Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Another Llandegla Question
  • DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Toying with the idea of an early blast over there one weekend morning between now and Christmas but I’m confused as to what there is there now as the pdf map on their website seems to be out of date?

Anyway, basically I want to try and do EVERYTHING! The few times I’ve been before I’ve done the red with the black bit at the end but I’ve read on the site about the new skills area and a blue descent to Snowdon view? What I’d like to do is maybe a mornings riding doing the full red, with the black bits, maybe this new blue descent and some time messing at the skills area. Could someone describe / scribble on the pdf if there is a way I could link these sections up into one big(ger) ride using fireroads / cheeky / BW etc?

Or act as a guide maybe? I’ll buy the bacon sarnies afterwards?!

Cheers
    Dave

TrekEX8
    Free Member

Dave, best ride, IMHO, is to park in Llangollen, ride up via World’s End then Offa’s Dyke bridleway which brings you in at post 42, then loop of Llandegla, off at post 42 and a fast drop down the hill. Gives a bit of natural, bit of trail, and a longer ride.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

You got a link to the start point there Trek???

RustySpanner

That climb up past Worlds’ End is fun 🙂

Horseshoe Pass also a bit of a laugh on knobblies if you really want to make a day of it and ride from Llangollen.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Just do 4 laps-green,blue,red then black and a play in the skills bit.All totaled its about 55k.Done it a couple of times-alright for a mornin’.

Haze

I’m pretty interested in the loop up from Llangollen too if anyone’s got some decent info.

I know where it joins Llandegla at Offas Dyke/sleepers, but could do with some pointers on getting to that bit…

RustySpanner

Haze, we were staying at the Abbey View campsite and meeting friends who were climbing at World’s End.

We just carried on up the Horseshoe Pass for a mile or so past the campsite and the pub on your left. We then turned right and dropped steeply down to the valley floor. Turn left at the T-junction towards World’s End, then climb steeply up past the car park and follow the road out onto open moor.

Don’t know where the bridleway links in – we ended up riding a massive road loop to Llandegla, then back on the road again over the Horseshoe Pass to the campsite as we were given some duff directions.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Got an old MBR map of a Llangollen>Llandegla ride but to be honest, I’m only going to have a morning so a trail centre ride makes sense to me (not sure what the natural trails around there are like at this time of year?).

I’d be too tempted to get cleaned up and sit in the Mill in Llangollen for the rest of the day too if I did a ride from there…

Haze

Cheers RS, I’ll dig the OS out when I get home and see if I can pick it up from that.

Quite like the idea of making a longer ride of it and having the cafe as a half way point 🙂

TrekEX8
    Free Member

In Llangollen, park in car park by Ponsonby Arms (no, not joking!). Cycle towards railway station, turn right before bridge, takes you uphill, over canal, past school on right. Bear right past rugby fields on left, take next right up steep hill. Follow road along valley, over ford (v slippy!!), up to moorland, about 1 mile along moors you’ll pick up the bridleway, ride along the sleepers of doom to post 42.
    You pick up Offa’s Dyke Bridleway at GR235495, OS Explorer 256. Good Luck!!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Cheers Trek…

Haze

Excellent folks, thanks!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Bump, anymore ideas of an interesting loop? Since (from memory) most of the decent trails are at the opposite end of the forest from the visitor centre, I don’t particularly want to do full laps just to do each one. Does using Offas Dyke BW help as you could cut around from the end of the red or black to do the other?

Anyone?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Another Llandegla Question’ is closed to new replies.