Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Any advice on where to base a fortnight in the Lake District?
  • eddiebaby
    Free Member

Planning to spend a couple of weeks centred on the Lakes. I’ll be training it upo and then cycling around and imporovising on where I’ll stay but I will need to book a few locations for arrivals mid section and then the end couple of days as others are planning to hook up.
    Looking for decent off road rides in awesome scenery as that is what it is all about. So any suggested locations? Or even suggested books/guides for the area?

Edit: and thanks in advance for any advice.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Thanks. Only been there once ten years back. Loved Ullswater but went to Windermere in high summer so that wasn’t too cool.
    Planning to go before the school summer hold.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Ooooh, good links!

Trekster

I’m from Scottish Borders so only a couple of hours away, been riding down that way for a “few” years. Past couple of years we have been basing ourselves in Skelwith Fold caravan park nr Ambleside which is another good base.

This http://www.golakes.co.uk/travel/New-Bike-Bus.aspx might help you get around ie based in the Windermere area you could get up to Keswick for the Borrowdale Bash or Skiddaw rides, Whinlatter if you fancy an easy day at a trail centre. 💡

http://www.theedgecycleworks.com/mtbroutes/skiddaw-circuit-and-summit/

Bike shops to visit for route info and possible lbs rides;
    KMB, Keswick Mountain Bikes
    Biketreks in Ambleside
    Wheelbase in Staveley

postierich, justinbieber and a few others on here have good knowledge of Lakes routes

tomaso
    Free Member

I’d get the train to West Lakes and explore. Then head for Keswick and Windermere.

grum
    Free Member

I’d probably do a week around Ambleside/Grizedale/Stavely somewhere then a week around Keswick/Buttermere/Borrowdale.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Thanks for all the input. Time to start planning. I’m looking at end of June and beginning of July so I have a bit of time…

ampthill

I often stay in Elterwater. I think its a great base for road or off road cycling. Its a good setting off point for Hard Knott and Wrynose for example

In the Northern Lakes I’d say some where near Grange would be good.

That’s assuming you want a village base. The Towns are just fine was well

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Any advice on where to base a fortnight in the Lake District?’ is closed to new replies.