Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Any 10 UTB updates?
  • SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Anyone know how the race is going?

ton

it is raining…….. 😀

iainc

spoke to a mate there who said his trio binned it after 3 laps – foot deep puddles, many people walking as parts of course unrideable, heavy rain and blowing a gale. Glad I couldn’t make it now 🙂

kaesae
    Free Member

Just spoke to someone who is there 15 mins ago, pissing with rain, windy and most people have already called it a day.

There are of course the diehard riders who will keep going no matter what.

😀

ton

Grieg Brown is leading apparently.
    come on the Dog……………… 8)

wee-al
    Free Member

my mates rab and rob are leading the pairs by ten minutes apparently.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Some people called it a day not most !

A fat bike ss lap is 20 mins longer than a normal bike lap

Rain is horrendous

Gazeebos upsides down ….

We ran out o brake pads ! – hence did a lap on fat bike at end of our day ! Off to the indian soon 🙂

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Go Radoggair!

trail_rat
    Free Member

G unit wins !

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

I had to call it a day after 7 laps. Solo senior.
    Got through 2 sets of brake pads and 1 chain, forks stopped working, no precise gear changes, zero visability with all the spray & mud, then for whatever reason my rear brake packed up all together-it was utterly miserable, but so long as I kept going I was fine. It took me 10 mins to attempt a bodged repair on my rear brake, but in that time I had become so cold and miserable that the warmth of the camper was too irresistable. Got up to 6th in the solos before all the mechanicals which I was pleased with, but guess I finished well down in the end.
    Some good banter going round though-surprising given the conditions!

solar
    Free Member

Yeah, bloody miserable conditions. I left my maxle in the car park too so if anyone has picked it up please mail me! 🙁

jordie
    Free Member

Hey Kaesae have a new set of your bearings in some pro 2s for 10 under i will let you know how they got on as the weather was rubbbbish.That is the wettest day i have ever been out in

pixelmix
    Free Member

my mates rab and rob are leading the pairs by ten minutes apparently.

I think we were parked beside them in the car park – seemed to be going well.

Was glad the bike shop had let me down with my recent bike repair. Having to borrow their demo bike was a stroke of genius. Don’t think it will be the same again after 6 laps of mud and rain.

Anyone seen the results? The link on the website doesn’t seem to be set up properly yet.

Rockplough
    Free Member

I was in a pair. We managed three laps a piece before sacking it. Course conditions really were awful. We did a recce lap the night before and parts were unrideable already, so when the rain kept coming down it was game over.

I was disappointed that the course was billed as ‘100% rideable’ despite blatantly not being, particularly in view of last years weather (and you could say the weather in the Fort William area in general).

We took a gazebo, but our stuff got soaked anyway due to the wind. Gazebo ended up in a skip.

From what I saw a lot of people sacked it. I saw a good few race numbered bikes leaving, or sitting on roof racks in the car park. That was early afternoon onwards.

That was my second 10UTB. Don’t think I’ll be going back.

Stu661
    Free Member

Sorry to say it depends on how you ride, I managed 5 laps in a pair and cleaned all the fresh cut sections until they took them out. Thought the event was great, weather was poor but that’s Scotland. You can’t be a fair weather rider up here.

Diane
    Free Member

previous 2 or 3 years before the last two were super hot – 25-30 deg

stevemtb
    Free Member

Most anoying thing for me was that on my last two laps (pretty late in the day) they opened up the bit of singletrack we used on the first lap instead of the mud bath. Not sure if it actually was the best bit of ST I’ve ever ridden but it certainly felt it at the time!!

Pretty miserable conditions. I’d pretty muc jacked it in as a pair until I saw how far down the leaderboard we were. Just glad I got a few goes on the new track.

Ended up running/riding on a flat for the last three miles trying to beat the final finish time, thought I didn’t have tyre levers for some reason and with yards to go remembered there were some on my multi-tool, oops!

Looking back I’m already thinking it was great but at the time when my last set of dry clothes got wet I just wanted to get out of there and get a shower. Wasn’t very happy heading out of there at 10 o’clock yet again soaked!

fasthaggis

Stu661

Sorry to say it depends on how you ride

+1

Yup ,I did 8 laps and thought the course was ok ,considering all the weather going on. No mechanicals, no punctures and the brakes made it till my last lap (just)
    I found most of it was ridable (and I ain’t no riding god) when there was no traffic,and it had the added bonus of no midge.

