Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 269 total)
  • Any Archers in the House?
  • big_n_daft
    Free Member

Those Cottonmouths look really nice, isn’t that the reflex/deflex hybrid?

Yes they are, that puts them in HT or barebow for NFAS. The Viper is the AFB

Merlin were selling them off at 40% off

I’m just north of Preston, near Longridge

I work out of an office near there occasionally

, when your groups are normally the size of a £2 coin, a

That’s about two arrows if you are using 23/64 woods

Cougar

23/64 woods

Wait, what madness is this? I’ve only ever come across folk shooting 5/16 or 11/32, I’ve never even heard of 23/64.

councilof10
    Free Member

You can pack a lot of ACEs into a small space! A lot of the compound archers used Fat Boys, or line-cutters as they were known as they increased the chance of cutting a line and earning a higher score…

I always thought there was something ‘not quite cricket’ about that kind of thing!

Anyway, ordered all the bits for my arrows yesterday – Easton Legacys, some white wraps and 4″ shield feathers, red with a white cock fletch.

Looking forward to annoying my Other Half with the smell of fletching adhesive all weekend!

(they’ll look like this but with shields rather than parabolics and a white wrap for visibility when I miss!)

Stoner
    Free Member

Ive just placed an order for a CORRECT length string for my bow!

Turns out the guy I got the set from had put a standard 68″ string on (64 1/2″). But of course the Hoyt Formula limbs create a longer effective bow for 68″ nominal, so I really need a 65 1/4″ string.

We worked out why my bracing height was out/and or I had to have no twists in the string when comparing the string with a club mate who also shoots Hoyt F7.

This chap was very helpful sorting it out.
    http://www.evansperformancebowstrings.co.uk/shop/index.php

Looking forward to tuning from scratch with the new string, and taking the opportunity to wind the limbs in a bit for a little more oomf on the fingers.

My indoor arrows are Platinum 2016 XX75 – like shooting telegraph poles at the target, but the extra line cutting is worth at least 10 points 🙂

councilof10
    Free Member

I’ll bookmark that link thanks Stoner… I can see a custom Flemish twist winging its way to me before too long!

The Legacies I’ve ordered are 2117, so will be a bit thicker than the 1916s I’ve got, but not really linecutters… They’re just an XX75 with a wood-effect printed on them – they look lovely!

Cougar

some white wraps

Wraps?

councilof10
    Free Member

They’re just a thin vinyl “wrap” that goes around the fletched end of your arrow.

They make them far more visible when they’ve missed the target and snaked under the grass!

This sort of thing…

Stoner
    Free Member
    Cougar

They’re just a thin vinyl “wrap” that goes around the fletched end of your arrow.

Ah, gotcha. Not something I’ve come across with my woodies!

Loving the illuminated nocks!

redthunder
    Free Member

Spot the arrow from today 😉

[url=https://flic.kr/p/T1xfgX]Spot the Arrow, win a prize ;-)[/url] by SGMTB, on Flickr

redthunder
    Free Member

Who needs carbon…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/T9nay7]Great shot :-)[/url] by SGMTB, on Flickr

I do…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/RVuEXh]Another one bites the dust, or tree ;-)[/url] by SGMTB, on Flickr

redthunder
    Free Member

New installation 🙂

[url=https://flic.kr/p/SC6FmE]New target installed.[/url] by SGMTB, on Flickr

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Just been and reminded myself how hard the Border Archery course is, two smashed and two lost arrows. If you ever get the chance to go. Anyone can shoot it for £15 and it’s a 100 3Ds. Ask nicely and you get the tour and the sales pitch as well.

Make sure your arrows/bow is tuned and take an arrow take

There’s trees, more trees and then trees

redthunder
    Free Member

Our collection..

My Dads, Mine and Mrs RT’s.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/SC8mxd]P1410401[/url] by SGMTB, on Flickr

Cougar

Spot the Arrow, win a prize

Just a smidge North-East of dead centre?

Cougar

New installation

I hope that’s not taken from the shooting point, it’s a bit compound-hostile (unless it’s just for you and you don’t have anyone else shooting compound, ofc).

redthunder
    Free Member

I hope that’s not taken from the shooting point, it’s a bit compound-hostile (unless it’s just for you and you don’t have anyone else shooting compound, ofc).

No compounder’s 🙂 and taken from the shooting point.

All part of the fun 🙂

redthunder
    Free Member

Just a smidge North-East of dead centre?

about right 🙂

redthunder
    Free Member

The compound crowd would nail that shot…. much harder for the HT crowd.

One with 32lb and can still drop it in through the trees :-)..but then again he is truly instinctive and must think in some sort of matrix type way.

redthunder
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/T1GsU4]P1410579[/url] by SGMTB, on Flickr

councilof10
    Free Member

Well, good news and bad news from the first proper weekend’s shooting, the good news being that I can still actually shoot! 35lb seems just about spot-on for my gammy shoulder, and arrows seem to be heading in the general direction I’m sending them. The photo below is at one of my Heath Robinson temporary targets from around 75-80 yards – a slightly down-hill line from one side of the valley to the other.

