Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Any Android owners…
  • Toasty

….interested in a bit of beta testing a tower defence game?

Fairly unlikely place to post this I know, you chaps are probably less likely to run off and stick it on a torrent site though. That said it's DRM'd up anyway so I'd need your email address to add to the "free access" list thing on the market.

Preferably someone who's played Robo Defence so knows the genre, tutorials are one of the missing bits. Plays a bit more like Desktop Defender, balanced for less towers, with a few central big upgraded ones.

Made by my wife and myself in my spare time in the evenings, so don't expect Halo, it's coming along though 🙂

Screenshots here!

Developed on a G1 and Galaxy S, so should run on just about anything.

As I say, similar gameplay to Robo Defence aside from a few things:

– Zooming in/out of the map supported with pinch/dpad etc.
    – Online scoreboards.
    – Slightly clunky friends list, that'll confuse everyone currently.
    – Funky soundtrack.
    – 9 levels (3 themes, 3 levels each), with the potential of tons more, as they're easy to knock out weird designs for.
    – 50 waves per game, except for the silly unlimited INSANE mode.

Purely casual, give it a play and see what you like or don't like. I was aiming to finish the last few bits this weekend (or shortly after), like the shop, few more effects, tutorial etc.

Toasty

Oh and on a related, and even more unlikely note. If anyone on here happens to be a fantastic pixel artist, audio chappy, or even coder and wants to work on something in their spare time let me know!

I was pondering a few things next, Gauntlet/Alien Breed type thing, physics platformer (ala Little Big Planet) or failing that sacking off the low end phones and doing a little first person tech demo type engine, which would be just as easy as the other two in all honesty, but would have much less potential for flogging on the market!

starsh78
    Free Member

link to DL?

I have a Hero 🙂

Toasty

Sure, just uploading it now, if you chuck a mail to toasting@gmail.com I'll send you a link back 🙂

You'll need to let me know what mail address you're registered on the market with, I add you to a magical list and it'll let you play anything I make for free without failing the DRM check thing:

MrGreedy

Happy to give it a go on a Desire – markxknowles at gmail etc

Toasty

Sorry for the delay, wrote a huge email with instructions 🙂 Link should be there, let me know if you have any problems, you've been added to the magical list so the DRM shouldn't pop up.

ed80
    Free Member

I'll have a go if you want. Sent you a mail.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I love Robo Defence and have lots of time to kill in airports in the next few weeks so would be happy to test it out and offer feedback. Email in profile, ta.

Toasty

Cheers Ed, I've replied with a link. I'll be intruiged how it runs on your phone actually, it's an untested one at the moment but looks to be a similar spec to my G1, let me know if anything breaks!

Thanks!

Toasty

gravity-slave – Member

I love Robo Defence and have lots of time to kill in airports in the next few weeks so would be happy to test it out and offer feedback. Email in profile, ta.

Hi, is that the email address you registered on the market? As per the above screen grab it seems to want gmail addresses, but I can give it a shot with that one. You sound like exactly the sort of person I'm after though! 🙂

motivforz
    Free Member

I'll have a go and give some feedback.
    Sent you a mail.

Toasty

Big stack of emails sent out there 🙂 If anyone has any trouble let me know, especially if the nazi DRM is stopping them get into game. I could well have set up the Developer email list thing wrong.

Big thanks all!

Oh, my friend code thing is "2cfifxy5xctp", which is randomly an account called Freddy at the moment, on the offchance anyone figures out the convoluted friends system.

defaultslipper
    Free Member

just sent you an email if you need another tester? plenty of time on my hands at the moment for testing and feedback!

Toasty

Cheers, replied!

If anyone could just confirm they're getting as far as the level select screen, it means I'm setting up the DRM correctly. Thanks! 🙂

Any criticism welcome, be that "It's crap" or a design thing they'd have done differently.

Toasty

If people haven't got a connection, be that phone or wifi. It may potentially fail the DRM check. I'm currently tidying up the fact that it incorrectly tells you that you haven't got a licence, when that's not really the issue.

