Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • another one ticked off the list. what next.
  • ton

always wanted a Jeff Jones bike, since seeing one years ago.
    so last year i treat myself and bought one. stupidly, this was a couple of weeks before going in for a surgery that would keep me off the bike for 4 or more months.
    finally got to ride it offroad in november, and a bit more and further in december.
    comfy bike, love the position, and reading about the why’s and how’s by Jeff, i got it.
    but for some reason i couldnt gel with it. rode it mainly for commuting, which i know is so so wrong for such a bike, but 10 hours a week on a bike you soon find out if it suits you.
    rode it in the lakes last weekend for 2 days. again comfy, but just didnt feel right. no idea why.
    i am far from fit, and the plus tyres take some getting going, and indeed keeping going. i think it is a bike that needs a fit rider to get the most from it.
    it is not a pottering about bike. i feel i need a pottering about bike.
    lovely bike, love the idea, just not for me.

so what next…….. ❓

cloudnine
    Free Member

Sounds like you need a jump bike or bmx for your next whimsical purchase..

scotroutes

I’ve said this before; you’ve had so many bikes that you must have a really good idea what you liked and disliked about each one. Go speak to someone who could put something together for you that kept all of the good stuff.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If ever there was a man who should be riding a Cleland, it’s you, Ton!

Scotroutes, should be this, shirley?

singlespeedstu

Don’t take this the wrong way Ton but you seem to keep your road based bikes for a relativley long time and ride them a fair deal.
    History has shown that any offroad bike you’ve owned has had little use and been sold on.
    Just think about why that might be happening.

breadcrumb

I would of been tempted to try some 29er wheels on the Jones.

scotroutes

Not sure it would be as good on those Lakes descents.

ton

Don’t take this the wrong way Ton but you seem to keep your road based bikes for a relativley long time and ride them a fair deal.
    History has shown that any offroad bike you’ve owned has had little use and been sold on.
    Just think about why that might be happening.

Stu, i think you are right mate. i think sticking to the touring bike could be the best idea, with a occasional foray onto some gentler offroad.

martymac

29er wheels with schwalbe big apples? Roll well, comfy, not too bad to get going

MoreCashThanDash

History has shown that any offroad bike you’ve owned has had little use and been sold on

So lets recommend what we want next?

Only joking 😉

But whatever you get, I reckon you need to size down at least one frame size…

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Sonder Vir Fortis or Canyon Dude?

SE Fat Ripper?

simondbarnes

Get something nice in medium and pass it on to me when you don’t like it 😉

I think Stu has it

scotroutes

OK- question. What sort of mountain biking is this for?

As you know, I’m a big fan of rigid bikes with fat and plus wheels, and use them a lot. There’s no doubt they can be used like you’re a complete hooligan – lots of videos show this. However, they definitely need an extra level of fitness to get the best out of them. A sturdy 650B/29er Full Sus will be much easier to ride when the going gets rough, especially if you’re less fit. However, it’s inevitably overkill for the more bimbly sort of riding.

I reckon you need to decide what you want it for and choose accordingly. As you’ve shown, throwing money at the question isn’t resolving it.

Maybe it’s really two bikes you need?

thejesmonddingo

Whichever touring bike you’re happy with,and a nice hardtail for when it gets rougher.I dream of doing exciting things offroad,but experience shows me an exciting long travel bike is irrelevant to me,and my do it all 130mm travel full suss is a nice bike,and far more capable than I am. It’s the riding that’s fun,and keeping it that way is what matters to me.

ton

I reckon you need to decide what you want it for and choose accordingly. As you’ve shown, throwing money at the question isn’t resolving it.

Maybe it’s really two bikes you need?

spending money to find something i like is of no issue at all. the thought of riding the same bike for the rest of my days is something i will not do either.
    i like bikes, i love riding them, i am just at a bit of a loss as what to try next.

dont want fs. no plans of riding anything that needs one to ride it.
    dont want to try a full fat bike, like i said, riding the 29+ needs good fitness, i reckon a full fat would be same.
    26” is out of the question because of my size.
    a nice 100mm forked hardtail 29r might be ok.
    or a rigid 29r that is also capable of touring on.

singlespeedstu

i think sticking to the touring bike could be the best idea, with a occasional foray onto some gentler offroad.

