Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Anti-bargain / horrendous money-pit of 2014
  • chakaping
    Free Member

Because sometimes our purchasing decisions are not as canny as we’d hope.

For us it continues to be our beloved pet dog – costing us hundreds in vet bills, drugs and damaged property. Not to mention the restricted social opportunities.

He looks cute in his Xmas jumper though…

Yours?

wrightyson
    Free Member

If this pic works?

jimjam
    Free Member

chakaping

That looks like one of those “race specific” dogs though. It’s not his fault, perhaps you should have purchased an entry level “do it all” dog.

Lazgoat
    Free Member

Chakaping – Shame about the cost and damage to furniture. We used a crate for the first 12 months we had our puppy, to avoid any chewing of furnishings. It’s worked a treat. Didn’t instance cover the vet bills?

Or 2014 money pit is almost due!

davosaurusrex

That’s a tense looking dog.

matt_outandabout

Cost £1200 in spring, then started faulty turbo, needed timing belt and clutch slipped a couple of times etc got rid for another (hopefully slightly less) money pit . 😕

cloudnine
    Free Member

Also the dog. Flooded the whole downstairs of our house. Ate a whole bbq kebab including a 6″ skewer.. which ended up coming out through his side. Also has ongoing hip problems.

chakaping
    Free Member

That looks like one of those “race specific” dogs though. It’s not his fault, perhaps you should have purchased an entry level “do it all” dog.

He’s built for speed and comfort.

But yeah, not very reliable.

chakaping
    Free Member

That’s a tense looking dog.

He’s a bit camera shy (and hopped up on steroids).

metalheart
    Free Member

Like matt_ootnaboot, the motor has cost me £1000 in the last couple of months (ABS sensor faults leading to new wheel bearings, booked in next week for the other side and not much change out of £200 no doubt 😥 ) and front bushings.

Suppose to be expected on a 7-8 y.o. car nudging just shy of 80k

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Like matt_ootnaboot, the motor has cost me £1000 in the last couple of months (ABS sensor faults leading to new wheel bearings, booked in next week for the other side and not much change out of £200 no doubt ) and front bushings.
    Suppose to be expected on a 7-8 y.o. car nudging just shy of 80k

I’ve got a 53 plate celica I’m childishly sentimentally attached too that I won’t sell. It’s on 103k and has only needed consumables.

mrhoppy

Bikes, we’ve made £12,000 in claims on the insurance this year having had six bikes stolen on 2 separate occasions, but that didn’t cover all the bikes or 2 lots of excess. But then there’s always the additional you spend getting new bikes up to scratch and all the spares and stuff you need that doesn’t move across.

jimjam
    Free Member

metalheart – Member

Like matt_ootnaboot, the motor has cost me £1000 in the last couple of months (ABS sensor faults leading to new wheel bearings, booked in next week for the other side and not much change out of £200 no doubt ) and front bushings.

Pffft. Just had a new engine put in. New short motor, crank, all new bearings. Complete top end rebuild. Timing belt. New clutch, new flywheel.

I probably need to put new pads and rotors on so that’ll be £400 quid or so. Currently trying to track down another mystery rumble….could be bushings….could be diff…could be gearbox.

The jury’s out on that one 😉

mattbee

The flat we used to live in that we rent out.
    Had massive damp problems that were eventually tracked down to a leaky header tank overflow, needed new plaster on all 3 bedroom walls, redecorating throughout too.
    Replaced front door and window after a break in attempt.
    Bath dropped by 1 inch due to joist issues related to the above leak. Whilst sorting, discovered that a cellar underneath the bathroom had been poorly sealed. ( discovered by tradesman falling through the rusty corrugated iron under the joists that turned out to be the cellar roof. Had to replace joists and build block columns in cellar to,support them properly.
    Tenant with cats (hidden from us) caused wee related damage to carpets that had to be replaced, paid for by them but still hassle.
    Then the boiler expired and had to be replaced.
    Started to think it may be best to torch the place….

chakaping
    Free Member

Mattbee goes into the lead.

Sandwich

Sandwich Jnr has turned into a money pit. New car (to him) required as the family runabout he was using to get to nursing placement failed it’s MoT in November. (He was working shifts so public transport wasn’t a goer, I did check). We contributed some to the cost, saved buying him a birthday and Christmas present though.
    On Tuesday I get a panicked call to tell me his laptop is not booting (guess who is IT support here). At home I find that;
    He has no up to date back up
    No record of his Windows product code (sticker on machine has worn it’s numbers off).

There may have been some home truths about a robust back up scheme for data in dissertation year.

Data has been recovered and a new disc and windows install is required. Cheaper than a new lap top.

I wonder what he is going to test us with next?

Wrightyson you need to change the sharing preferences on your Flickr account for that pic. S/He looks a lovely pup

CHB

No contest in our house, I give you Grace the British Blue.
    Not cheap to buy, but then she got ill. I still reckon it would have been cheaper to get a new cat and a macbook pro with the change:

[just kidding].

mrfrosty
    Free Member

Nice Whippet. Shame about the expense. When I grow up I’ll get a whippet.

Xylene
    Free Member

^ nice cat.

