Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Antur Stiniog – Brilliant weekend!
  • rollindoughnut
    Free Member

First time ever doing an uplift and to anyone who says it’s for lazy people then I’ll counter with the fact I do a shed-load of xc racing and my legs hurt more after a day of this than after a 6 hour race.

The pain was of course the result of the ‘again, again’ mentality induced by popping out of each downhill run right next to a waiting minibus. These guys have got the turn around so slick that I had to force myself to stop for a drink etc once in a while.
    Added to that was the option to whizz past the bus and shoot down the jump track as a finale to many runs, which resulted in even more grins/exhaustion.

Had the best two days there, and found a deep inner peace on the second day as we bumped up the track to the summit with views of the surrounding mountains and the prospect of the next rocky descent awaiting. (Work has been overwhelming recently and I really needed a break)

Rode all the trails on my Blue Pig hardtail with 160mm Talas, clipped in and all. But I was in the minority of one and everyone elses’ hardcore downhill rigs looked much more suitable. Still, I didn’t die!

Final note was that a fella really hurt himself coming up short on a double; broke his arm in 3 places and knocked himself out for a while. Whilst we kept him company, a medic came up on a quad bike and carried out a detailed assessment of the casualty whilst talking to the hospital. They played it safe and organised an ambulance and spinal board for him and then I believe a helicopter. (He was apparently ok when I asked about him the next day – David, get well soon)
    I was very impressed with the professionalism of all the staff and felt safer because of it.

Great weekend, can’t wait to go back despite the 6hr drive each way!

st

Two of us were there with you on Friday, you had a few flats but plenty of smiles as I remember.

Top day, last time I went there was ice on the rocks so it was nice to have warm dry weather.

kimbers

we were there on the saturday, 1st time too

was really impressed some great tracks for all abilities but the 2 blacks were my favourite and a proper test (still chickened out of the big drop)

but the setup there is great and the cafe etc was great

still buzzing and cant wait to go back

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Hi st. It was my mate whole had all the flats – went through 4 tubes ffs! Solved it when i found a roll of Stans tape and we went tubeless.

Really enjoyed meeting and chatting with everyone there. Thought the vibe was great and there was opportunity to relax and natter.

Kimbers; if you’re talking about the drop into the final black section then you are forgiven for chickening out. Personally I would have thought rock shoes and a rope would have been more appropriate than a bike!

grahamt1980

Was up there with kimbers on saturday.
    Its an awesome place, want to get back there soon. Some wicked trails to ride, and yeah that drop is bloody silly. Not ever planning on going near that.
    The switchbacks on the Double black are amazing, like a small bit of the alps in wales.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Off in October with a certain midlander of this parish and I canne chuffn wait. If you folks have any pics/vids o your trip, then post em up.

samcamsdad

just booked a day on the uplift for next friday, cant wait! my once yearly weekend away with my bike. 😀

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I took a camera but was having too much fun to stop and take pics.

I sooooo want to nail that drop!

Northwind

It is so good, can’t wait to get back. Might do the drop on the big bike, on the other hand, might not :mrgreen: I take solace in having seen Danny Hart use the right hand chicken run, and then come up short on the big daft jumps after. It’s not the chicken run now, it’s the world champion pro line 🙂

karen805
    Free Member

Heading up in late August, can’t wait!! Never ridden there before.

Saturday at Antur, Sunday at Coed Y Brenin – sounds like the perfect weekend.

kimbers

will hopefully get a vid up our cameraman is slow

grahanm when you next seeing him, get a copy of them?

grahamt1980

Hopefully next week, but not sure, will hassle him a bit

elsubstar
    Free Member

So Mr Doughnut.. when are we going again!?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Antur Stiniog – Brilliant weekend!’ is closed to new replies.