Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Anthem Seat Post Problem
  • markymark1993
    Free Member

Hi, I have a weird, complicating but annoying problem with my seat post on mtb. The seat post i’m using is the standard Giant seatpost which I believe is 357mm in length. The post wont go down as far as I would like in fact the saddle wont even go near the clamp. At first I thought this could of been a problem with the frame but I have looked in the tube and I can see that the post will not go past the maestro mounts (rear shock on anthem). Their does not appear to be anything else stopping it from lowering further.

The frame needs roughly a 3rd of the post in the anthem for strength so Giant say. My problem is the seat post will go higher than what I need it but not low enough for when i’m riding downhill and things. I am worried that if i cut the seat post down then I cant have it high enough for when I’m riding uphills and things. I am wanting to purchase a Thomson post but need to figure this issue out.

Any one help me out and if you have had an anthem have you had the same problem?

Goldigger
    Free Member

Put a reverb on…
    I just put one on my 2009 anthem a few weeks ago.

Dropping the saddle and bombing it down hill gives me more confidence where sometimes I’d loose traction..

markymark1993
    Free Member

Yeah I had a look at them they have good reviews, Unemployed at the minute so quite a price tag but deffo on the tick list.

bartimaeus
    Free Member

I can’t say I ever tried to drop my post right down to the collar… but it would certainly drop ‘enough’. Now I have a 100mm drop Reverb and it’s a great bit of kit.

markymark1993
    Free Member

Yeah i really want one but currently saving to get my motorbike license and a new road bike which is a lot when you have to rely on savings lol. Yeah they look good how much do them things weigh, the only thing I]what would put me of one is the reliability issue, I have heard a lot that they malfunction quite a lot. Then again if these are anything like my Reba forks they should be bullet proof my forks certainly are!

markymark1993
    Free Member

Also if you have a normal seat post could you try and putting the seat psot right the weigh down just want to make sure that their is not a problem with my frame.

theotherjonv

For sure it won’t go past the maestro mounts, nothing you can do about that. How much seat post is left when pushed fully down? And how much seat post do you run when climbing? When in normal climbing mode, how much post is in the frame?

It’ll also depend on the frame size. My L has about 30cm from top of clamp to the maestro mounts, so with a std seat post I could drop to about 6cm of post showing. Add the top clamp and saddle, that’ll be maybe another 7cm, so you’d have 13cm from top of seat clamp to saddle.

I actually have a dropper on there, which at full drop gives me a saddle height 45cm above the maestro mounts, ie 15cm of seat post and saddle above the seatclamp, so very ballpark the same as with a manual dropped post. I’ve never had a problem at that height, and for most stuff I only tap it down a few cm, I only drop it fully for silly steep stuff.

So in the end – is it a problem it doesn’t drop fully?

theotherjonv

PS. Just looked at the original giant seat post that came with the bike, which I keep as spare. It has a min insertion mark on it at 10cm from the bottom, which isn’t 1/3 of the post but which goes quite a way below the seattube-toptube junction which is how I always used to judge minimum insertion depth. I can also see where the anodising has rubbed that I run it with 16.5cm in the seat tube. So I could in theory remove 6.5cm. I wouldn’t, I like safety margins and have mates who are lankier than me. But i could easily lose 3 or 4cm and still be plenty deep enough.

Read in isolation, my wife may dispute that last sentence 😉

markymark1993
    Free Member

Lmao “Read in isolation, my wife may dispute that last sentence”. Oh yeah I don’t know exactly how high I have it when climbing I just put it to what is comfortable for me. I will need to get back to you on that, Yeah It is an issue as I like my seat quite low to the saddle when in tricky and fast downhill sections. I guess the best bet is just to cut the the post down little by little to it suits me. What I can say Is when i’m climbing I don’t have the post near the highest point. Yeah I just did a rough estimate lol well one could say very rough lmao but yeah 10cm sounds about right.

markymark1993
    Free Member

I meant I like my saddle quite close to the clamp so its completely out the way when riding on tricky and fast sections.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Anthem Seat Post Problem’ is closed to new replies.