Why does nobody have pet insurance here?

I want a Maine Coon, but I don’t think the weather here would be very fair on it

bookwyse
    Free Member

What’s wrong with the weather for a Maine Coon. We have two of them and three Bengals so a full house of cats.

Plus we have the insurance as it would be costly if anything happened to all of them!!!

cloudnine
    Free Member

Try getting insurance for a 10 year old labrador with severe hip dysplasia

cranberry
    Free Member

buying, insuring, feeding, buying toys and furniture, the things that they have broken, replacing all the bins in my flat with bengal-proof ones.

it is a bloody good job they are amazing, funny and cute.

binners

Our delightful moggies discovered that the arms of the 2 new leather sofas make ideal scratching posts. You should see the state of them. Wrecked within a week. The mercenary (but very cute and affectionate) little bastards!

Reminded me of the Viz Top Tip: replicate the experience of owning cats by not owning cats, and simply shredding your own furniture with a Stanley knife

Xylene
    Free Member

are bengals hard work?

samuri
    Free Member

Another rented property here. We couldn’t sell our old house despite trying for some time at more and more ridiculous knock down prices so we eventually decided to rent it out before it bankrupted us.

We got some wonderful tenants (who I still think are pretty good) but they turned out to be denser than a slab of lead. They soaked the bathroom floor by inextricably showering without a curtain which resulted in us needing to replace the entire floor, quote from the handyman ‘I could push my screwdriver through the floorboards’. Then while he was replacing the boards he did a quick check of the house and found one of the bedroom radiators had been leaking for a while which had soaked the carpet, the living room ceiling and the plaster in two walls. The tenants knew about it but ‘forgot to tell you’, for about 5 months. And then, late one Saturday night they phoned us up to tell us water was coming through into their bedroom. I went round and had a look, roof leaking. They could have just put a bucket in the loft (which is all I did) and told me next day but they were worried about getting electrocuted?

Anyway, so the house that was supposed to earn us some money has cost us more than we’ve made from it so far. I’m sure plenty of anti-private landlord people will be delighted to hear this but trust me, I never wanted to do it in the first place and it’s literally given me numerous sleepless nights since we started doing it.

cranberry
    Free Member

are bengals hard work?

There is never a dull moment. 😀

They are the sweetest natured cats I have ever known, but they are closely bonded to humans, very energetic, and have extremely curious minds. Whatever you are doing they will be “helping” you – recent examples: wrapping christmas presents, mopping the floor, cleaning out a cupboard, plastering around a light switch – each time they have taken whatever I’ve been doing as a game that exists only for their amusement.

There are some good examples of behaviour here.

bearnecessities

House. £10k ish last year, £4.5k this Jan on new windows & door, with this year set to be easily more expensive than last.

Anyone wanna buy my bike?

[Img]http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag157/Ripley2011/DSC_3112_zps1a8ae149.jpg[/IMG]

samuri
    Free Member

Is that after you’ve renovated it?

cinnamon_girl

Friggin’ portable wireless thermostat controller for the central heating, what a bloody stupid idea. Have no heating once again, you replace the controller and the receiver box has to be replaced too as they’re programmed together.

Only a week ago the replacement controller turned out to be faulty so that’s been replaced but the problem seems to be the receiver box this time.

Was due to ride today but who wants to come back to a freezing cold bathroom for a shower?

Jeez, give me strength. 😐

AndyRT
    Free Member

I’ve got a Maine Coon!

Clumsy, hair shedding muppet that she is.

Has pet insurance, but didn’t cover gingervitis that cost me £££££ plus replacing multiple carpets due to the huge scratching post not being up to her standards and thus ignored.

Oh, and a large cat makes a lot of wee….trust me on that……mattress, duvet…..

Still, she is a warm blob of fur and my son loves her…

Are you still drunk Andy? 😉

AndyRT
    Free Member

Man flu and a fat fingered typist (above now edited)

Sandwich

I forgot to add that there was also the abortive visit to Bristol for his nibs to do a shift. Which was cancelled with 14 hours to go.

spooky_b329

Summer purchase costing a fortune in vets bills, could have bought a nice mid range full sus at the current tot up. On the mend now and hopefully back in work in a few months but causing a fair amount of stress/worry for the wife! Didn’t bother insuring it as it costs about £1200 for a years cover once you add on the excess, but the last horse had no big vet bills over eight years so just keep reminding myself I’m still better off than if we had insured it!

Before mystery lameness 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Not on the same scale as above but.. I realised a while back that I could probably sell my 5frame and forks and buy an Inbred and rigid forks for no loss, and all the components would fit. That way I could do the Tour Divide on it. Hahahaa…

The Inbred is a bit leaden though according to the internets so maybe a Surley Karate Monkey. But the Ops verion is better, but what’s this? A Salsa El Mar on special offer in my size… It has a tapered fork fr future proofing.. That’ll be a new headset then, and a new front mech. New wheels obv and I think I’ll hold onto the old 26ers as spare race wheels. Then new bars and stem of course.. New mudguard.. So the project that ws originally conceived to cost about £50 has come in at about £400.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Anti-bargain / horrendous money-pit of 2014’ is closed to new replies.