Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Any Audaxers/tourers in the house?
  • Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

I’ve done a few 100’s and 200’s but have just entered a 600 later in the year. I’m thinking that as I’m doing more of these, and intend to do some light touring in the future, it might be a good excuse for a new bike.

I’ve got a few ideas for what I want but would like to see what you are using if you have any pics to post?

BB

chris_n
    Free Member

Neither of them are much cop for touring, but most of my audaxing has been done on this:

or this:

I’ll be riding this for 2011:

I’ve ridden up to a 300 on my Roadrat too. Only done a 100 on the Airborne so far but it’ll be on some longer rides this year.

Which 600 have you entered?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What he said, I find my race bike much better for covering big miles with a credit card, spare tube and multitool in the back pocket.

The tourer is great, but unarguably slower (thus more effort). It will carry 150+ litres of kit though!

jimc101
    Free Member

I have only done up to 200km rides so far, so can’t comment of the 300+ yet. Am currently using a Planet X Ti Sportive, which is very comfortable, also have a Salsa Vaya which is almost finished which I am planning for longer distance. what ever you get makesure it has mudguard mounts on the frame and forks, and if doing 200km + a dynamo powered light is really useful.

On the ride I did a few weeks ago, most were on steel framed bikes, followed by Alu, Carbon & Ti, SON dynamo hub’s far outnumbered Shimano, also mixed in were few single speeds & a folder, so anything goes really.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

might be a good excuse for a new bike

i quite fancy one of these as my next excuse…

http://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=44

Dyffers
    Free Member

Retrodirect
    Free Member

you’re audaxing with an aero back wheel? How are you finding it? or am I mistaken?

clubber
    Free Member
    hora
    Free Member

Do all your Wives’ say ‘oi clear off and don’t comeback for a while’?

😆

chris_n
    Free Member

you’re audaxing with an aero back wheel? How are you finding it? or am I mistaken?

Having no spokes it’s the only way Dyffers can trust a wheel to last. Makes little aero difference the speed he normally rides at. 😛

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

This is my unashamedly old-man-mobile:

I’ve also done several 200k audaxes on my std roadbike:

… but proper mudguards that don’t constantly shift about, wider tyres and a triple are a real boon.

oldgit
    Free Member

Im about to trade in my racing licence and join the Audactious Riders.
    I was going to buy new, but it’s not about that so I’m hunting for a late steel road frame with 130 rear spacing so I can run some 9 speed stuff.
    My current racing bike will cope with the 100 & 200KM events, but it’s full carbon and specced for Crit racing.
    My other option is a ten ton 1958 Raleigh 531 frame I have, not sure about a fixed/free 27×1 1/4″ wheeled 62 year old bike, funky though.

SimonT
    Free Member

All my audaxing has been done on 531 framed training/touring frames. If you want to use it for touring carrying light loads, they work for that too.
    The further you go, the more important comfort becomes. Not done over 300km for a few years now, but over that and I reckon 23mm tyres are too harsh, so clearance for 25s and mudguards would be good for a 600.

I’ve seen people do long audax rides on all sorts of ‘unsuitable’ bikes, from Bromptons, funny lying down things, to mtbs and BMX. Don’t get too hung up on the bike.

Which 600?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

My other option is a ten ton 1958 Raleigh 531 frame I have, not sure about a fixed/free 27×1 1/4″ wheeled 62 year old bike, funky though.

Au contraire, you’ll fit right in.

You should grow a beard ASAP mind.

StirlingCrispin

Oh go on then.

Airborne Valkyrie with custom Dave Yates steel forks.
    Very comfy but now sold. Never did more than 200k on it though as family commitments came along (I met my wife a week after buying it!).

Cannondale T700 with custom Dave Yates steel forks. Purchased in 1996 the Ti-B17 saddle was the master touch that made this bike comfy.
    Rode a lot of Audaxy / weekend trips on this bike armed with just a saddlebag and have also toured extensively on it using panniers (Norway, Nova Scotia etc). Photo is taken at the entry to Glen Artney – some of you may call this a MTB route! This was the bike I kept – just swap the tyres and it can do anything.

dmc
    Free Member

If I must

2011 genisis equilibrium planning on doing a few audax rides this year

Blackhound

There was a nearly new Genesis Equlibrium for sale on Road.CC a few days ago.

I have used a Roadrat up to 300, entered a 200k next month. A bit heavy perhaps and might get something else in time. All the fittings though.

ton

i did my 1st ever audax in 1990 (lincolnshire wolds 200km) onboard a very heavy and old dawes galaxy tourer……it was ace
    done dozens of audaxes since then up to 300km, on bike such as a fixed tt machine, a spesh cx bike, and spesh flat barred road bike, a cannondale tourer, and this year on a flat barred surly lht.

comfort is far more important than speed on a long audax.

Smarty
    Free Member

I wish I could show my audax/tourer bike but the new Kaffenback doesn’t arrive until tomorrow 😀 😀 :mrgreen:

slugwash
    Free Member

Haven’t yet entered any audaxes this year but might do…

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the replies.

The event I have entered is the Seething 600, in June.

Quite looking forward to it!

BB

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Any Audaxers/tourers in the house?’ is closed to new replies.