Ah, someone else seems to have had the same 🙁

If this DRM awkwardness continues I'll just pull it out and do a version without 🙂

Toasty

I think the DRM was scuppering everyone, so I've removed it completely and emailed everyone again. Apologies!

If anyone else wants it, it's much less hassle now, chuck me a mail and I send you a link and instructions on how to play! 🙂

soma_rich
    Free Member

Loved Robo defence though completed it on a flight to Hamburg so is yours harder?

Loved Desktop tower defence on teh PC to.

Will drop you an email.

Have an Xperia X10 Android 1.6 🙁

MrFart
    Free Member

Send you an email later. Running Galaxy S with Froyo JPH if it helps.

Toasty

Oh interesting, I was tempted to stick one of the Froyo builds on my Galaxy S 🙂 Another one I'd be intruiged to hear from. I know Robo Defence has some issues with Cyanogen Mod phones, so anyone running that stuff would be interesting to hear from.

Mine isn't really any harder Soma, due to the shop not being complete yet the difficulty grind doesn't really work yet, it's more about using the score bonuses cleverly to top the score boards at the moment. INSANE mode is just about possible, for silly big scores, ideally comboing waves, right near the exit for the biggest bonuses.

Its certainly less about leading the waves up and down the screen repeatedly, and more about making a few souped up turrets, then keeping all the enemies near them.

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

yes pls email in profile 🙂 currently sitting in a job (audit commission) and we are closing so little to do of any importance 🙂

Toasty

Chucked you a mail and link Spank.

Cheers!

glenh
    Free Member

I can test it on CM6 on a nexus if you like toasty.

maxray
    Free Member

Gauntlet!!

I so want that for my Android .. or ipad come to think of it

firestarter
    Free Member

mogrim

I'll have a go, I've got RoboDefense and Tower Raiders, so the gameplay shouldn't be a problem.

Nexus One with Froyo, fwiw. (YGM).

ourkidsam
    Free Member

Ah, Toasty, this is interesting. I want to start developing a/some Android apps – as soon as I've got a decent idea. I'm rubbish at drawing so it won't be a game like this… anyway, I don't even know where to start. What tools are you using? It's Java isn't it?

surfdad
    Free Member

I'm on a wildfire – happy to give it a blast!

Toasty

Chucked a mail to both glenh and mogrim!

Yeah Max, I'd like to do a Gauntlet game. This Tower Def was just a test really, in my spare time, to see how it went, I've never made a mobile game before so it's a bit unpolished. Quite keen to do a multiplayer gauntlet thing though, log on with a couple of mates and grind though a few levels on the odd evening, would be good fun 🙂

Given the phone have speakers and microphones I don't see why it couldn't handle party chat instantly. Really good platform for it.

Toasty

Mail sent to surfdad and Neil!

Quite intruiged to hear about the Wildfire, as it's got an odd aspect ratio, everything may well be a bit skewed.

ourkidsam – Member

Ah, Toasty, this is interesting. I want to start developing a/some Android apps – as soon as I've got a decent idea. I'm rubbish at drawing so it won't be a game like this… anyway, I don't even know where to start. What tools are you using? It's Java isn't it?

Yeah, it's Java through a tool called Eclipse, which has been fantastic actually. There's a list of what you need to get started on the Android developer pages somewhere, mail me if you get stuck anywhere. There's sod all info around the net which makes it a bit of a trial and error experience. This game was was written completely in OpenGL, for the interesting graphical bits it lets me do, supposedly it should go faster on newer phones as well.

If you need a hand with anything let me know, I've hammered the Android menu system quite a bit with all the odd game menus.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

Brilliant, thank you. You may well be hearing from me soon!

Toasty

To anyone on Android 1.5 phones who couldn't get through the menus. I've sorted the issue and uploaded a new version to the same place. Huge cheers Ed for pointing it out 🙂

Android is driving me bonkers though, they release a new SDK, jam packed with features, none of which you can actually use without chopping your market to bits. Multitouch was a similar battle.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Any Android owners…’ is closed to new replies.