• This topic has 49 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by igm.
Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • anti tamper plug socket blanks for a toddler
  • skidartist
    Free Member

its how the jaccuzzi was invented, the boiling flesh of one reveller standing close to the electric flipflops was noted to produce a lovely relaxy bubbly sensation for all the other party goers in the pool

BigJohn

Either stick proper plugs in them or drill a small hole through the blanking plug and use a self tapping screw to fix them solid.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Thank you for the useful replies. I did expect the usual stw reponses 😆

crispedwheel
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion – Member

If it were me, I'd be making sure my supply was protected as a higher priority than worrying about blanking plates.

Well it is clear you don't have kids isn't it. Ufck 'em, I am sure the RCD will do its job, it'll be right.

Err, how do you jump to that conclusion, about not having kids, from that statement? Isn't the poster just saying that the priority (i.e. the first thing to get sorted, and ensure is working correctly), is the protection to the supply – the RCD. The OP hasn't mentioned whether they have this in their house or not. Then, if you're still worried, you can move on to the additional protection of anti tamper blanks, the merits of which are debated above. Seems like a reasonable position to take.

igm

I bought some of those blanking covers when our four year old was born, looked hard at them and thought "some very intelligent people thought for a long time before coming up with a British Standard for sockets that was then subject to peer review before being issued; meanwhile a load of people who know folks with young babies will buy anything they think might help protect them decided they would see if they could make money by selling blanking covers".

I'd go with a decent quality BS socket everytime – shielded already by kit that has been build to a standard. If the OP emails me I dig out the (unopened I think) pack of blanking covers and send them through FoC (assuming I can find them).

Rio

There are some useful reviews of socket covers here – link – suprised no-one's linked to it already !

Edit: although I see that Mastiles-f has already used one of their pictures!

tron
    Free Member

I suggest the Health'n'Safety fanatics who'd rather be safe than sorry have a look at this:

http://fatallyflawed.org.uk/

The site demonstrates numerous failure modes for these devices. The safest system is built into MK sockets, and requires all three shutters to be triggered at once – ie, by a plug and by nothing else.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Many many years ago a friend of a friend of Mum's four year old got killed by sticking a hair slide into a socket.

Been very wary ever since.

Cougar

Well it is clear you don't have kids isn't it. Ufck 'em, I am sure the RCD will do its job, it'll be right.

As CrispedWheel says, you miss my point somewhat.

If I were concerned for the safety of my (non-existent) children around electrical outlets, I would prioritise making sure that the electrical supply was safe before concerning myself with blanking plates whose value above the cosmetic is debatable.

igm

tron – Member
    The safest system is built into MK sockets

+1

MK – probably consistently the best manufacturer of sockets, switches and plugs out there – IMHO. Not the cheapest unfortunately, so builders tend not to install them as standard (waits to be flamed by the STW builders collective)

A great place to start if you value your family's lives.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘anti tamper plug socket blanks for a toddler’ is closed to new replies.