Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Another one for the weight weenies
  • 2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Ok, I’m a bit board & as it’s warming up in the outdoor world my mind is drifting back to biking again, hooray!
    So anyway I have not exactly been biking a lot the last few years & since giving up the cigs I’m putting on a bit of weight 🙁 So motivation needed to get out on the bike again, now should I spunk a whole load on the latest & greatest to help with my motivation, or just improve on the bikes I have?

I have some nice, or were once nice, frames in the loft & a couple built up which I will now not realistically use as they are to small for me. I went out for a quick ride on my Scandal rigid 29’er on Sunday & enjoyed getting out, but even with a suspension post I felt it for a few days afterward. Given that I like light weight to help my aging body & J-core riding style should I try to resurrect my Turner burner & 09 sids or just buy more stuff? Will a modern frame that will save about a Lb & some other light weight stuff really make the odds or is the old adage of ride what you have & get fitter be the better option?
    I do know it should really be the latter, but given that my kit is proper old has the technology moved on enough to warrant the spending of much monies?
    FWIW I like the feel of the 29’er wheels, it feels right at 6′, but given that I have managed on a 26″ bike for last 30 years since I became 6′ is it a case of the Emperors new clothes?

Your thoughts appreciated 🙂

Cheers.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Are you really asking this forum if you should buy another bike? 🙂

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Of course I am, but I know deep down that saving about 1kg in bike weight will mean nothing compared to fitness, this is more about motivation! I think 😉

mrblobby
    Free Member

Maybe just get some suspension forks for the scandal?

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I was thinking of that, but my God the price of new forks makes you wince!
    For that cost I could probably make the Turner great again, but I have no idea which would ride better without trying them both 🙁

Cheers.

Mugboo

Buy something heavier to really improve your fitness..

Or 2nd hand forks for the scandal.

grtdkad
    tomcanbefound
    Free Member

Do it!

jasonm945
    Free Member

Even these for the Scandal….

cynic-al
    Free Member

Prices have gone up a lot – and your “old” kit won’t be that heavy.

I’d resurrect it and maybe get some light wheels/tyres, and accept that full suss will NEVER feel as light/fast when pedalling as a HT, but it actually can be faster.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Been looking at those Rebas on merlin myself but they’ve been out of stock for a while. JE James do them at about the same price too and they’re in stock. I’m very close to getting them for my Scandal build.

feisty
    Free Member

Scandal v2 and MTFU? lol

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Thanks all, nice to see even the haters chip in 😉

I’m going to try the Burner again, It always felt it a bit weird when I bought it, but I think that was because I was used to my other smaller & slacker FS bike? I always thought I should try & get used to it as spending that much on a frame & never giving it a chance always felt wrong, but what with the lack of riding I think I can give it a proper go this time… Maybe

Thanks again.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Another one for the weight weenies’ is closed to new replies.