Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Any brickies/builders in the house? re pointing advice needed
  • swampi
    Free Member

Just about to start getting quotes to have my whole house re pointed(been done previously in horrible strapping type repointing in the past), its 1880’s yorkshire stone built, now should the builders use lime based mortar to allow the walls to breathe, the conses from the web seems to say if it was built using lime mortar then yes, but how would i know??
    chhers for any advice

honeybadgerx

If the exterior is sandstone then yes, they should use lime mortar, reason being (as I’m sure you’ve read if you’ve done a bit of googling)is that in order to prevent damage to the stone from the growth of minerals in any water inside them, the lime mortar acts as a more permeable medium, so water is drawn to that, rather than the face of the stone. Part of our house consists of an old sandstone church hall, and the previous owners repointed part of it using normal sand/cement, which has caused the front of the masonry to blow, elsewhere, where lime mortar has been used it’s sound. Lime mortar tends to have a mroe graded (bigger bits) of sand than modern stuff, pluss is generally lighter in colour.

Also, I’ve been using ‘Stormdry Masonry Protection Cream’ to coat the exterior of the hall to weatherproof it and attempt to stop ongoing damage to the badly repaired bits (googe it for more info/suppliers). It’s worked very well so far, and has been used on plenty of other historic buildings to no ill effect (I did a load of research before hand), whilst cheaper generic stuff (i.e. Thompsons Water Seal) can do bad things to masonry. Downside is it’s expensive, but it’s meant to last a long time so figure it’s worth it.

swampi
    Free Member

yeah just as i thought, cheers

cvilla

The hard part is getting the old out without damaging the stone too much. Also make sure the lime is the correct stuff (no cement!) and the folk know how to apply it properly, check what other lime experience they have. I am not a tradesman;) but live/work in a locality known for stone.

aP
    Free Member

Don’t whatever you do use an angle grinder.

creamegg
    Free Member

Yes lime mortar without doubt. These guys are pretty helpful…
    http://www.lime.org.uk

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Any brickies/builders in the house? re pointing advice needed’ is closed to new replies.