Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Another terrible example of the worth of life
  • gravitysucks
    Free Member
    druidh
    Free Member

It might have been a stronger sentence if Rob had been a pedestrian

http://www.scotsman.com/news/scottish-news/edinburgh-east-fife/drunk_hit_and_run_driver_jailed_1_2054863

Woody
    Free Member

That is awful. Bad enough losing a loved one without the perpetrator getting off with not much more than a slapped wrist.

“A month before this incident Mr Cahill had received a fixed penalty fine and 3 points on his licence for doing 67mph in a 50mph zone. This was only 4 months after he had passed his test. The warning signs were there that this young, inexperienced driver was perhaps over confident and content to disregard the rules of the road, his own safety and that of other road users.

Should be an automatic disqualification until a compulsory re-test has been taken for any offence like speeding within the first 2 years of driving.

Klunk
    Free Member

i guess we can live in hope that his next insurance quote is so huge he’ll never be able to afford to drive again.

BenjiM

I think in the pedestrian case the sentencing may have had something to do with the DUI and the fleeing the scene of an accident as well as causing the death.

coffeeking
    Free Member

i guess we can live in hope that his next insurance quote is so huge he’ll never be able to afford to drive again.

It probably will be, but then he’ll just not pay insurance and drive without in a dangerous banger worth nothing so he has little to lose.

Woody
    Free Member

He probably won’t bother insuring in that case.

Plenty cases of people who just don’t bother getting insurance. Not much of a deterrent when the fines/penalties are usually less than the premiums!

Northwind

Convicted for death by careless driving, rather than death by dangerous… A lower offence so a fairly low sentence. Course, there’s various reasons they would go for the lower offence, not all of them neccesarily relating to what actually happened…

Klunk
    Free Member

It probably will be, but then he’ll just not pay insurance and drive without in a dangerous banger worth nothing so he has little to lose.

tis true but he’ll be known to local plod now though, and another conviction would probably mean doing time.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

It really does my head in.

How on earth are drivers suppose to respect cyclists and be encouraged to be more aware of them if this is the knid of example the courts make.

Careless driving is a bit of washout in my opinion. Cars are dangerous & they should be respected as such by the driver.

I just really feel for his family. I can’t imagine what they’ve gone through and then to hear that this is the approriate punishment for taking their loved one away must really cut deep.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Does anyone know if the ban is from the date of conviction of date of the offence?
    If its the offence then he could be back behind a wheel in 10 months, that is scarey.

rob1984p
    Free Member

I’m not in favour of making examples of people but a non custodial sentence seems ridiculous.

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t think you can equate a shorter sentence with more careless driving. The vast majority of people would be thinking of someone else’s safety rather than a gaol sentence IF THEY WERE THINKING OF ANYTHING AT ALL.

Really silly to assume that people think ‘shall I mow this cyclist down? Yeah why not, 18 months isn’t so bad’

If people don’t take enough care to avoid killing people, they won’t take enough care to avoid any amout of time. Let’s face it – who here has never ever been careless for a second behind the wheel? I consider myself a decent driver and I could list incidents in the past where I scared myself by being careless.

I would go for a lifetime driving ban though.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

It’s not about setting an example is about taking responsibility for your actions. If there’s no real punishment for careless driving then want incentive do drivers have for paying attention and give driving the respect it deserves?
    Unless your away with the fairies (in which case you shouldn’t be driving) then what other excuses are there for careless driving?
    Doing your make up, texting, buggering about in your glovebox, messing with the stereo? All these seem acceptable to alot of drivers on the road and half the reason why people don’t properley pay attention.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s not about setting an example is about taking responsibility for your actions.

Most people would feel pretty responsible if they killed someone whilst not concentrating, I reckon. Perhaps that was taken into account with the sentencing?

Do you honestly think the typical motorist would not care if they killed someone?

M6TTF
    Free Member

That sentence is disgraceful

project
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-16552730

A lorry driver was jailed yesterday for wandering onto the hard shoulder and killing two peiople changing a tyre on their van.

HE GOT 6 YEARS, AND A LONG BAN,

Dibbs
    Free Member

Doing your make up, texting, buggering about in your glovebox, messing with the stereo? All these seem acceptable to alot of drivers on the road and half the reason why people don’t properley pay attention.

You forgot lighting a fag and using a mobile. 👿

tonyg2003

Very sad. Rob was a good guy. I remember having the slowest ever hill climb race with him at the end of a Catford Wheelers reliability trial, going up Star hill, we were both on our knees.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Another terrible example of the worth of life’ is closed to new replies.