Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • (Another) Xbox 360 question – "getting online"
  • munkster
    Free Member

Got a Xbox this week…

Now, I brought my wireless modem router downstairs and plugged the Xbox in wired up and connected to Xbox Live yesterday to see how it all works but the router is needed upstairs because the PC has no wifi on it.

I obviously don't want to have to keep doing this so IS the official Xbox wifi adapter (I've seen it for £39 in one place) the cheapest/best way to get it online? Another alternative is to put router downstairs and wifi the PC but although I have built PCs in the past (ie. I know how to do it) don't want to risk invalidating its still-active guarantee by opening it up.

I notice there is a new adapter coming out next week (according to play.com) should I wait for that?

TIA for any info, as always.

uplink
    Free Member

Hard wire it back down to the XBox?

munkster
    Free Member

Hard wire it back down to the XBox?

Funnily enough I *do* have a 30m ethernet cable from when I first got my PS2 online back in the day but SWMBO would certainly baulk at having a cable running all the way from the front bedroom to the lounge!!

uplink
    Free Member

Do it properly

munkster
    Free Member

That is my intention. I will edit my original post if I am still able to include the caveat that I don't want to be drilling or lifting carpets…

[edit]16 mins, too late. Thanks anyway.[/edit]

Drac

You don't need to there is ways of using other wifi adapters but if you can get the official one for £39 then take the plunge. I'd not bother with cable connection if it such a hassle to do for little benefit.

vinnyeh

Powerline, something like these http://www.ebuyer.com/product/150599. Networking through the mains. Plug into a socket by the router and connect the ethernet cable between router and powerline. Do the same by the xbox. easy peasy.
    More reliable than wifi, and faster. Might even be able to stream HD video from PC to TV.

munkster
    Free Member

Cor vinnyeh, that truly does sound like electrickery… It's not April 1st though is it?? I don't have to install it with a left-handed screwdriver or anything?! 😯

I will look into that, I like the sound of it!!

uplink
    Free Member

Ah – I thought you wanted cheap?

Anyway another Homeplug starter kit here
    http://maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=98007&DOY=21m11

thejesmonddingo

You can wi-fi the PC with a dongle that fits in a usb slot,no need to open the case.The Router manufacturer probably does a specific one,but any generic will do,then wire in the X-box.The dongle should only be about £10-12,like this one. http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=31904&category_id=865&manufacturer_id=0&tid=ew-7711utn
    Ian
    P.S. I know this works,cos that's how I networked the 2 PCs and Xbox,when son had one.

munkster
    Free Member

Cheers uplink, just been scouring the intertron and seems like the powerline stuff, while interesting, will be significantly dearer than the 39 quid adapter when all's told… May come back to that in a future life.

May be moving in the next year too, hence further reluctance to drill and make permanent any fittings.

munkster
    Free Member

That thought has crossed my mind Ian – I used to have one though and found it to be tempramental at best. Do they actually work??

thejesmonddingo

I've had one fail on me about 3 years ago,but no probs since.I've got an old one lying about you can have for nowt,as I upgraded from g to n recently,email me on iscarfe at lineone dot net if you want it.

munkster
    Free Member

You are a scholar and a gent sir.

I may do that, however I may equally get very impatient today and go and buy one and see if it works… 😳

Will let you know.

thejesmonddingo

No probs.
    Ian

munkster
    Free Member

You know I said I may get impatient? Well in the 49 mins since I posted that I've been to PC World, bought a £17 Belkin adapter and (so far anyway!!) it is working great on the PC so can plug the XBox in downstairs… Thanks all for suggestions.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘(Another) Xbox 360 question – "getting online"’ is closed to new replies.