Sounds like you already know the answer. 🙂
    As long as you keep riding that’s all that matters.
    Just do what feels right for you.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Get an E Bike.

thejesmonddingo

Yokaiser,I don’t think you know,or understand,ton very well. Ton,I think you need 2 bikes,but you will need to make the decision,good luck with your search.

thejesmonddingo

Stu has it ton,it’s the riding that matters.

chipster

Have you ever tried a Cotic, Tony? If not, try a Solaris.

Edit: I’ve got a large one you can try, or, organise yourself a demo.

llama

If money is not an issue then go custom

But you need to know what you want, and that sounds like the problem

Chew
    Free Member

a nice 100mm forked hardtail 29r might be ok.
    or a rigid 29r that is also capable of touring on.

Just get yourself another Swift Tony

Know you’re a fan and covers all of the above.
    Rigid its more than capable of the type of offroad riding you’ll be doing and a 100mm fork, will give you a bit more comfort.

weeksy

I’d try Solaris too in this discussion.

leffeboy

dont want fs. no plans of riding anything that needs one to ride it.

Possible mistake? If you’re not finding joy with other off-road bikes then why not? Doesn’t need to be a ‘big’ bike, 130mm is way more than enough and they are enjoyable on bimbly tracks as well. The trick will be to find one that is the right riding style for you

sirromj

2nd the Cleland. I kind of like them, would be quite cool as a second* bike. Only thing missing from it is razor blades on the wheels for trimming the undergrowth as you ride through overgrown trails.

*OMFG what am I talking about, as an n+1 bike.

metalheart
    Free Member

If you do try a Solaris (it’s now in the MAX guise) make sure it’s the 29er wheelset. I found, and Colin can vouch, on 650 B+ if your not fit yer mates end up doing a fair bit of waiting for yer…. 😳

Mind you they have for me on 29er too… Hmm.

Also, Cy will do a double up front for ~£100 on top of the 1x price.

But, as chew says, you like the Swift….

scotroutes

But that’s not quite what you were saying up there ^^^

It’s one thing spending on things you like, it’s another spending on things that aren’t giving you any reward.

Like I said, when you’re not as fit, a FS can actually make things a lot easier and therefore more enjoyable. It’s also less demanding on the body.

righog
    Free Member

I know (from what you have said on other threads) that you are not a fan of E bikes……….But things can change I would have on E Bike like a shot in your position…or at the very least give them a chance 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

A mojo Nicolai geometron. Just cos you can, big monster truck made for a big monster guy.

Go for it buddy.

takisawa2

Surly Ogre.
    Spare set of wheels.

Ride it when you fancy a ride, don’t ride because you think you need to get some use out of it, like me & the FS I bought. I’ve pretty much only ever ridden it at BPW. I’ve been a lover of rigid bikes for many years, single speed ones especially. After flirting with some cheaper stuff I splashed out on a steel Niner, & it’s been ever present since, in one form or another. Currently running it with plus wheels, & a daft high rise stem to lift the hands a bit. It’s a keeper.

SaxonRider

Your choice of running 27.5+ or 29. Sorted.

oink1
    Free Member

Fat E-bike??

funkmasterp

I don’t know you at all ton, but if you’re looking to potter about on mixed terrain in comfort, would a Fargo, Vagabond or something similar built to spec not suit? Two sets of wheels and you could have a bike to cover most situations bar any serious off roading.

Superficial
    Free Member

I don’t know about others, but I don’t go riding to experience a bike. It’s just a tool. A means to an end.

Forget about the bike and organise some different rides in interesting places.

roverpig

dont want to try a full fat bike, like i said, riding the 29+ needs good fitness, i reckon a full fat would be same.

I’m not sure that you need to be fit to have fun on a full-fat. More than any other bike, it pays to invest in decent wheels and tyres, but stick (say) some Jumbo Jims on a DT Swiss wheelset and it will skip along as well as most bikes. Perfect bike for bimbling around and enjoying the scenery. You don’t even need a path.

The base model Canyon Dude (in a rather fetching green and orange) is “only” £1,700 and may suit you very well. Buy a large one and I’ll buy it off you when you are done 🙂

NormalMan

Something like a Genesis Vagabond?

Or even an old school Surly Karate Monkey Ops (like I recently bought so I’m biased)?

tomhoward

Lots of storage space…

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘another one ticked off the list. what next.’ is closed to new replies.