Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Anxiety and Panic Attacks…
  • the-muffin-man

A family member has been suffering with anxiety and panic attacks with increasing regularity over the last six months. She's been on the waiting list for counselling to try and get to the bottom of things and hopefully should see one on Friday.

In the meantime her Doctor has just prescribed a mild dose of Citalopram, but I'm not too keen on this. Can anyone recommend some good websites where she can find advice on coping strategies etc.

Cheers

iDave
    Free Member

I can highly recommend someone who has had great success at helping in cases like this – email me

breatheeasy
    Free Member

If you've anyone who got the Sunday Mail last sunday I think there was the start of a series of articles about exercise, food and breathing techniques – I didn't read it fully at my folks but might be worth investigating, looked interesting anyway.

Bit of exercise now that the weather has improved? Pretty much the answers I've seen whilst looking around.

mefty
    Free Member
    hosepipe
    Free Member

citalopram makes your personality go very…..flat. like you're not there as much as you were before. but it's ok and easy to come off the drug. it might help for 6 months or a year. avoid valium definately, and booze doesn't help as hangovers make you vulnerable, and lack of sleep makes you vulnerable too. the best thing i can recommend is getting cognitive psychotherapy AS SOON AS poss…. it will help her to question logically what is happening to her, and she will realise she won't die of a heart attack etc. she will also become more accepting of her own personality. This is going to sound nuts, but if she feels a panic attack coming on (adrenaline building and stuff), a good thing to do is go for a run….just leg it somewhere! that's just one thing. let me know if you need more info or she does.

tails
    Free Member

A big part of mental health for me is exercise, if she is not doing any get out with her, either cycling, jogging, circuits, walking, skipping. I to would never take citalopram, typical doctor answer to any problem like that. friday is very near and counseling will be far better, whatever any other STWer says.

crikey
    Free Member

whatever any other STWer says

Hmmmm, nothing like reasoned debate then…

I've used Citalopram both personally and professionally and contrary to some opinions, it can be a valuable way of buying some thinking time and breaking the cycle of anxiety-panic-guilt-anxiety that people can get stuck in.

It doesn't work for everyone, it's not a magic bullet, and yes, as above it can flatten out your experiences and responses. But compared to the waking hell that some people find themselves in, it can be a valuable adjunct to other, longer term therapies.

It's not an answer to mental health problems, but can help until one comes along.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I'm currently on a low dose (10mg per day) of Citalopram, can't say whether it has flattened my personality (maybe others can say?) but i can say that is is certainly helping me to stay on an even keel.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Anxiety disorder deprived me of most of my twenties.

I just didn't do anything or go anywhere and if I did, I'd end up coming home in a real mess.

For me, counselling was unsuccessful.

I was prescribed Paroxetine (20mg) which I still take every day. I'm 41 next week.

I beleive that I am one of many whose brain re-uptakes too much serotonin – the "feel good / even keel" hormone secreted by the brain. Being left with a low residual level of this hormone left me vulnerable to black thoughts and debilitating episodes of panic. Paroxetine, brand name Seroxat, prevents the brain from resorbing as much serotonin, leaving one with a normal residual level. This has helped me to get on with my life and construct a strategy to prevent black thoughts and subsequent panic episodes.

Essentially, a panic attack makes the victim feel that they are going to die. Sweating, breathlessness, pins and needles in the face and arms, nausea, chest pain etc..

My principal mantra – if you feel like you're going to die, every day then you'd be better off dead. Profound I know but it works for me and now I do everything I want to do without being crippled by anxiety.

Seroxat doesn't add anything but it stops essential hormones from being taken away from you.

I hope this helps someone.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I think its important to remember that the drugs are a treatment not a cure. They can provide valuable breathing space and ease symptoms. sometimes this is enough, sometime counselling works as well, sometimes nothing works.

There is no one answer that suits everyone and no one can really tell what will suit any individual. its a question of trial and error.

steve-g
    Free Member

skip to the end

Exercise, hard, push it beyond what's comfortable, exercise. Then go get some sun somewhere.

Find people to talk to, or even just people who will listen.

Breathe your way through the physical symptoms.

