Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Anti Fret Paste
  • windysurfer
    Free Member

Just about to change a couple of bearings on my Whyte bike and the service manual states I ‘MUST’use anti-fret paste when I reassemble.

What is anti-fret paste and can it be bought in small amounts?
    The only one I can find is a huge tub which would last me 10 lifetimes and is expensive

cheers

woodster

Anti fret? I wouldn’t worry about it.

wwaswas

Woodster – boom!

thesquaredog
    Free Member

It also states that anti fret paste must be used in the manual for my 2008 Marin so I had the same problem. Contacted the UK Marin distributors who recommended Castrol Optimol paste which can be bought in a small tube for about a tenner. Think it’s to stop the frame and linkage surfaces from corroding together. Always use it when reassembling after replacing the bearings.

Dibbs
    Free Member

This is what you need.

I think it’s about £80 a tin. 😉

Edit: I was wrong, only £58.

windysurfer
    Free Member

Only £58!!

I just need smaller tube. Would some copper grease do the same job?

Dibbs
    Free Member

I doubt it, why not try your local Whyte dealer they may have a bit lying around the workshop.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Would some copper grease do the same job

to be fair that’s what I use in similar applications (like my Alpine 160, or the BB30 bottom bracket I’ve just fitted into my SuperX). Or use a bearing retainer compound to stick them in – you’re trying to stop the bearing from moving in the frame and causing damage so you either need a lube with a solid component (the copper in copper grease, which shears easily) or a compound that stops the bearing moving. Different bike manufacturers have different solutions to the same issue – my Nomad bearing kit came with Loctite bearing retainer, and a quick google shows you can buy a tube of “641” for £6 or £7.

If you are that worried about using the “right” stuff I’d be looking at Square Dog’s recommendation as £10 is not much for peace of mind?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Anti Fret Paste’ is closed to new replies.