• This topic has 14 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Nobby.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Anthem 29er owners – wattle & daub?
  • Kryton57

So I attempted to race today, unfortunately the newly cut woodsy singletrack turned into wattle & daub and blocked the whole rear end inside the linkages. I was using a Ralph 2.25 (expecting dry conditions). Hence, DNF as my rear wouldn’t turn.

Is this normal in mud, or did I just ride “perfect storm” of anti Maestro conditions?

Wally

Ickworth House? I have owned a couple of older Anthems and 2.25 was a tight fit. I have seen proper organised guys have a set of Mud tyres on wheels ready to swop on. Never got this organised myself.

Kryton57

Yep, today. And no spares, duh. Now considering sticking 2 beavers on the oem wheels to take to the Bonty 24, or taking my 26 Ht with bontrager mud x just in case.

hooli

Quite a few anthem owners make a mudguard to stop the linkage area getting full of mud as it does seem to attract mud off the rear wheel. I have never heard it get so bad that the wheel wont turn though.

Wally

I will be at the Radical Bikes one next, I think spare wheels are the way to go.
    Lined up at Hadleigh Farm MSG and the announcer says ” We are dealing with the white van that is cruising the carpark, trying car doors” “Ready,1 min…. go!” Hence I am a bit wary of leaving spare bike in car. Wheels can be hidden.

Kryton57

Quite a few anthem owners make a mudguard to stop the linkage area getting full of mud as it does seem to attract mud off the rear wheel. I have never heard it get so bad that the wheel wont turn though.

I’d be grateful for any tips.

Wally, yes I’ll be at both as well. I’ve just ordered a new beaver. The oem giant wheels are 2kg though so hopefully I won’t need them.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Yeah,
    Common in thick mud.
    Did HONC a year or two ago on mine and had to use a stick to clear the mud.
    That was with a 2.1 Racing Ralph.
    Very rare it gets that bad though!
    Use a hardtail for racing and use the Anthem for longer events.
    Been pretty lucky with the weather lately!
    I must admit we have had some biblical storms in the last few weeks!
    Maybe a Beaver on the back mite be a good idea?
    Thanks,
    Max

benji
    Free Member

Have clogged mine, same size tyre, now take muds with me just in case I need them if I am racing that bike.

windyg
    Free Member

Had the same mud issues last year at Ickworth with my Anthem, washed 2.5kg off.
    Stuck to only using a HT for racing and a FS for longer/fun rides.
    Was a bit slippy though yesterday with a Ralph on the rear.

hooli

I’d be grateful for any tips.

Like I say above, not sure if it will help with mud so thick that the wheel wont turn but this keeps mud out of the linkage area.

http://forums.mtbr.com/giant/rear-triangle-pivot-mudguard-reign-anthem-246496.html

and

https://www.google.com/search?q=giant+anthem+rear+mudguard&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=653&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=qjSaVZeHK4K4UZ_ai5AF&ved=0CCgQsAQ

stumpy01

I used to get this on my old Stumpjumper FSR at Thetford – remember having to stop several times during an long race to use a stick to de-clog my rear triangle.

It was the combination of mud & leaf matter from the trees that made a very effective clag!

Had a similar thing at the 24/12 a few years ago when it was very, very muddy. First time with a MuckyNutz front mud guard and it basically clogged up so badly between the front tyre/mud guard/fork stanchions that the wheel wouldn’t turn. Took it off as I was concerned about damaging the fork stanchions.

adsh
    Free Member

I dnf’d at last years Erlestoke with a turner flux and 2.1. I ran out of sticks to poke the mud out. It would have taken proper muds, HT clearances and no front mudguard.

If it’s proper mud at Bontrager I’m not going. Lightweight but I do like to enjoy myself for a 500 mile return trip and associated costs.

crankrider
    Free Member

Was considering an Anthem 29 to replace the hardtail I have, wont bother now as it will see most of its use in winter.

Kryton57

I wouldn’t be so hasty, the Anthem is an excellent bike in all other respects and mine is been fine in all kinds of mud on established trails.

My problem was encountered on freshly mown single track with remaining grass, nettle stalks and other debris that had gone from dry in the morning to a clay like substances are a couple of rain showers. Its pretty unique. Its been fine in a wet Wales and in the winter bog in my local Woodsy (established) singletrack. If it had continued raining I would have been fine. Further examination of my tyre choice yesterday reveals only about 3mm clearance around the seatstay bridge and chain stays, so you can see the issue.

I’ll be going to a Rocket Ron (Smaller, better mud shedding) as my normal tyre of choice from now on until I can find a 2.1 Ralph for next summer rather than the 2.25 I have in there now. Possible also exaggerated by the wide rims I have on there.

I will from now on take my spare wheels mounted with 2.0 beavers should the practise lap reveal I need them.

Add all those circumstances up and et voila…

Nobby

YGT

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Anthem 29er owners – wattle & daub?’ is closed to new replies.