Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Another survey, sorry…
  • scotroutes

For a bit of background, Loch Lomond Park Authority want to introduce some bye-laws aimed at stopping the worst impacts of so-called “wild camping”. IMO, what they are actually doing is setting a precedent whereby large swathes of Scotland will (mostly at the behest of large-scale land owners) be marked as out of bounds for wild camping of the sort practised by generations of hillwalkers and bikepackers.

I appreciate that there are issues caused by (mainly) car-based campers who having been chopping down live trees, building fires in the wrong place, tearing up the land and shitting all over the place. However, the Land Reform (Scotland) Act already includes a definition of “responsible” camping and what we therefore need is a police force able and willing to chase these folk off the land. Perhaps an amendment to the LR(S)A to prohibit camping within 1km of a classified road would be a better option.

Please take a moment to consider this short survey and respond as you see fit.

Thanks

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/YourPark-YoungPeople

vmgscot

Done and thanks for pointer

munrobiker
    Free Member

Done- I’d agree that policing is going to be more effective. Even if they do set up managed areas the problem people will carry on much as they were- they are, after all, breaking the law. They probably won’t care if they break the law in a managed area which has been set up to stop them breaking the laws already in place.

I also resent the idea that young people are the issue here, as someone who’s 26 and wild camped in the area a few times. It’s more people that aren’t au fait with outdoor activities.

towzer

I was more upset that ‘old’ peoples views weren’t relevant:

We want to hear the views of young people and understand more about what you think about the issues we are facing in the National Park, and how we are planning to solve them. Please read the summary document, which you can find here…

geoffj

Done

It’s more people that aren’t au fait with outdoor activities.

We have to be careful that we don’t come across a bit haired shirt about this. Your ideas about what constitute valid outdoor activities may not be the same as others although both views may be valid.

As a seasonal pitch holder for a caravan on the shore of Loch Morlich, I see quite a bit of this. Up there, 90% of the folk cause no problems and clear up after themselves – yes, even the groups of lads who like to camp on the sand drinking cans and talking into the night. There is nothing inherently wrong with what they do, and they shouldn’t be penalised because of a relatively small number of miscreants.

An associated issue is the cost of using the available sites. Glenmore is FC, therefore tax payer owned and still charges a bloody fortune to use the facilities. Perhaps we need to look at a more French type municipal model.

In all the time I’ve spent at Glenmore, I’ve only really come across one incident of wild camping that was obviously irresponsible. That involved a wedding marquee set up in the trees with around a 100 guests and dodgy covers of 80s soft rock being belted out into the small hours. The lucky couple were the wrong side of 50, and really should have know better 😆

richmtb

I think these byelaws go to far.

East Loch Lomond was a specific issue. Essentially it was arsehole neds full of drink and drugs ruining it for everyone else.

The new byelays cover most of the loch sides in the Trossachs.

Its perfectly possible for people who “car camp” to do it in a responsible way. I’ve done it. I’ve also done the hiking for a day and camping in the middle of nowhere. Both are good. I don’t see why one should be restricted because of a minority of twunts ruining it for everyone else

munrobiker
    Free Member

Geoff- I struggled with the right way to put what I meant. I don’t particularly support an “us and them” standpoint between “real” outdoor enthusiasts and have-a-go types. Being in mountains is good, even if you don’t go up them. I’ve not conveyed that viewpoint in the survey, though I have said that providing areas for less experienced campers to camp for free without restricting wild camping wouldn’t be a half bad idea.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Another survey, sorry…’ is closed to new replies.