt
    Free Member

should have bought a bengal.

NormalMan

MrNutt – Member
    should have bought a bengal.

While being grateful neighbours cat isn’t a Bengal as they often like water!

As I mentioned on the infamous sudacrem thread, ours flooded half the kitchen once when playing with the tap!

nick1962
    Free Member

Would you trust your pussy with this man?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Any cat psychologists on here?’ is closed to new replies.