Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Any budding astronomers in the house?
  • Stoner
    Free Member

Ive never grasped transepts, nadirs and orbits so perhaps someone in here can help me.

What would be the lowest angle of the sun to the ground during the year when it is at 135 and 180 degrees south, at a site in the Midlands?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Isn’t a transept the lesser axis of a church – ie, if the main body (the knave?) lies east-west, then the transept lies north-south, making up the “arms” of the cross? Did you mean transit, when an object crosses in front of another object, so a solar eclipse is the moon in transit across the sun.
    In vague terms, the nadir is the closest or lowest point a body gets relative to the obervor. High/far away=zenith, nadir is the opposite. It also refers to the part of a satellite facing earth
    No idea on sun angle, but Jessops used to sell a solar compass for around £20. If they don’t or are no longer around try other photo retailers

EDIT – you might want to double check this, but at least it’s a start

Stoner
    Free Member

quiote right, transit (not Ford) not transept.

As I say, a field Ive never put any thought into before.

Will see if I can find an online “Solar Compass” then now Ive got a search term I can work with.
    Ta.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member
    bikebouy
    Free Member

Does using Google Sky count?

Stoner
    Free Member

cheers for help guys, managed to find this
    http://pveducation.org/pvcdrom/properties-of-sunlight/sun-position-calculator

with settings of 21st dec (winter solstice)
    Latitude 52degs
    Longitude 0degs and 0 GMT offset, at 12 pm (i.e. 180degs) the sun is at 14.5degs
    at 9am (140degs) the sun is only 5degs in the sky.

So I think Im going to work on about 10degrees for the maximum allowance of shading caused by vegetation screening on my solar panels.

cheers

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Any budding astronomers in the house?’ is closed to new replies.