Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Another tyre question (sorry)…2.3 front, what on the back?
  • kennyp
    Free Member

After asking about and spending half of tonight reading reviews I’ve pretty much settled on either Conti Baron 2.3s or High Roller 2.35s up front, what what would you recommend for the rear?

It’s for a Santa Cruz Butcher and is to be used all winter in Scotland, both in trail centres and natural stuff. Needs to cope with wet and mud and rocks etc. I’m not particularly fast or aggressive, reassuringly grippy is what I’m after. And I’m rubbish at changing tyres, so easy to remove/fit is vital too.

Oh, and while I’m here, I keep seeing Maxxis High Rollers described as DH tyres on websites. Is that really the case? I thought the 2.35s were fine for XC? And are the 2 ply much harder to fit than 1 ply?

Questions, questions, questions!

kiwifiz
    Free Member

You’ve overlooked a good grippy and much praised alternative for the front, the 2.35 single ply Maxxis Minion DH front in 60A for longer wearing/faster rolling or super tacky for better grip/slower rolling. The classic combo is either the same 60A out back or high roller out back. Baron and rubber queen in black chilli compound seems to be the new classic combo in the making but I can’t comment as haven’t tried them. 2 ply HR is weighty overkill for XC. Dabbled with HR on front but have gone back to the minion DH front….it’s a hard front tyre to beat!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

pair of 2.35 single ply 60a Minions

HR’s are good but hate then in the wet, also the minions roll a little better.

Only go Dual Ply if your harsh on your back end (snigger) as it’s a big weight increase.

Also I find that using a round profile and a square profile tyre (minion & HR) feels wrong, one wheel is still round when you it the edge on the HR – not an issue with paired HR’s as the same happens both ends.

Playing with a HRII which seems like a HR minion cross but still v dry here

Northwind

If you’re doing a lot of proper nasty mud then the Baron’s kinda phenomenal, only a dh spike is better tbh. But otherwise I wouldn’t.

As for a rear… Less demanding in all honesty, Maxxis Ardent is a good one- reasonably quick, reasonably grippy, clears mud better than most- though it won’t shovel you forward as a mud tyre can.

Highroller and Minion are often seen as DH tyres but they’re still good for hard trail use. The dualply is heavy though, and a wee bit more dead feeling, IMO something to avoid unless you need it.

kennyp
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies guys. Gives me plenty to think about.

What do things like 60a and 42a refer to?

richmtb

The smaller te number the softer the rubber.

Softer rubber give more grip but is slower rolling and gennerally wears faster

60a is pretty standard for the rear

TuckerUK
    Free Member

For reference, 70a is ‘standard’ (i.e. unmarked) tyre compound.

takisawa2

Intresting thread this. I’ve a 2.4 Racing Ralph EVO to go on my rigid 29er hardtail. What would make a good tyre to go on with it ? And is it best back or front. ? I’d thought the front given its nice big profile, but wondering if a more “directional” tyre might be better.
    Cannock Chase & bridleways my usual trails, tend to avoid muddy stuff.

steve73
    Free Member

i run a baron black chili up front and currently a mud x out back and i have found it to be a good combination so far. I have been very impressed with how much extra grip the baron gives me

FuzzyWuzzy

Hans Dampf front if it’s not claggy mud you ride in (or smooth hardpack), rear I vary more according to what I’m riding. A crossmark or advantage generally but putting a Hans Dampf pacestar on it now ready for a holiday…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Another tyre question (sorry)…2.3 front, what on the back?’ is closed to new replies.