Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Another stove question :-)
  • mactheknife

We will be building a log cabin / shed / home office type building over the weekend out the back, its 3.5m x 3.5m so not massive but the good lady will be spending a lot of time out there working hopefully :D.

I would like to fit a small wood burner in it sometime over the weekend but my experience is zilch.

Any recommendations and pointers for backing board ideas, regulations etc or just any info would be gratefully received.

brickwizard
    Free Member

Twin wall insulated flue pipe from exiting the stove right up through, pay attention to keeping your clearances from combustuble and you shouldn’t go wrong. At the back of the stove you can line the walls with fire line board or something similar. Make a concrete base for stove to sit on keeping it minimum 225mm projection from front of stove or 300mm if stove is designed to be used with doors open and minimum of 150mm past each side of stove.
    Hope this helps

soops
    Free Member

And don’t forget 4.5m minimum chimney length.

timmer
    Free Member

If you want to pay attention to building regs, then the wall next to a hearth, assuming appliance is more than 50mm away but not more than 200mm away, should be a minimum of 75mm thick solid non combustible material, such as dense concrete block.
    This is not a sheet of 9mm supalux or similar!
    Pay attention to the appliance instructions, read the required clearances to combustibles, afterall, the structure you are building is combustible!
    Regarding the hearth, if the appliance requires a constructional hearth (read the instructions) then that is a 125mm thick concrete slab with sizes of 840 x 840mm. Decorative hearth dims are as post above.
    Use twin wall insulated pipe direct to appliance, assuming chimney can be swept through appliance.
    I hope this helps.

mactheknife

Awsome, thanks for taking the time to type that info. 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Another stove question :-)’ is closed to new replies.