DickBarton

Didn’t ride it but after spending 14 hours there in the pee’ing rain, I thoroughly enjoyed the event and being the pit b!tch for the mixed pair team.

My wife’s first time riding up there and she loved it…didn’t complain about the techie stuff that was a bit too technical for her , she just got off and ran/walked on – she was totally taking by the race and wanting to do the best she could. Mate was her race partner and this was his first 10 hour event – he rode the whole course – no probs, but he loves riding techie stuff anyway.

They both raved about the course – both didn’t like the big fireroad climb but did seem to enjoy the singletrack bits – apart from the last lap for both – the muddy section near the auction mart (I think), was pretty much hub-deep slurry and they both didn’t like that bit.

Both have said they’d do it again and we are already thinking of ways to improve cloth changes/staying dry.

I figured I’d be under cover for most of the day fixing bikes/sorting food and stuff so chucked a waterproof jacket on – spent most of the day – 12+ hours in the rain – my hands had swollen so I couldn’t see my knuckles…they are normal now but I now have very wrinkly fingers!

Weather didn’t bother me as I wasn’t riding but I thought it was a great day…as much as the riders looked proper soaked, none of the people who spoke to me said anything about chucking it in or not enjoying it…so although it was proper grim, the racers did seem to be enjoying it in some sick way!

Say the Sandman bike…didn’t actually believe those tyres were as big as they are until I saw it in the flesh…

The finished 7th out of 19th in the Senior Mixed Pairs…and they were proper chuffed with that – 8 laps.

OrangeChammy
    Free Member

It was brutal, did 3 laps and gave up – had loads of energy but just got a bit fed up – was kind of like riding in a big river. A few mates did more laps but in general it became a bit like ‘whats the point?’ unless you stood a chance of a podium – one of our club riders did seven laps on a single speed so there were true characters out there!

It was the usual May Scottish weather – much more of a winter condition in all honesty – I reckon the event should be April, that seems the best bet up here now. I keep thinking back to 2009, 23c and sunburnt… while sitting in a leaking tent with hypothermia.

The course was not 100% ridable… if you cleared the 2 muddy tech sections then you are officially a riding god! however I dont think any course should be 100% ridable – where is the challenge, that said it was a bit shorter than usual. Don’t think anyone can blame No Fuss for the loop – they did their best while trying to create some fun sections off the fire roads – the weather just beat them. The usual running of the event was great and the atmosphere is always nice and relaxed.

Could possibly help if some new official but challenging singletrack sections were ‘built’ at Nevis to cope with unseasonal weather – it would hold up better to hundreds of riders and help keep bikes running, this seems to be what is lacking on these trails compared to Glentress and Innerleithen for example.

The gondala trip in Friday was very exciting, and there seemed to be more snow up top as there is on some ski days.

Rockplough
    Free Member

Stu661, fair enough. Respect to you if you cleaned those sections. I didn’t see a single other person manage it.

I agree you can’t be a fair weather rider up here, but I have to insist on at least being a rider.

DickBarton

The bike wash jetwash packed up for most of the day…think it got back working after about 15:30, but it was out of action (unless you wanted a stream of water like p!ss) from around 10:45…seemed a shame but then plenty water from elsewhere!

Also watched about 7 DHers in their gear coming down the DH run and bursting through the tape to end their run through some racers…seemed a bit off but not sure anyone else noticed them.

I liked the atmosphere…everyone was suffering the same issues so the whole thing was a level playing field (which was getting soggier and muddier by the hour!).

kaesae
    Free Member

Two of my friends did quite well Dorota Bugajska and Kamil Pompe, poor Dorota had a cold, saw her on friday when she picked her bike up after I serviced it and her bike is rubbish as well, 2006 kona kikapu.