Get a decent "coping with stress" book and try to avoid the tablets.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Correct breathing techniques will stop a panic attack. Breathing is absolutely vital to the fight or flight scenario. You cannot run effectively if your breathing is incorrect, and you cannot have a panic attack if your breathing is "incorrect". Controlled, slow, and deep, breathing, will break the cycle which quickly occurs when the adrenalin and multitude of other chemicals, suddenly appear rushing round you brain after a panic attack kicks off.IMHO

Scarcat67
    Free Member

Anxiety along with depression are not well understood by the experts nevermind Joe Public. For certain individuals it is not temporary as TandemJeremy puts it, it is an missing chemical in one's brain just like insulin which the body will no longer manufacture. If medication is needed one has to take it, in order to be able to live again, a diabetic doesnot stop taking insulin else they die.Once a nervous system has been overloaded like a car with a lot of miles you can't just thrash it, it needs to be stopped, stripped down , repaired so that it can run again.As somebody who has to live with anxiety and depression there's no amount of MTFU or positive thinking or will power in some cases as its due to a missing chemical, anxiety and depression should be thought of as a physical illness such as a broken leg as your brain and spinal chord are part of the limbic system. My advice to you is to be kind to your family member, accept that the medication may well be needed to help repair that persons limbic system whilst they will need to take things easy (you don't run a marathon on a broken leg), and to end the living hell they know find themselves in, it is not a nice place to be I can assure you…I do sincerely wish them well and if they need to talk to a fellow sufferer well I will help all I can…

Houns

Well said Scarcat67

Sadly my depression is causing me to be extremely anxious and have had panic attacks. I know this is happening to me and the fact its happening is making me feel more down, vicious circle.

hosepipe
    Free Member

blimey, one thing i did learn when all this happened to me 5 years ago was just how common it is! a good few replies here. once I lost my shyness about it and started describing it to people, it's amazing how many people said they suffered too or knew of someone close to them who was suffering with it. people keep it secret and are embarrassed, initially, but chatting about it and telling people really helps….

Warrenpfo
    Free Member

|I find all this very interesting as being someone who has never given any time to those with "mental" problems in the past I find myself suffering from what I can only deduce is anxiety. Being the man in a relationship and having always been in control of my body and mind I find myself being sick and making myself have an upset stomach if I go out the house for dinner or any meal for that matter. I think I know too well why I am suffering and have been prescribed Diazapan which I don’t take as I tried it once and it knocked me out.

It’s horrible not being in control I find myself saying "come one get over this you are better and can beat it..Stop being such a sissy” but it does not help. Not that it helps but I think the more you can talk about it the better you feel.

Houns

Yep i can't eat when out as i suffer from ibs, the fear of having it come on when im out makes me v anxious. (tbh the ibs side is the main cause of the depression/anxiety)

crikey
    Free Member

Lots and lots of people suffer in this way, and IT'S NOTHING TO BE ASHAMED OF!

Sometimes medication can help, sometimes other things can help, but for **** sake stop suffering in silence and pretending that you are ok. Go and see your GP, see what help is on offer.

You only get one life, please don't spend it being miserable when help is available!

richpips
    Free Member

Email me. I know some stuff 😉

richpips.stw@gmail.com

Suggsey
    Free Member

I must say that the Citoplam has helped my teenage daughter get on a more even keel whilst she awaits her first CBT session on Friday following the death of her friend and her fiance returning from Afghanistan minus his best friend.
    I have also noticed that there is a distinct variation in her mood/depression and resultant panic attacks when she has not been sleeping to well or staying up too late.
    It can be very hard for the family of sufferers particularly as the wife suffers as well and is also on medication.
    So what I want to say to all you people who are battling with the illness-spare a thought for your supporters/relatices just once in a while especially if perhaps once in a blue moon they are 'snappy' or 'bad tempered'.

tang
    Free Member

another one here who suffers. been a tough year all in all. no drugs but plenty of other work, getting there. its slow and sometimes 1 step forward 3 steps back. had some normal weeks, boy does that feel good. looking forward to some more! wishing you well.

Sandwich

Warrenpfo Can I suggest you go back to the doctor and ask for a different drug. A good GP will realise people react differently to drugs, Prozac didn't cut it for me but Citalopram is better with fewer physical side effects.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Anxiety and Panic Attacks…’ is closed to new replies.