Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Another What Wifi Router / Modem Post
  • Freester

OK. Recently I moved to BT ADSL. Got the HomeHub 4 to replace my old TP-Link 2.4Ghz Wifi Router / ADSL modem.

The Home Hub was fine except my NAS drive kept disappearing (NAS plugged via Ethernet cable straight into the router). I have Sonos and a lot of music ripped on to the NAS so this was quite problematic when I tried to play music. Reboot of the Home Hub / NAS drive usually sorted it.

Eventually I swapped the Home Hub back for the TP-Link router / modem. All is well with the NAS drive now but I think I’m missing out on the dual band of the home hub…

So I am looking to get a dual band router. But to add to the confusion I am expecting FTTC to be available where I live any time soon (the cabinet has been upgraded and OpenReach have told local parish and county council it will be ready soon) and so I want to future proof myself with any purchase.

I guess I could buy a Dual Band router with ADSL and VDSL modem. There must be other options with standalone modems, running the old router or home hub in a bridge mode and just plugging in a Wifi Router that doesn’t have a modem.

What do people reckon is the best way forward to get a dual band wifi at home and be ready for VDSL when it arrives?

Cougar

I reckon my first port of call would be to get on to BT to get them to send you a working router.

Cougar

Actually, that would be second, first would be to ensure it’s running on the latest firmware.

rossburton
    Free Member

https://amplifi.com is the high-end consumer wifi stuff by Ubiquiti (that you’ll start noticing in businesses where the wifi actually works when you know what to look for). I have one of their old business wifi APs for wifi, a Edgerouter X for routing, and a 20 quid D-Link ADSL model. Slightly more complex to set up but it’s been rock solid since.

The amplifi is consumer-focused so the router/wifi AP is combined and pretty, with a phone app to administer it. Not cheap, but you can just plugin in any old modem, it’s expandable to mesh networking if your house is large, and it’s been getting awesome reviews.

Cougar

A quick Google would suggest something like this would work.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Connections-UK-Archer-VR600/dp/B01DAZPDXK

The budget option I suppose would be to disable the Wi-Fi on your existing router and plug in a wireless access point. Personally I’m not a fan of having separate devices for a home installation, too many plugs and cables, but it’s an option.

Cougar

That looks pretty smart, I’d not come across it before. You’d still need a separate VDSL modem, but you’ve already got one of those.

beamers

Recently I moved to BT

There’s your problem.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Another What Wifi Router / Modem Post’ is closed to new replies.