Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Any broadband engineers? Pref BT
  • RicB

Switched to BT broadband in March, no probs until last week when the connection begun to drop. Router constantly redialling and then dropping after about 30secs.

Stats show the downstream connection is 283Kbps (8 meg service, normally connecting at 6.7 meg). 40db line attenuation, 29-34db noise.

Upstream is fine – approx 1 meg upstream connection with 13db attenuation, 6db noise.

The only thing I did differently of late was borrow the neighbour's old corded phone as our cordless batteries wouldnt last the 2hrs on hold to Expedia. Still used it with a microfilter and it's now unplugged.

Router has been plugged into test socket for 5 days with no change in connection. Have tried 4 filters, spare router, cables etc. Even tried unplugging all electrical things within 5m of phone socket.

Bt engineer supposed to come thursday afternoon but didn't turn up. Can't send another until Tuesday

Next door neighbour but one is with BT broadband too, his phone line goes to same telegraph pole and his connection is fine.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

anjs
    Free Member

My parents have seen this problem as well last week. Their IP profile is now set at 250K. Upload speeds are now quicker that downloads. Engineer is now booked to come out on Monday.

spooky_b329

Although your lines go to the same pole, they still use separate copper pairs to the exchange so it is irrelevant that their service is fine.

If you are using the test socket behind the main faceplate (don't bother with the filter, you only need that to make phone calls) and there are no extensions hardwired into the line before the test socket (shouldn't be) then you are pretty safe that its a problem outside and not chargeable. You have already swapped your router so you know its not that.

RicB

How can I check my ip profile?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Any broadband engineers? Pref BT’ is closed to new replies.