Kamil, did good as well, as far as I know he came in fourth as a pair. Lots of good photo’s, crazy bastards 😀

Before I forget Dorota did 6 laps 😆

cakeeater
    Free Member

7 Laps as a solo rider and thoroughly enjoyed it. So it rained all day and the course became a liitle muddy! With the exception of the 2 natural sections that were taken out towards the end of the day, it was all rideable. Downside for me was 4 flats (Maxxis exception High Rollers, 10/10 for grip 0/10 puncture protection) and a pretty big OTB crash on the rocky descent near the end of the carpark. Hats off to the marshalls and the event organisers, job well done.

kaesae
    Free Member

Is there any footage of the day, that would be great, must have been a lot of crashes 😀

clubby

Even if the weather had been ok, I still think the course was poor compared to prevoius years. Didn’t really seem to be any payoff for that long climb. None of the descents were very inspiring. I don’t know if it’s just because I’d done the event three times before or not. The first timers we were with loved it.
    Being able to ride the natural sections were mainly dependant on having no-one in front of you, but unfortunately I always seemed to have a queue in front of me, probably because I was so slow on the climbs. Best part was the really rocky horseshoe shaped section of the WC course, got a clean run on my second lap and flew through it. Only did 2 laps this year, normally do 3.
    Can’t blame No fuss for the weather, but I do think they should have thought more about how the course would hold up if it rained, especially as the same thing happened last year to some sections.
    The marshalls deserve a big thank you for standing there for 10 hours in awful conditions and still staying cheerful.

cupra
    Free Member

4 laps solo til I packed it in, ran out of dry clothes and when I stopped for food just got bloody cold and found it hard to get going again. I never saw anyone ride the whole course, but respect to those to did. Haven’t done it since 2006 but will be back, next time fitter! Congrats to organisers for excellent atmosphere and thanks to whoever put a dent in my van in the car park and fecked off.

chrisdb
    Free Member

Managed 5 laps solo – it was wet but it wasn’t windy and wasn’t cold if you kept moving so it could have been a lot worse! Got through a set of rear pads – the sandy soil up there is killer!

The course was good, the natural sections were pretty tricky but they were rideable – problem was that there were so many people walking that you struggled to put a line together so lost momentum and ended up walking too.

Organisation was excellent as usual and the banter on course was good!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Cupra – was probably a stray gazeebo – saw one or 2 hitting cars / vans – my van has a couple new dents – chunts

Bolt

Yes it was wet and cold between laps, but thoroughly enjoyable non the less. Loking forward to Kirroughtree!

Ass mentioned the organisation was excellant.

Solar There was an axle on the table in under the main tent, must have been yours.

Bolt

Gutterball
    Free Member

I managed 8 laps, never really felt cold until I stopped. Being on the course was certainly nicer than waking up in the tent on Saturday morning.

I couldn’t clear the two natural sections, I’m short of skill and a bit of a wuss, but don’t think they were unrideable – I saw people ride most bits. Walking them was a nice rest anyway. Did anyone else find the long muddy stretch after the auction mart great fun?

Sincere thanks to the marshalls, especially the dude near the end and the lads at the boardwalk near the finish, encouraging words on every single lap, really helped keep my spirits up.

devs
    Free Member

6 laps solo here. I managed to ride the whole course at one point or another but never did a clean lap unfortunately! I managed to puncture a LUST HR so put a tube in and one of my cranks fell off but apart from that I pretty much loved it. The route they used when they closed the natural sections was brilliant! Jumps and everything! It put a smile on the face and a wee boost into the tired legs.
    We had caravans, vans and gazebos and camped from Fri till this morning. It was pretty much a top notch weekend although the slab of cider helped me sleep through the horrendous weather.

devs
    Free Member

Did anyone else find the long muddy stretch after the auction mart great fun?

Yep! I managed pretty much the same line through it all day. It was amazing how much wetter and river like it got from lap to lap.

Sincere thanks to the marshalls, especially the dude near the end and the lads at the boardwalk near the finish, encouraging words on every single lap, really helped keep my spirits up.

Ditto the thanks. The wee lads were with us and did a great job.

pixelmix
    Free Member

+1 for marshals and running of the event. Some of the marshals were great for standing in the rain all day and still shouting encouragement every single lap.

The natural sections would have been great if they had been a bit drier, and were a good addition to keep all tastes catered for. I enjoyed the muddy section at the bottom of the course as it was satisfying to get through without at dab. Struggled a bit on some of the slippy top sections, but they were a nice challenge. Could have done with a bit less fireroad for my taste (lower section seemed a bit of an slog across dull open ground), but still enjoyed the event. My pair plugged on slowly for 10 muddy laps.

Top.Dog
    Free Member

5 laps for me, although i’m a bit disappointed i didn’t go out for one more – The temptation of a shower and beer was too much.

