Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Another 'What could be making this cracking noise?' thread
  • DickBarton

Bike has on last 2 rides started making a sort of cracking noise when pressure is applied to the pedals – totally silent when pedals turning with no pressure on them, but put some pressure (power!) in them and there is a cracking noise from the rear end. Nothing feels loose or wobbly, what should be tight appears to be – I’ve still to do a proper check on rear Maxle (although that isn’t moving without proper attempts at turning it) and the frame bolts – everything else has been poked and prodded unscientifically. Mate confirmed tonight it is coming from the rear wheel.

Will clean bike tomorrow and have a look but what should I be extra checking? Bike is 15 months old running full SRAM X1 and Guide RS brakes. Thought it could be a cable pinging off a spoke but only happens when power is applied to pedals.

I’m aware this is a proverbial needle in haystack question but what would you be checking and how?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Freehub pawls and all wheel bearings.

Bottom bracket cups.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’ve had this for ages on the HT. Took the BB out the other day & greased everything, (including taking all the spacers off, cleaning & re-greasing in between) & tightening it up to the point of stripping the threads (ok, not quite)

Silence!

gaelym
    Free Member

Check the bearings in your hub. I had the same thing, it went on for weeks and the noise was driving me crazy. I checked pedals, cranks, bottom bracket, seat post even the headset. I was heading out for a ride one day the rear wheel just seized, turns out the bearings needed replaced.

DickBarton

Thanks…hopefully not bearings as they were done just 4 months ago…will check, ta.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Just had this on two of my bikes

One was lateral play in some wellgo pedals, though bearings were fine.

Another was seat post movement. Just not clamped up enough at collar.

I’ve also had dropouts that needed tightening and loose full suspect pivots before.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Another 'What could be making this cracking noise?' thread’ is closed to new replies.