• This topic has 17 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Anthem vrs Anthem sx (aka Rockshox vrs Fox)
  • mark90
    Free Member

I’m looking at getting a full sus bike for mincing about on so don’t a full on gnarpoon. A 650b Anthem is top of my list, but I would want the ‘sx’ spec of 120mm forks. Comparing two options…

2015 Anthem 27.5 SX
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/anthem.sx.27.5/19237/77334/#specifications

2015 Anthem 27.5 2
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/anthem.27.5.2/19235/77331/#specifications

Retail price of the sx is £100 more than the 2 and it comes with marginally better brakes, dropper post and Fox CTD suspension front and rear verses the Rockshox Monarch RL and Reba on the 2. Price consideration will come down to available deals but really wondering if that £100 at retail price covers the brakes and dropper, or if it’s also an upgrade in shocks.

The Reba would be upped from 100mm to 120mm by changing the air shaft so both options would have the same travel.

Ignoring the brakes (a non-issue) and a the dropper, would the Fox CTD or Rockshox set up be the better option, both from a reliability and performance pov?

I’m thinking the Fox CTD would be better performance, or at least more flexible with the options, but heard of a few issues with CTD and of course there is the legendary Fox servicing schedule.

rp16v
    Free Member

I actualy did the 2 route
    however u get better level tyres, xt cassette and xt rear mech i think on the sx
    my main reason is easy servicing on the rockshox
    iv extended the forks and single ringed the front
    handles everything well tbh

nre
    Free Member

I went for the ‘2’ and upped the travel to 120. Found there were more deals around on the ‘2’ vs the ‘SX’ and preferred the paint job too 🙂

Set mine up with 1×11 XT…

rickon
    Free Member

Interesting, so the 100mm fork is spaced down, so just need to remove the spacers for 120?

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Mine is older but i went for the better shock and sold the groupset/replaced with full xt. Cost about 250 to do but the ease of changing oil at home will pay that back.

mark90
    Free Member

Thanks. Some interesting feedback.

The fork travel isn’t reduced with spacers but the 100mm air shaft can be swapped out for a 120mm one. They are about £25.

Steve, which is the better shock and are the oil changes significantly easier on which one?

SilentSparky
    Free Member

I was after the SX also but Paul Cycles have the 2 for £1150 and I couldn’t find any offers on the SX.

I’ve brought the spacer to lift the forks to 120mm like others on here also.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Buy the SX, it comes set up, better imo rear shock and fork, tyres are better from the off and has a dropper post. How much would you spend extra changing fork travel, buying a dropper if u want one and putting decent rubber on?.

I am biased though….

iainc

I have a 15 SX, great bike and having had it for a year I’m not hankering after a change, which is a first !!

mark90
    Free Member

I have nearly pressed the button a couple of times on a 2 from Pauls over the last week or so. Just still undecided. I guess the good price (around 500 quid better than the best sx price I can find) would pay for a few upgrades, dropper, tyres, etc.

chakaping
    Free Member

Not been impressed with the Fox “performance” stuff I’ve owned in the past.

Plus the 2 is a clear winner in the looks stakes and the Monarch should be a great shock, going by the one I had on a Reign.

mark90
    Free Member

Just ordered a 2 from Pauls 😀

ransos
    Free Member

I much prefer the Reba on my Anthem to the Fox fork it replaced. 120mm seems about right to me – it was a bit twitchy at 100mm

mark90
    Free Member

That’s reassuring. I don’t want any recommendations for fox now.

grumpster
    Free Member

Pick up my anthem 2 on Friday!! Just felt the need to share that.

iainc

I prefer the 120mm Fox fork on my Anthem SX to the 120mm Reba solo air on my Soul….

mark90
    Free Member

Sod off 😉

iainc

😀

I do though !

🙂

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Anthem vrs Anthem sx (aka Rockshox vrs Fox)’ is closed to new replies.