Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Any bikers on here had "Snowboarders Ankle" Talus fracture?
  • ddmonkey

Hi – bust my ankle this weekend snowboarding, any else done this Talus fracture and got back to biking? I’d be interested in your experiences.

Cheers….

You’ll do well to find any bikers on here…..

ddmonkey

Hence the specific question.. 🙂

ddmonkey

So that’s no-one then?

voodoo_chile

I have snapped mine in two mate, quite a dangerous fracture as it damages the joint and its blood supply

ddmonkey

Yes so I hear – so have you just done it then? I’m one week in, have been told I don’t need surgery as its a clean break and not displaced. So fingers crossed if it knits OK I should be fine, but interested to hear anyone’s experiences. Put me right off snowboarding!

voodoo_chile

I snapped the talus and dislocated it, also cracked my calcaneum (heelbone) , just do the physio and more on your own, try to minimize scar tissue as much as you can

soops
    Free Member

I crushed my heel and broke my talus into 4 pieces. 6 pins and a plate in there now. Lost about 50% of total ankle movement.9 years on it still fu@king hurts everyday. I still bike but not as often as i would like due to life!
    I ride a 5spot now but keep trying hardtails but the lack of rear suspension goes right through the ankle joint.
    Here is a pic or 2

Just do the physio and keep smiling! 8)

njee20
    Free Member

😯

That’s all.

soops
    Free Member

I don’t take any pain relief as it does not touch the everyday pain, and i have an addictive personality! I threw a wobbler when they took the strong tramadols away!! It is like walking around with a twisted ankle all the time.
    9 years on i have nearly started to get used to it.
    8)

woolhead
    Free Member

Hi DDMONKEY

Yep, almost a year to the day I did my left one whilst dislocating it and also did a bunch of damage to various ligaments and my achilles tendon.

I rode the indoor trainer day the hard cast came off and a little more every day from there on. Riding offroad was a pain for a good few months although 5 months after I did it I started a 10 week tour of bikeparks throughout Europe and whilst occasionally very sore I got through fine.

I was able to start running again after 8 months and have since ice climbed and snowboarded throughout the winter with no problems,

As others have said, crack on with the physio and remember you know your own body better than anyone, listen to how it feels and go with it.

Good luck and don’t give up on the snowboarding yet

Dan

voodoo_chile

Soops, looks similar to mine done 15 years ago, still has the inward tilt similar to yours …hurts all the time, i refuse pain killers find massage works the best …..the pain sometimes is incredible dont know how i lived without it ….still ride both hardtail and full sus

blurltrider
    Free Member

Got a friend who had that fracture, they did it biking. After loads of physio, time and worrying if the break would repair properly, they are now snowboarding more and better than ever. Lost a lot of confidence biking though!

soops
    Free Member

voodoo – glad to hear that somebody else suffers the same as me 😉

I went to see an osteopath for my back and she said that with some very painful work on it she could reduce the pain in about 5 sessions and then i would just need top up treatment every few months.

My problem is i am a plumber so always kneeling down and putting extra pressure on a broken part!

looking forward to ankle replacements becoming as common as knee and hip ones

voodoo_chile

Soops ,success rate of ankle replacement is very low, i pulled one of my vertabrae out few years ago and asked the chiropractor if the ankle could be helped at all he said not worth it wouldnt help as the internal fixations are holding it all together so his skills were no use…
    Still mountain walk but only do 1 day walks if over 2 days i am buggered,,try dog oil on it soops

neilnevill
    Free Member

didn’t break mine but had bone bruising to the core on talus and calcaeneum (registrar was stunned I hadn’t shattered the pair when he saw the MRI taken 7 months after the accident) after a fall when rock climbing, and seriously screwed the ligaments.
    3 months to walk without a limp. 2 months in I started physio which helped greatly. I have nearly all the movement back, accept in one direction, now 15 months later. took 6 months before I could ride off road on the bouncer, and another 3 before I could ride the hardtail. about 12 before the background pain dissapeared/got low enough I forgot it much of the time. The recent cold weather has mad it hurt considerably though 🙁

Spent a fortune on physio, but it was worth it to get active again. Chin up, you will get going again. I feel for you though.

catvet
    Free Member

Slab fractures of talus can be catastrophic as difficult to see on xray, and therefore can be missed, ct scan needed often to deliniate the fracture.
    Usual history is landing jump to flat on a snowboard, the injury was rare before the advent of boarding.
    `i have a talus injury from 20 years ago ( not slab fracture) and albeit I ride a Hardtail for winter night time riding, jumping the bike give the ankle some grief, fortunately not so on a 140 trail full sus bike.
    I learnt to snowboard after i damaged the talus and have no problems but not a jump jockey more off piste free ride.

soops
    Free Member

voodoo – i still have scar tissue attached to the bone which if worked on would reduce the pain apparently. I too have the go for a hill walk can’t walk the day after syndrome. Just out of interest who did your surgery? Only asking as it took 2 weeks for them to find somebody who would attempt mine. Also a surgeon in Stafford said i should remove the pins and plate, been advised not to take this route. 8)

ddmonkey

Wow thanks all, looks like my injury is pretty simple in comparison! Fortunately I’ve pretty much given up riding hardtails anyway. So hopefully I’ll be in the pool, hiking and then back on the bike commuting to build up for heading offroad again this summer. Cheers for the input its really encouraging.

soops
    Free Member

ddmonkey – Just keep smiling mate and welcome to the broken talus club. 8)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Any bikers on here had "Snowboarders Ankle" Talus fracture?’ is closed to new replies.