• This topic has 85 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Taff.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)
  • any architects on here?
  • willy
    Free Member

im studying architecture, was just wondering if any of you biker lot were architects?

matt_outandabout

Lots…..

cynic-al
    Free Member

they all ride fixies

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    The-Beard

Where are you studying?

I’d keep studying for a while. There’s not much going on out there right now, it’s brutal.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

aP off here is. In fact, he built the entire London Underground*.

*This is possibly a slight exaggeration. He is a real architect, however, and has worked on some projects on the Underground, I understand. He certainly seems to know his stuff, I have to say.

Now, where is he?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Come the revolution they will all be exiled – along with lawyers and telephone sanitisers

aP
    Free Member

waves!
    I’m an architect 😐 I ride bikes 🙂 sometimes I also do work 😯
    I know quite a few architects that cycle, about half my office does for a start.

willy – where are you studying?

RB – I think you may have exaggerated somewhat!

TJ – I’ve just realised I was going to send you a name re: your renovation works, do you still need that?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

aP – ta please. I am going to have to report the architect for making unauthorised alterations to a listed building.

Its all very complex with 15 joint owners but if the other owners agree we will refuse to pay part of the bill as there have been many alterations done against historic Scotland advice and that he had no authority to authorise.

You must be that unheard of thing – a helpful and competent architect 🙂

Baldysquirt

TJ, I’m sure there are more of us than you think.

Hi, My name’s Paul and I’m an Architect. There, I’ve said it.

matt_outandabout

Hi, My name’s Paul and I’m an Architect. There, I’ve said it.

Recovering or in remission? 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Sorry guys – I am rather embittered in that 3 times I have had to use architects and each time they were frankly incompetent. I am sure there must be good ones out there just a shame I ain’t met any

RudeBoy
    Free Member

You need to employ some London Architects, TJ. Much better than yer Scottish ones.

Rubbish:

Not rubbish:

Richie_B

I’m an architect (and since last week I have a job that extends beyond the end of the month) 😀

Its a controllable habit as long as you make sure it doesn’t creep into your weekends

Don’t get the bit about fixies (although there is always room for another bike in the shed) most of the architects I know who ride are definitely into the techno multiple linkage gismo side of bikes (and Ti when it can be had on the cheap). Two other MTB and Darkside riding members of the practice (There are only four of us).

theginjaninja
    Free Member

Yep, another one here. Hopefully a good and helpful one.

Not a great profession to be in.

There’s lots of good architects and lots of bad ones. Like anything really.

mustard
    Free Member

RB he was Spanish!

J0N
    Free Member

I’m 1 quarter Architect:
    Part 1 Educated. Hated Uni.
    Did a couple of years as assistant.
    Currently a CAD/technician/Designer/IT help/general assistance for a small Interior design company.

I ride a single speed (roadrat), a currently disassembled hardtail and a multi-link FS mtb.

aP
    Free Member

I think that MTT is one of the brothers as well.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Rudeboy – have you seen the scotrs parliament building in the flesh? I rather like it although it does have some issues. At least it is not bland pastiche of modern brutalist

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Architects are awful.

They play at masterplanning and layouts and then leave all the problems and actual “making it work” to people who actually know what they’re doing i.e. proper engineers.

IMO

😉

Aye up Andy :waves:

theginjaninja
    Free Member

Yeah, engineers are brilliant. M+E engineers less so.

The-Beard

I am an architect. I ride lots of different bikes.

Engineers are bloody awful, bunch of lazy buggers who can’t draw.

IMO
    😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have had dealings with two structural engineers both of whom were numpties a well – one said a wall was load bearing when it clearly wasn’t ( we proved it to him by stripping the ceiling so he could see there was nothing above it or resting on it) and one said the dangerous stone rot and movement in a part of my building that is now subject to a serious reconstruction was “just frost cracking”

postierich
    Free Member

I ride with 5 architects/designers **** me they are slow on the trails and they mostly ride poncy carbon.

aP
    Free Member

I might be slow, but I’ll be damned if I’m riding plastic.

