Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Another wiring question…replacing wall lights help
  • glasgowdan
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of wall lights to replace but can’t figure out what to do, can anyone help? The only electrical component the new light has is the bulb holder, so how do I wire the main wires into this? Can anyone help? Below are photos of 1, wiring before I removed old lights. 2, wiring at wall, 3, bulb holder (no screws on this so I don’t know how to fit the wires!).

Thanks

wwaswas

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Thanks, I was sitting here trying to figure that one out 🙂 Surely the new light should have wires and a terminal block?

I assume you literally just push the red/brown wire into one of the two round holes at the positive (the piece in the centre of the bulb) and the black/blue pushes into one of the circles on the other side?

rwamartin
    Free Member

That’s pretty much it. Ensure that the wires are stripped back far enough to make full contact but not so far as to be exposed beyond the terminals. Push in then pull firmly to check they are secure. The polarity probably isn’t important but check to see if there are any polarity markings on the holder. I’m almost certain the holes closest to each other are the same connection but if you are in any doubt check with a multimeter (there may even be instructions with the light to confirm it).

Rich.

Edit:
    The yellow/green earth is probably not needed (there’s no terminal for it on the holder). Check that it is a class 2 fitting (double insulated) by looking for the double insulation symbol which is a box within a box. Carefully insulate the yellow/green and tuck it out the way. Don’t cut it off as if you ever change the fitting for a class 1 item (ie it requires an earth) you’ll kick yourself for doing so!

Gary_M
    Free Member

Carefully insulate the yellow/green and tuck it out the way

Just leave it attached to the terminal block

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Cheers, it was just the pushing it into the contacts bit that I wasn’t sure about! 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Another wiring question…replacing wall lights help’ is closed to new replies.