An over-the-bars moment on one of the freshly cut sections (you know the one with the wooden partition as a step down) on lap 2 meant i lost my bottle there, and didn’t try it again after that. Apart from that, everthing else was rideable. The muddy bit after the auction was great, so much grip in all that mud, unbeleivable.

My last lap was when they changed the route, but only missed out 1 freshly cut section.

Anyway, great support from the marshals, and another good event from Fraser and the crew.

See you all next year

soulrider
    Free Member

It was my Lady’s first big MTB race and she loved it
    4 laps solo before she ran out of dry clothes to change into
    The lower section of mud she found easy to ride through

she is now looking forward to Kirro or Llandegla

radoggair
    Free Member

it was a very tough day out. The weather wasn’t really an issue, it was pretty reaonable until about 3pm, then it rained but i never felt it was too heavy. The course had 3 (4 when you were tired) tough sections.. the 1 mile long guess a route muddy section after the auction mart( but still 100% rideable all day) and the 2 natural sections ( the 4th was the hill of doom ). Felt after lap 3 the 2 natural sections were pointless and just ran them as it was quicker, the course was so much better when they were taken out. The first half was climbing the second half was descending so no guesses on which i preferred.

Anyway, had a great pit crew of the 2 Stu’s and Jill who were marvellous all day and a big reason for being constant and doing so well, changing brake pads and also keeping my lap stops to a 10 second affair. Also a big shout out to Stuartie C’ parents for allowing me to stay at their house the night before instead of my tent ( the smallest one in the car park beside the red Civic).

The race was actually really good, 3 of us grabbed a lead half way up the first climb, then 1 of the boys started having a gear mechanical so just me and another guy who was in pairs. He pulled away from me but i was quite content at the pace i was going . Somehow the guy in front took the wrong route so i managed to lead going into lap 2 which when doing solo is never i good sight. Just after the auction mart before the horrible muddy section grabbed a snake bite and took what seemed like an incredible amount of time to fix but in reality lost 12 places ( 2 in my category). By top of climb of that lap had caught the main bunch and slowly moved through them where Oli Young stayed on my wheel.
    We slowly grabbed a lead from everyone else so we chatted alot for next lap. I know Oli well which helped. Into Lap 3 and i pulled a gap from Oli but he closed it again so we talked tactics and we knew we had 5 or 6 mins lead so discussed slowing pace down slightly. Into Lap 4 and Oli disappeared, think it was mechanical and early fatigue so i plodded on regardless. Had a 1 or 2 riders pass me so grabbed there wheel for some sections before letting them go on the climbs. Slowly gained time every lap on everyone and i think laps were pretty constant before the rear brake flet like it was letting go. The good thing i noticed about the course was you didn’t use the brakes alot. Told my pit crew that we’ll fix them next lap so lap 9 pulled in for brake change ( also red bull, jelly babies gallore, 2 chocolate cookies and a choc rice krispie). Went out again and had a decent lead but started feeling quite crap so was happy to spin up the climbs and make time of descents although had a head on collision with a tree which dented the helmet, knocked me off my bike and gave me a sore ear. lap 10 and front brake was going so planned to change pads on lap 11 which we did. Wasn’t sure how i was doing and whether i needed to do 12 laps so was hoping lap 11 was my last. Kept eating and drinking, chatted to a few people on the way round and always looked forward to getting to the top of the final climb cos it was nearly all down from there. Got to pit at end of that lap and was shoved out ‘to enjoy it’ ( yeah, good one stuartie), so not knowing if anyone else would be able to start Lap 12 pushed the first part but had really noticed amount of people on course was diminished so most of the time had no one around me. Soon as i got to top of final climb i relaxed alot, swooped down the great descents, pounded the fast fireroads and generally counted down sections left until finish line.

Over the line, 12 laps completed compared to 11 last year and retained my solo crown.
    Very disappointed with the medals though, thought there would of at least been a trophy for winners.

Overall, great event, typical unpredictable Scottish weather, fantastic marshalling and good job by no Fuss. Next year has to be sunny though…….right???

robgarrioch

Well done Grieg, good wee report that. Didn’t you get any pics? 🙂

stevemtb
    Free Member

Got to echo that, well done. 12 laps in those conditions is completely mental!

fasthaggis

Well done that man ,and another big shout for the marshals.
    That bloke in the orange jacket after the shore and the kids in the trees 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Any 10 UTB updates?’ is closed to new replies.