I don’t mind engineers (well, when I say this I mean some of them), but what really gets me are project planners – all that Primavera stuff (the pay’s good though which is nice for them)

theginjaninja
    Free Member

Riding carbon?

Eugh.. aggressive XC freeride lite is what you need after a week at work.

fenboy

I’m an architect too, no carbon either!

willy i’d give up the training as there’s chuff all work and when you do finally finish and qualify you’ll end up dealing with folk like TJ most of the time and getting paid chuff all for it!

anjs
    Free Member

I am an Enterprise Architect but I don’t think that counts…

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Ooh so what do you architects think about the scottish parliment building then? I thought it was a brilliant building with great finishing/ interior but i am lead to believe there was a slight problem with the budget as someone started to build it before they had finished designing it. 😀

theginjaninja
    Free Member

and due to “Starchitects” 🙂

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

they all ride fixies

and drive Saabs 😳

aP
    Free Member

Most of the ones I work with drive VWs or variants thereof, except for me.

I’ve not yet seen the Scottish Parliament in the flesh as it were.

i am lead to believe there was a slight problem with the budget as someone started to build it before they had finished designing it.

LOL. My version was “clients who can’t stop changing their minds”

matt_outandabout

they all ride fixies

and drive Saabs [:oops:]

And wear black polo necks?

aP
    Free Member

I try and wear my “One **** speed” t-shirt at least once a week, although I have to be careful about wearing it to client meetings.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

aP wears Rapha. Proof that architects are rich, and evil.

I can barely afford LiDL. 🙁

grizzlygus
    Free Member

You must be that unheard of thing – a helpful and competent architect………..I have had dealings with two structural engineers both of whom were numpties a well

You sound like a complete nightmare mate. I’m amazed that you actually manage to find anyone who is prepared to deal with you 😯

Although I’m equally amazed that you should ‘seek professional advice’ ……… you clearly know it all.

aP
    Free Member

Quality counts old boy, quality counts.
    Got a meeting in town tomorrow – cheeky half?

GG- remember TJ is from the People’s Republic.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

grizzly- don’t be nasty.

aP; I’m going to be going to the Nat Hist with me mum, hopefully. Could meet, I spose. Depends on what part of London you’ll be in.

grizzlygus
    Free Member

How am I being nasty RudeBoy ? Of course TJ is being very ‘polite’ about architects & structural engineers 😯

If I had a client like that I’d tell him to go and **** himself.

…..which is probably one of the reasons why I’m not a ‘business person’ 🙄

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Eh? What’s he done wrong? From what he’s told us, seems he’s got every right to be pissed off!

And he has admitted being bitter.

You’re just mean and nasty. Why can’t you be more like me, and be nice to everyone?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Guys – I did try to make it clear I was being tongue in cheek.

I will tell you why I have distrust.
    Architect 1) Insisted on their chosen finish for the outside of an extension and threatened to resign if they did’t get their way. This meant the outside finish of the extension did not match the rest of the house. Finished plans had the only lights at one end of the extension above a 1 1/2 story stairwell so difficult to change and no lighting at the other end. Inisted on a staircase arrangement that wasted space.

Architect 2
    Despite being given drawings by me of what I wanted had to redo the plans 3 times because he kept altering components of the kitchen. All he had to do was put the stuff where I wanted it but he didn’t. got the spec for the internal cladding of the walls wrong – I built to his spec and and then found out from building control that it was not correct.

Archtect 3) – appointed by the council to oversee renovations on the listed building where I now live. Wanted to remove original lantern lights ( skylights) from the roof that were a nice feature and replace them with single pane UPVC units. When I asked him about listed building consent he said ” not needed as it can’t be seen from the street” I contacted historic Scotland and the planning dept and they forced him to put replicas of the original on. They are still not right and will, along with around 10 other issues, be reported as breech of planning/ listed building consent.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘any architects on here?’ is closed to new replies.