The bad news is the bow… I heard a rather unpleasant splintering noise at full draw and the outer laminate on the upper limb has developed a series of cracks. So it’s going back from whence it came for a full refund! 🙁

So, any recommendations for a huntsman-style one-piece recurve to replace it? The Bearpaw Hopi is top of the shortlist at just short of 200 quid… Can’t really spend any more than that as we’re expecting our first mini-archer/cyclist in September (that’s the other good news!) 😀

flibrose
    Free Member

@councilof10. If you haven’t already then check out the Ragim range at merlinarchery.co.uk good looking bows around your price range. A longer bow would be better for you if you have a long draw length. I would recommend the timbercreek bows but they have non in stock around your price range and draw weight. The Ragim mountain lion looks a very nice bow at 62inch long. Like the 80 yard to flat target.

councilof10
    Free Member

check out the Ragim range at merlinarchery.co.uk

It was a Ragim Black Bear that has cracked – to be honest, I wouldn’t trust another Ragim bow! My draw length is 29.5, so well within the max draw length for the Black Bear, I’m just glad it happened within 30 days so I can get a full refund rather than a replacement.

I’ve just ordered the Bear Paw Hopi – there aren’t many reviews online but I spoke to the guy at Longbowshop this morning and he said they’re unbelievable value for £185.00.

They’re made to Bodnik’s specifications by a Chinese manufacturer, but by all accounts, the quality of materials and workmanship is on a par with Bodnik’s signature bows.

That target is actually on a fairly steep bank, so good visibility… I quite like just being able to chuck a target wherever I fancy! But I will make some proper bosses for in fixed positions…

I think it’s safe to say that those cedar arrows shoot a bit stiffer than the aluminiums!

flibrose
    Free Member

Well that will teach me to not check the bow you had before posting. I really liked the guys at the longbow shop. Very pleasant experience. Must be a horrible feeling when you hear your bow crack like that. I am still in the process of deciding which arrows to order. The wife has told me I can’t order any till I have somewhere to shoot. #underthethumb. Lol

councilof10
    Free Member

The Longbow Shop were very helpful, so much so that rather than having it couriered (when it’s ready – it’s a custom order so might take a few weeks) I’m going to drive over and pick their brains about setting it up etc.

Finished fletching the new Easton Legacies last night – just waiting for the pile inserts, Merlin thought they were fitted so didn’t send any but they’ve been very helpful sorting it out.

They look AMAZING! I’ve gone for flat red/white fletchings which look stunning… I’ll post a pic when they’re finished.

The bow still seems to shoot OK – just as well as the dealer I bought it from is closed until 10th April!! Not particularly impressed with his level of service, but I’ll reserve judgment until the matter is resolved.

redthunder
    Free Member

I suggest a Hoyt 23inch Excel riser and 36lb (making 38lb) ILF medium limbs. Anything after 40lb is just mental for shooting hessian 😉

It’s light and adjustable. The only draw back I’ve found is that the metal riser can be cold in winter 🙁 … but fabric tape sorted that out.

Job done.

councilof10
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestion Red Thunder but it’s my love of one-piece hunter-style recurves that brought me back to traditional archery – I have a Hoyt GM and some 36lb Winact limbs that I could shoot off the shelf, but I like lovely wooden 1-piece bows! 🙂

redthunder
    Free Member

What really want is one of these….. 🙂

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UieJD2PK-RU[/video]

councilof10
    Free Member

I’ve lusted after Border bows since I first saw one when I was around 7 or 8! In fact I can say with some certainty that it was that bow – a Black Douglas – that sparked my interest in hunter-style bows!

Maybe one day, but I don’t think Mrs Councilof10 would be too happy if I dropped a grand on a bow right now!

redthunder
    Free Member

Tick & Stick” Free Target — for Tick Awareness 2017

A3 PDF at the link.

http://brokenarrowuk.com/2017/03/27/tick-stick-free-target-broken-arrow-uk/

councilof10
    Free Member

Cheers Redthunder! I’ll print a few of those out… 😀

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Watch out for Black Douglas bows on eBay. They often go cheap.

The new Border mosstrooper seems to have potential. Hex 7.5 technology, handle similar to the harrier royale gives more heft. But with a slit push forward ala the covert hunter. Felt well balanced to me.

Stoner
    Free Member

Just left the sweet shop 🙂

Nice chaps at Wales Archery have shorteniled my xx75 to bring them into spine and I’ve bought myself a set of a/c/c in spine for my new bow. V excited…

Wallet a little light though…

Cougar

a/c/c?

Stoner
    Free Member
    Cougar

Aah! Ta.

councilof10
    Free Member

Nice, I can almost smell that heady mixture of cedar, fletching adhesive and possibly a hint of leather…

I have some ACCs, lovely arrows – I think they’re as good as most people need most of the time. ACEs were *slightly* tighter at 100m in crosswinds, but I used the ACCs 90% of the time.

Stoner
    Free Member

I’m looking forward to spending the evening setting up my nocking point and button and brining the group in. My floppy xx75 s were clipping the riser so my groups have been going for a Burton lately

redthunder
    Free Member

Cheers Redthunder! I’ll print a few of those out…

No worries 🙂

Love to see one Tick & Sticked on your range :-)…. Photo would be cool.

@Stoner
    Where are you based ? I was over at Wales Archery the other day as well.

Stoner
    Free Member

Not far from you RT.

Malvern way.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 269 total)

The topic ‘Any Archers in the House?’ is closed to new replies.