Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Any bargains around on Stans wheel builds?
  • ichabod
    Free Member

I’m in the market for a set of Arch or Flow Mk3. Are there any good deals I’m missing? Or for any similar wheel set deals with 25mm+ ID rims? Thanks!

jakd95
    Free Member

At the cheap end of the scale (and thus a bit weighty) but these WTB i25 (25mm internal) on Planet X hubs are £100 (27.5 or 29er in a couple of different axles)

[/url]

Struggling with the hotlink on my phone but give it a Google.

Or they’re selling the rims for £10 each in 27.5/29

ichabod
    Free Member

Bargain! Looking for something lighter as my main set but very tempted as a spare!

snotrag

Or for any similar wheel set deals with 25mm+ ID rims?

I’ve just been through the same, wanted some nice 27.5″ ‘trail’ type wheels. Looked at custom Hope/Stans or the Hope Tech Enduro.

In the end took a bit of a gamble and I bought a set of Mavic XA Trail ELite for about £390 (so about the same as the above options).

They did however come with tonnes of axle adapters, sealant, valves, taped up, and a pretty nice set of 2.4″ tyres which I think makes them pretty competitively priced.
    The rims are 25mm, so not super wide but about the same as the Hope Enduro’s.

I’m really pleased – the wheels are lovely, well built, seem strong (I’ve already crashed on them!), and are noticeably lighter than the Hope Enduros. Well recommended.

letmetalktomark

Over the weekend I noticed some Stans wheel sets in 29/650b set up Arch & Flow rims IIRC on eBay with the same seller for £299 ….. seemed good value to me.

Let me see if I can find the link.

Edit …. Seems only “boosted” versions:

Clickity click

ogden
    Free Member

Stans do a cheaper s1 version for about £350 now.

kayla1
    Free Member

I got some Stans Flow mk3s on Switch hubs from Superstar when they had the 30% thinger on a few weeks ago, I think they ended up costing £250 or so.

In other, unrelated news, I have some 650Bb DT Swiss E512 (25mm) on Novatec hubs (15/142) with decent tyres on spare…

heebyjeeby

Check out Just Riding Along as well.
    Got a set from them about a month ago – lovely wheel build and custom decals.
    Standing up fine so far.
    Think they cost about £380

teethgrinder

I picked up a set of 27.5 Flow Mk3 on orange Pro4 for £250 second hand, including HR2/Shorty 3C. I think I did OK on that deal.

Would have bought the same new but none of the usual suspects seemed to have that combo in stock and on finance. Nearly had to get Hope Enduro. Did think about rebuilding onto my old Pro”‘s but >£60 each for the rims, and >£30 a wheel for spokes was a bit much.

Northwind

Those polish dudes, bikestacja, often have excellent deals on stans.

1timmy1
    Free Member

Check out Just Riding Along as well.
    Got a set from them about a month ago – lovely wheel build and custom decals.
    Standing up fine so far.
    Think they cost about £380

This, loads of axle options too.

Alex

Might not be that helpful, but I’ve just had a set built up by a mate and I’m very impressed with the Arch Mk3. Winstanley’s normally do 10% off Stan’s stuff.

ichabod
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice. Forgot to add I need XD driver. Just Riding Along looks a good bet. Not sure how their hubs compare to hope but they are lighter at least. The Polish place looks hopeful too – thanks!

honourablegeorge

Merlin were advertising Stan’s own brand wheelsets cheap yesterday

daern
    Free Member

Built some wheels on El Guapo hubs and Superstar carbon rims at the start of the summer and have been really impressed, so can recommend the hubs. I’ve used WTB i25 KOMs elsewhere for a while now and like them, but they’re a little more expensive than their stock rims.

heebyjeeby

JRA hubs admittedly bit of an unknown quantity but they swear by them and don’t think they would use them if they doubted the quality.
    As I said no probs so far with me albeit early days….

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

As noted above stans S1 in arch or flow can be had from £315.
    Or if they have them in stock £280 with a BC discount from CRC (plus another £5 if you use a cash back site thing)

ichabod
    Free Member

Those Arch S1 are out of stock at Merlin unfortunately. Also 1,882g is seriously heavy considering how light the rims are.. the hubs and spokes must weight 1kg! (is that possible?)

Edit: Ah I see, they are not the normal Arch Mk3 – the S1 version weighs 50g more per rim. I’m out!

steve_b77
    Free Member

1800 odd g’s isn’t that heavy for a set if 29er trail wheels. Crests on pro 4 come in around 200 – 250g lighter

ichabod
    Free Member

I was looking at the 27.5. I think a set of Arch Mk3 on Hope comes in closer to 1700g? Dt Swiss XM1501 with 25mm ID come in below 1600g.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Any bargains around on Stans wheel builds?’ is closed to new replies.