Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Anti-pollution cycling masks
  • superleggero
    Free Member

Interesting article in the Grundian about anti-pollution cycling masks, including some of the comments:
    http://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2015/oct/07/avoiding-pollution-on-bike-we-test-cycling-anti-pollution-masks-respro-totobobo-biologic

See a few on the inner city streets but never considered wearing one when commuting down here in the big smoke, and in many ways the article backs up my general feelings about them – uncomfortable, limited effectiveness, look a bit of a t*t etc.

Would be interested to hear what other STW’ers think.

Trimix
    Free Member

Are they not a bit like hand brakes for canoes ?

gonzy
    Free Member

i bought one of the first generation Respro ones back in the late 90’s. i used it a few times and couldnt get used to it…it was really restrictive on my breathing and left me feeling like i was riding with a sock stuffed in my mouth and cotton wool in my nostrils…i still have it somewhere in the house but i doubt i’ll use it ever again

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Guy at work was really suffering from the polution (affecting sleep, etc) – bought a mask and is now OK – doesn’t find it too bad.

growinglad
    Free Member

i bought one of the first generation Respro ones back in the late 90’s. i used it a few times and couldnt get used to it…it was really restrictive on my breathing and left me feeling like i was riding with a sock stuffed in my mouth and cotton wool in my nostrils…i still have it somewhere in the house but i doubt i’ll use it ever again

Exactly the same….I still chuckle when I’m racking through my kit and find it in the bottom of the box.

Not bad on the really cold days though, but I’d much rather pull my snood up….at least you have half a chance of breathing through that.

nemesis
    Free Member

And don’t forget that you were supposed to change the carbon filters regularly to get the claimed benefits…

Garry_Lager

If you commute in Delhi they might be worth looking at – pointless in the UK. Quite restrictive of breathing as has been mentioned.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Anti-pollution cycling masks’ is closed to new replies.