Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Another Tubeless Thread
  • stevious

Ok, so here’s the thing – I want new tyres for my stumpy.

Have read in a few places that tubeless tyres are the best thing to happen to MTB since disc brakes but as far as I can tell the advantages don’t seem that great on paper. I mean, having to fix the occasional puncture isn’t that bad, is it? Does being able to run lower pressures make that huge a difference?

I’m asking because it seems like a fair but more cash and a lot more faff to set up, but if it really is going to make riding more enjoyable in some tangible way I could be willing to give it a try.

So are the advantages THAT great?

DezB
    Free Member

You know, the ride is a bit noticeable. But the lack of punctures is a massive sway in it’s favour to me.
    However, the biggest negative is when you come to change tyres. Its a pain. Gunk to get rid of, new tyres to seat (sometimes piss easy, sometimes damn hard).
    If you like to change tyres regularly, don’t do it.
    However, if punctures are a PItA to you, do.

Underhill
    Free Member

I’d sell it on the lower pressure/better grip angle. Makes a noticeable difference on my bike and increases my confidence.

Pulling tyres on & off was never really a big bother to me but knowing the front isn’t going to slide out over those wet roots is money in the bank to me.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’ve been arsing about with tubless since early 2003. Despite the initial faff, I’d not go back to tubes. A summer with 18 punctures saw to that.

I’ve had 5 punctures and a couple of ‘blow offs’ since then, and the blow offs are really down to experimentation with what I can get away with. Tubed tyres feel kind of wooden to me these days.

They do roll a little better. They do grip a little better and they do virtually eliminate punctures, if the methodology and equipment setup is robust enough.

The flip side is the learning curve and faff factor can be too much for some and when you do get total flattage out on the trail its a bit more of a palaver to sort.

stevious

So are punctures and burps etc a rare occurrence?

I don’t seem to get that many punctures on the trail. Maybe 2-3 a year.

Guess I would get more if I ran lower pressures though…

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Like I said, it depends on the system and method employed.

You have to ask yourself why you want to go tubeless. Sounds like you’re a sceptic, in which case maybe its not for you.

Why would lower pressures increase punctures? It doesn’t make the rubber any harder.

stumpy01

I converted my wheels to tubeless to avoid the dreaded thorn punctures over in Spain.

What Stumpjumper do you have? I’ve got a 2010 fsr that came with 2bliss ready tyres. They were really easy to convert – just whacked some electrical tape round the rim, stuck some valve cores in and they went up really easily. Once I was happy that I didn’t have any major problems I stuck Stans sealant in & that was that.
    Had two burping incidents that had me off the bike, but that was early on.

They do seem to grip well but not sure if that’s the tubeless aspect or just the tyres. I probably wouldn’t have bothered if it hadn’t been for the thorns punctures when in Spain.

cabbage84
    Free Member

Lower pressures cause more pinch flats because the tube gets between the rim and tyre more easily.
    I changed to a tubeless setup in the summer and I now wouldnt go back to tubes. Yes initially it had me tearing my hair out trying to get them inflated but once you get the technique right its a doddle. Its the lower pressures that really swing it though your tyres just feel like they are sticking to the trail and gives you the little extra confidence to push yourself that bit faster.

Garry_Lager

I’ve used UST for years – wouldn’t go back. It’s all about being puncture free for me – I’m not that arsed about running low pressures and the other claimed performance advantages. If you’re got the magic touch where you’re not getting any flats with tubes then I wouldn’t particularly recommend tubeless. Must say that 2 or 3 flats per year sounds like someone who doesn’t get out much, but if that’s all you’re getting then fair enough.

UST on a mavic rim is zero faff btw. Flawless. All the nonsense with compressors, rim strips, heart attacks trying to seat the tyre etc is all down to our friend Stan. Although I believe things have gotten a lot better now with the Stans range of rims.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

but if it really is going to make riding more enjoyable in some tangible way I could be willing to give it a try

There are two sides to this – One is standing around smugly while all your non-tubeless mates fix (what seems like) interminable punctures.

The other is standing around getting bored/cold while all your non-tubeless mates fix (what seems like) interminable punctures.

🙂

IME, stans rims with yellow tape and a tubeless ready or UST tyre are just as good as Mavic UST, but lighter. Thats a pricey way to do it though…

Yes – thanks cabbage – I was only thinking about thorn type punctures.

M6TTF
    Free Member

I was getting a pinch flat most rides despite running 40psi so it was a no brainer. Touch wood, not a single puncture in almost 2 years

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Another Tubeless Thread’ is closed to new replies.