Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Another Van Halen thread, Help me choose an Album
  • footflaps

So many good ones to choose from, the 1st album or maybe 1984?

IHN

Anything with David Lee Roth.

Specifically, 1984.

LS
    Free Member

All the DLR albums (minus the one from last year) are available in a boxed set for about £14.
    Do it! 😀

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

What LS said

bikebouy
    Free Member

Women and Children First
    Fair Warning (although hated by some)
    Van Halen (1)
    F.U.C.K (thats it’s real album name)
    Diver Down

Most of DLR is whopping, some of the fat bloke is absolutely fine in places and he does/has brought out a heavier side to VH.

Totally avoid anything with that sodding Chianene bloke in, utter tosh.

woody2000

I might be in the minority, but I liked VH with Sammy Hagar (as well as DLR)

5150 is a good album IMO.

LS
    Free Member

I might be in the minority

I don’t think there’ll be much doubt about that 🙂
    SH is a good singer, technically far better than DLR by any measure, he just doesn’t have an ounce of charisma in comparison. And the songs went rapidly downhill once he came in. Plus, nowadays he’s just a gobby muppet.

All of the DLR-era albums are classics, and obviously the first one is just jaw-dropping. To be fair to SH he didn’t really have a chance of living up to that.

Bit like Brian Johnson really (although that’s another debate entirely!)

murf
    Free Member

I think I’m getting old as I’m starting to prefer Hagar era music as well.
    That said, my favourites are 1984 and 5150. “Summer nights” from 5150 never fails to make my toes tap!

woody2000

🙂

I think VH are at least partly responsible for my tinittus, saw them twice in the space of a couple of days on the “Right Here, Right Now” tour 1993 (NEC and Sheffield) and they were awesome(ly loud!)

brassneck

That first album – listen to the guitar, then double check the date .. 1977!!! Outrageous.
    Must have been like hearing Jimi in the late 60s.

DezB
    Free Member

Mercedes Vito.
    Oh…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yo talkin Vito Barretta from White Lion??

bikebouy
    Free Member

ARe you iTunes’ing it or buying a CD, there is on iTunes a “very best of..” which has some great tracks on it (36 in fact) and an equal mix of DLR and the fat bloke.. 😀

footflaps

I do like OU812 and 5150.

I think they’re early stuff is some of the best though, Running with the Devil and Dance the night away etc…

bigblackshed

Van Halen 1, Women and Children First & 1984.

Fair Warning is a bit marmite. Diver Down is half covers. The beginning of the end for DLR. 1984 shows the split that’s about to come as plain as day. Still a great album though.

5150 IS Van Hagar. Different beast. It’s like comparing AC/DC, Scott / Johnson. Very different bands. OU812 has some great tracks and some filler. F.U.C.K. is Van Hagar’s best by a country mile.

If you like the Van Hagar stuff then try Chickenfoot. Hagar, Satriani, Mike Anthony (Van Halen) & Chad Smith (Red Hot Chilli Peppers). It’s what Van Hagar could have been if EVH hadn’t blown his brains out with meth.

The circus clowns that are now touring as Van Halen should be put out of it’s misery with a shotgun.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Not the slightest idea, I don’t listen to contrived rubbish. I HAVE noticed however, that on my new Roku unit you can get “Radio Dave” for free.

Haven’t bothered listening to it, mind.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Another Van Halen thread, Help me choose an Album’ is closed to new replies.