Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Another Soul Question
  • drapper
    Free Member

Considering a Cotic Soul, what size frame are 5ft 8 riders using? 31 inch leg and like shortish stem 70mm ish.

Scamper
    Free Member

I’m 5ft 8 and recently settled for a Small frame and 75mm stem, after riding Medium frames. Saddle feels slightly high compared to the rest of the bike to get ideal leg position for xc and a 410 post is a must. Can always drop it for techy stuff if its a problem. Its all good though.

imnotverygood

Same height, same size…^

drapper
    Free Member

thanks chaps! are you both running inline seatpost? or with setback?

Scamper
    Free Member

Inline thomson.

mattjg
    Free Member

5’8″, 32″ leg, small Soul with a 90mm stem, I reckon I couldn’t get away with a smaller stem tho I’ll try it one day if I can blag one

it’s very agile. I reckon I could ride a medium too but I’d sooner be at the top of the size range for the frame than at the bottom, and anyway it’s for twisty ST

if you’re near Surrey, come and try it, email in profile

lots of seatpost showing, right to the limit – a USE Sumo Ti, 10mm offset

ps for people at our height consider getting shorter cranks than the default 175mm, I run 170 and I defo spin up quicker

mattjg
    Free Member

ps re the stem I run 660mm bars which the trendies would currently consider ‘narrow’. If you’re a wide bar fan, you’d probably be able to run a shorter stem too.

drapper
    Free Member

thanks for the advise lads! i’m over in the emerald isle so will try and get a test closer to home!

fathomer

I’d suggest dropping Cotic a line, I delt with Paul and he was a massive help in suggesting size, stem, layback etc. and got everything spot on.

Scamper
    Free Member

Yep, Paul is the same size as us, and rides a small with a layback, if I recall.

Daniel
    Free Member

5′ 8″ here. I run a medium frame and 90mm stem. Spoke to Cotic and they said I was between frame sizes – I could go small for agility or medium for XC. I’m more of an XC’r and went for medium. Works a treat.

Dan

Daniel
    Free Member

711mm bars and inline post too.

drapper
    Free Member

medium with 90mm stem 5ft 8? you must have very narrow bars?

@Daniel, you got a pic you could post of your setup?

Daniel
    Free Member

711mm wide Easton Haven bars

mattjg
    Free Member

I did ask Paul @ Cotic on sizing, he said he’s the same size as me and can fit a medium but a small is more fun. esp for twisty singletrack. I never rode a medium but the small defo is fun. I have a medium SC Blur Classic too and it’s a tractor in comparison.

@drapper well we’re pretty close to Gatwick too, should you be passing thru this way any time

mattjg
    Free Member

Cotic must get asked this a lot, maybe then need to do a ‘Schmedium’ frame size. Until recently (when gets kids got taller and messed up the figures) we were average height for a male.

drapper
    Free Member

the joys of being on the cresp of two sizes! anyway all advise really appreciated lads

@daniel lovely snap! curious how a 90mm and 711 bar work together…. thought the theory of a wide bar was to be complimented with a shorter stem (sow steering etc).

jruk
    Free Member

I’m about to order a large Soul (I’m 6’1″) and will be going for a 90mm stem with ~690 bars as I don’t like feeling squished. Hope it’s about right.

honourablegeorge

drapper – Member
    thanks for the advise lads! i’m over in the emerald isle so will try and get a test closer to home!

OC Tuning have BFes coming out their ears at the moment, get a sit on one of those. They’re the same geometry as the Soul.

@jruk – I’m 6’1″ on a large Soul, 711 bars, 70 stem, perfect.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Paul is indeed about 5’8″ and rides a small Soul with a 65mm stem, and a slight layback post. From memory he’s relatively long leg/short body though.

I’m 5’10” and ride a medium and it’s a spot on all day fit (70mm stem, slight layback post), although my small BFe is not too much too small – compact rather than cramped if that makes sense.

shotsaway
    Free Member

I’m 5’8 (30″ inside leg) and ride a small Soul (16″ from memory) with a 75mm stem. This feels like a perfect fit.

brakes
    Free Member

5’9″ with a 31″ inside leg, broad shoulders and longish arms 😉
    I ride a medium Soul with a 70mm stem, inline seatpost, 685mm bars, and forks running 140mm travel with 1/3 sag.
    It’s perfect for me – the small would be too short – my forks are probably a bit too long for what the bike is designed for (120mm?) which would mean I would be over the back on climbs.
    IMO if you want a small, get a BFe.

takisawa2

5’9″, 90mm stem but was way too small. Had to get planning permission for the seat post.

saladdodger
    Free Member

5’8″ with a 31 inside leg I ride a medium Soul amd simple with a 70mm stem and a lay back post

Fits me a beaut the small would of felt too cramped for me

drapper
    Free Member

On the small you have a decent stack under the stem to compensate the high Seatpost? 20mm spacers? Keep the for stirrer long is what I’m trying to say

Scamper
    Free Member

My steerer is presently 200mm, and i believe the Small headtube is 100mm instead of 120mm for the M or L. This has resulted in me initially experimenting lowering the stem height a tad compared to my previous frame, and having a few more spacers above. The saddle height is above bar height but not excessive by any means. I can take some measurements later is you need.

drapper
    Free Member

hey scamper you might post a pic of your bike here?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Another Soul Question’ is closed to new replies.