Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Another "which bike" question…
  • markgraylish
    Free Member

So I haven't really been paying that much attention to new bikes recently so am I bit rusty on what's currently available.

I'm looking for a 5" FS with slack'ish head angle (~68 or 69?) and full length seat tube, preferably at/below 30lb and a good climber.

I've got the Stumpjumper & Trek Fuel EX on my list to test ride. Any other suggestions?

And before anyone offers their used bike for sale to me, I live in Vancouver BC so you'll need to drop it off personally! 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

I was about to post Orange 5 but I don't think they sell them there 🙂 What's the equivalent Cannondale? Prophet? Meant to be as good.

markgraylish
    Free Member

Good call Molgrips – the Prophet is worth adding to the list though the standover height looks too high, but it also has two shock settings from slack to very slack.

I think you can get Orange's over here but the cost will be out my budget!

Any more ideas?

mr_mills
    Free Member

Banshee / Mythic Spitfire 🙂

vondally
    Free Member

maverick ml8 best climbing bike i have owned easily under 30lbs 6 inches travel but not full length seat tube

Turner 5 spot……owned the HL and intrest in the DW

Knolly endomorfin…………been on my list forever not got one yet but 30 lbs might be pricey

IanMmmm
    Free Member

You live in Vancouver, how about a Transition Covert?

You can pop down to Bellingham in Washington state to pick it up from the factory shop.

markgraylish
    Free Member

Some nice suggestions though I'm sure most are out of my budget. The Spitfire looks interesting but the head angle is really slack so I'd want to test ride that up some steep switchbacks to see how it handled.
    I've been interested in the Knolly Endorphin (the yet-to-be-released 'SL' version) which would seriously blow my budget.

Sorry but I don't like the look of the Maverick.

Thanks for the input…

mk1fan
    Free Member

Cove Hustler?

duir
    Free Member

The Spitfire looks interesting but the head angle is really slack so I'd want to test ride that up some steep switchbacks to see how it handled.

Not only does the Spitfire descend like a mini DH bike but suprisingly it climbs like a homesick angel. I find the size large long low geometry really helps stability both up and down. The linkage is so efficient and the frame so stiff that it really is a great ascender. I live and ride in northern Scotland and it's all super steep/tech mountains here and no worries. The only issue can be the low bottom bracket in the "aggressive trail" setting on very tech rocky climbs but you can use pro pedal or even the regular trail setting for the shock. I can't say the low BB is an issue for me and I just ride careful lines on climbs but just wait till you hit those descents…..happy days. Sub-30lbs may be possible if you want a med/small frame and light components. My large is around 33lbs but that's a tough build with gravity dropper, DH tyres/bars and coil forks. With dual air revelations, regular seatpost and lighter bars/tyres etc I believe 30lbs is do-able in large.

loddrik
    Free Member

Penny farthing…

gcaster
    Free Member

Commencal Meta 55. Got an extra half inch but I can't rate mine higher.

backhander
    Free Member

I have a Knolly endorphin and I love it.
    30lbs but with 140mm forks, I understand it likes 160mm so am considering an upgrade.

I've come off an intense and this is far more positive uphill and a riot down. BC (mostly but a bit in the US) made.

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

If you want a steeper 5" travel bike, you can't go wrong with an Intense 5.5. But Iguess the budget's going to kill that one off.
    The prophet is probably the best option and at 69 in the xc setting isn't too slack. Crank up the negative air spring on the dual air Pike fitted, and you'll get it to 70 degrees if you prefer a bike that steep.
    Or go for the 120mm Rush. it sounds like it'll fit your riding style far better and it's a very stable descending bike for something that's so quick and nimble on the climbs.
    The Scott genius might be worth a look too if you don't mind changing bearings every year.

MrFarrellsSodasuite
    Free Member

I know this is probably a bit late, but here goes….

Mark, I also live in Vancouver, and have a Santa Cruz Heckler (mk2, not the new curvy frame) for sale. Size large, raw finish, float r shock etc. Can sell either on it's own for a good price or full build with Pikes, hope hoops etc. Email me if you are interested.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Another "which bike" question…’ is closed to new replies.