Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • another tyre question…
  • donsimon
    Free Member

Information please.

I am running with Schwalbe Skinny Jimmy lights at the moment and love them. They are fast rolling, nice and light and attract snakebites like nobodies business!! And that is the problem. Just about everyride is jinxed with a pinch flat, I guess to the thin side walls.

So, it is time to look around for something new.

The solution is probably going to be tubeless. I have had a look on the Schwalbe website and seen the Rocket Ron and Racing Ralph in tubeless form, also there is the Skinny Jimmy in tubeless form.

Do these have any greater resistance to pinch flats? How much heavier that 550g Skinny Jimmy, that I currently have, are they?

Current tyres are pumped to about 45psi with lightweight inners. I'm looking for a fast, light racing tyre. Mud clearance isn't an issue as we don't get any. 😀 Pinch pincture resistance, however, is important.

Ideas???

Cheers.

tragically1969
    Free Member

But you cant run tubeless tyres with non tubeless rims can you ?

What wheels you got ?

oldgit
    Free Member

Were have you been getting your Skinny Jimmys? They are/were a great tyre, even in the mud although you don't have any.
    What about normal Jimmys? or are they the cheap and heavy version only.
    I suppose Racing Ralphs are the best bet, and I believe they're a bit knoblier now.

donsimon
    Free Member

tragically1969- they're compatible with tubeless. Mavic crosstrail which were running Python tubeless before, maybe they'll have to go back on for the short term. 🙁

oldgit- I got the first set from a shop in Madrid, LTMRacing and the second set from one of the German interweb shops. I agree they are/were awesome. I liked the way a new set gripped in the sand, you could carry your speed through corners with full confidence… 😆

Do you know the weight of the Racing Ralphs?

just back from a quick blast, coming down the final descent, nice and fast. When I got to the steep bit, guess what? Front end all over the place…….. Another fuggin' flat. 🙁

njee20
    Free Member

Schwalbe UST tyres are heavy, the non-UST ones aren't so heavy and seal well tubeless, I'd be inclined to try it with your Jimmy's first, but if they're old they may be a big baggy. You'll also want to put a turn of insulating tape across your rim so the tyre doesn't retreat into the well.

Rocket Rons are excellent tyres, but are a thinner carcass than the Ralph (in non-UST anyway), so no good if you live somewhere rocky. Ralphs are an excellent tyre, and are my standard choice in rocky areas, saying that some people still find them fragile, which takes you back to UST Ralphs, but then they're not that light. You pays your money and all that…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘another tyre question…’ is closed to new replies.