Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Any 3rd cat or other amateur races abroad?
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

So, with all the previous threads on crit racing and road racing, has anyone done any 3rd or 4th cat races on the continent?

Was wondering if there were any in locations and calendar near the pro events. e.g. spring classics.

I’m not talking about Sportives but proper races….and how would one go about entering the odd event? I presume each country has its national cycling organisation like BC, but would they allow entries from BC members?

crazy-legs

A popular one for Brits is the Tour of Malta.
    http://www.tourtamalta.com

I went out there one year, mechanic-ing for a Women’s Team. To be honest I didn’t think much of Malta – it’s a very overpopulated little island and the driving standards are dreadful. That said, most of the racing took place on closed roads or at least with a rolling closure/race bubble.

Mostly nice weather so a lot of Brits basically treat it as a training camp.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

That looks pretty cool! Mind, the results for 2014 all say “Elite” or “Masters” for category….and I’m neither of those!

(I was actually thinking weeknight criteriums in Belgium or something like, to tie in with a longer holiday)

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Belgium is full of ’em, Kermesse is the word you want to look out for.

I’ve done plenty of cross races but never a Kermesse so don’t know the exact in’s and out’s but I think you’ll need a Belgian registration card, usually available at the race for a few euro’s and an International Racing Licence from British Cycling.

Normally (with cross races) you just rock up at the (usually) local cafe the HQ will be in, pay your money, sign on and race. normally money down then deposit back when you had your number back and if you’re lucky an envelope of prize money. Categories are usually Elite Zonder Contract (Non Professional Elites) then lower cats A,B,C etc.

Don’t expect an easy ride though, Belgians will kill you for a tenner and tend to ride like it’s the last thing they’ll ever do.

I’ll try and find out the script though as a mate of mine is a Pro in Belgium so will know the score.

crazy-legs

The year that I was there they had:
    Elite (bless them, they were SO proud that Michael Rasmussen was riding the event – he got soundly booed at presentation!)
    Masters
    Open (basically anyone who wasn’t really old or really good)
    Women

Maybe they’ve just merged the Open into the other 2 categories.

If you go to Belgium, be prepared for a kicking; the standard, even at weeknight town crits is very high.

njee20
    Free Member

Bikerbruce who posts occasionally is out in Belgium at the mo, although I think he’s also doing ‘cross.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Oh I get kicked here in England, so I wouldn’t expect anything less.

On the other hand I might just go to watch, if there was something on whilst I was on a longer holiday

oldgit
    Free Member

I did years ago, Belgium. The racing is very (or was) hard, long and fast. Kermesses are (or were) quite frankly terrifying. There wasn’t any polite etiquette you have to and were expected to look after yourself. The pavement was IIRC fair game. They didn’t like poor riders or worst crashy riders. That said it was superbe.
    The husband of the lady that ran B&B place I stayed at would wash my bike before I went home, and she fed me very well.

TiRed

Kermis Racing in Belgium

Quite tempted myself as we are planning to head out for Ronde Van Vlaanderen nex spring.

kilo

Slightly ot but I can recommend the duo Normand. Two up tt closedish roads start ramp and you can have a following car

mtbtomo
    Free Member

OT is fine Kilo, was hoping to maybe take in one of the Spring Classics, do a bit of riding and maybe get a race of some description in. TT would be good too.

Depends if I can persuade anyone to come with me.

oldgit
    Free Member

I’d recommend doing some ‘just riding’ there first just to get used to the furniture, riding on the wrong side of the road and of course the cobbles.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

A boy I ride with recently got invited to race in Belgium as a guest with a team, said it was absolutely bat shit mental fast/technical, 200 under 18’s elbow to elbow with no fear trying to tear each others legs off! He’s 100x the rider I am and said he struggled, can’t imagine!!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Any 3rd cat or other amateur races abroad?’ is closed to new replies.