Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Any advice about asking for a job?
  • lyons
    Free Member

I've been working for a lighting manufacturer alot recently as a sub contractor. To me, it would make sense for them to employ me, as they are very busy. I get on well with one of the directors, and other employees at the company have encouraged me to ask… anyway, I won't bore you but any tips?

grumm
    Free Member

I've kind of been in this position – did freelance work for a company for ages before asking if I could get a salaried contract (which I now have). I don't really have any tips other than just be honest and upfront about it.

lyons
    Free Member

Yeah not sure what I was expecting to be told really…

project
    Free Member

Scouse accent on"GIZ US A JOB MATE" scouse accent off, it worked in Boys from the Blackstuff.

Ask your self first why they employ you as a contractor and not on the payrole, because they dont pay your tax or NI, your sick pay or redudancy, and if you screw up, they just get rid of and you cant go to a tribunal.

Or they just dont want you,

Best of luck though.

Marin
    Free Member

Actually,
    "Giz a job, I can do that"

grahamh
    Free Member

You mean like this?
    Giz a job

DaveFell
    Free Member

I have done this and it took me two years of working my arse off. At the moment it's cheaper for them and much lower risk (pension, national insurance, sick pay, holiday etc…). Somehow you have to convince them that it's in their financial interest and not just about convenience (YOURS IN THIS CASE). You'll have to propose a business plan with costings for your in-house work once you're employed, though obviously this will depress you cos you'll realise exactly what Tax you will have to pay……you'll also have to make it look like it was their idea – bit like with women really.
    You haven't said how many days a year you work for them. If they suddenly had to find you 335 days' employment, that might be a problem.
    Dave

Jezkidd
    Free Member

I'd say just be yourself but…….

😉

best of luck

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Any advice about asking for a job?’ is closed to new replies.